• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Outdoor HD WiFi Camera? (1 Viewer)

rkruz

Do you any experience using security or other HD cameras for remote viewing and image capture of backyard bird feeder activity? If so can you recommend a camera?

Id like to set up a High Definition camera so I can view a birder feeder remotely.
I would hope to be able to capture reasonable quality stills, get HD video and stream video to a PC. Ive looked at security bullet and PTZ cameras on Amazon in the $200 range. I think would need the following:
High Definition (min 2MP)
WiFi (I could direct wire to ENET if needed)
Zoom (manual is fine. from what Ive seen I can get about 4x zoom)
Control via a windows PC to capture video or stills.
Outdoor
Dont need Pan tilt but it would be a convenient feature.
Price <$300 USD.
Night vision not required

Any advise is appreciated. thank you!

Very far from an expert, but take a look at this list to see if any of then go further than what you have looked at already: http://www.nhbs.com/browse/subject/829/trail-cameras

Niels

thanks. Good thought. Trail Cameras hadnt thought of. I would have to locate at or close to the feeder which is doable. After looking at the availability a bit only a few offer WiFi and none had I could find have 1080P video. Best I have so far is a security camera (bullet) with zoom mounted about 30ft away so I can power it from nearby AC outlet for long term viewing. thanks again!

I work from home, and my office doesn't overlook the feeders. But the feeders are in range of the house wi-fi, so I can point an old mobile phone at them, and watch via skype! There is also an app on android at least called IP webcam, which can turn a spare phone into a remote camera. Had it working, but never found a use for it in the wild. Did dream of sitting in a hide telling people there was a Water Rail under the hide etc!

I work from home, and my office doesn't overlook the feeders. But the feeders are in range of the house wi-fi, so I can point an old mobile phone at them, and watch via skype! There is also an app on android at least called IP webcam, which can turn a spare phone into a remote camera. Had it working, but never found a use for it in the wild. Did dream of sitting in a hide telling people there was a Water Rail under the hide etc!

Great idea. I have an old LG phone with good camera I can experiment with to understand if it will work like I want it. Thanks again!.

The Sunba security camera unit allows one to do a live demo of it. The manufacturer allows you to log into it one of their 1080P cameras, control the PTZ and view the video. 507.sunba.net. Its in China. While it clams 1080P the video seems very poor but maybe thats because of the throughput?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back