• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

US equivalent of Tit family? (1 Viewer)

florall

It's driving me round the bend, I have known this, can anyone help? What is the name of the bird family in the US that is similar to our tit family here in the UK?

We have one species in common, I believe called the Siberian Tit in Europe/Asia but here called the Gray-headed Chickadee.

Bill Bryson in "Made in America" explains that they are called "chickadees" because "tits "was considered too rude by the puritans. Similarly our own Victorian ancestors changed "white-arse" to "wheatear".

David

Bill Bryson in "Made in America" explains that they are called "chickadees" because "tits "was considered too rude by the puritans.David

I wonder what his evidence for this is? Sounds like folk etymology to me.

Similarly our own Victorian ancestors changed "white-arse" to "wheatear".David

I would have thought that "tit" would bother the average Victorian even more than "arse".

Bill Bryson in "Made in America" explains that they are called "chickadees" because "tits "was considered too rude by the puritans. Similarly our own Victorian ancestors changed "white-arse" to "wheatear".

David

Damned Victorians! Should have called them Blackears or Whiterumps really. Since when did arses hurt ears - mind boggles - I suppose it may have something to do with ears being an anagram for arse - but on the other hand, what has wheat got to do with white - or Wheatears for that matter - they normally shun cereals!|:S|

Simon

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back