• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Worcestershire (2 Viewers)

Just off the phone to Brian Stretch. I had a Ringtail Hen Harrier over South Wood (Guarlford, Malvern) Clevelode Lane at 1550 this afternoon. Maybe a 15 second view of it but as clear as day is day, diving and weaving. Nearly crashed my son's car!
No bins with me but they weren't required for the ID!
Dead chuffed.

Just off the phone to Brian Stretch. I had a Ringtail Hen Harrier over South Wood (Guarlford, Malvern) Clevelode Lane at 1550 this afternoon. Maybe a 15 second view of it but as clear as day is day, diving and weaving. Nearly crashed my son's car!
Dead chuffed.

You couldn't string it into a Monty's?

Dead chuffed.

You couldn't string it into a Monty's?

Did it look anything like this ..... http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=2986107#post2986107

Last edited:
Montys

Details now on Worcester Birding. Has been looked for this morning but no sign.

A great find Tracey and thanks for posting your pics on the Q&A thread despite being advised by some birders earlier in the day that it was a Buzzard.

Brian

No Phil.
Much more pronounced "ring". Mine was definitely a Hen Harrier, mate.

Sorry Sy - that doesn't really make much sense to me - not sure what your interpretation of 'ring' is in this context or how it might relate to separating the ringtail harrier species.

Dave

Yes I was too vague there. The bird I saw was not Tracey's bird.
Mine was a brown bird with a patterned upper wing and silver/grey underwings marked black. It had a banded tail and a very prominent white (much more so than Tracey's bird) rump. Given this, the geographical position and the relatively more common occurence of Hen vs Monatgu's, everything pointed to female Hen Harrier to me. I concede however, that my earlier use of "definitely" should have been to seperate my bird from Tracey and not as an absolute species ID.

Dave

Yes I was too vague there. The bird I saw was not Tracey's bird.
Mine was a brown bird with a patterned upper wing and silver/grey underwings marked black. It had a banded tail and a very prominent white (much more so than Tracey's bird) rump. Given this, the geographical position and the relatively more common occurence of Hen vs Monatgu's, everything pointed to female Hen Harrier to me. I concede however, that my earlier use of "definitely" should have been to seperate my bird from Tracey and not as an absolute species ID.

Makes more sense, thanks. I agree that your bird was in all likelihood a Hen Harrier but, on a date of 7th May, Monty's would have to be ruled out which isn't a trivial matter IMHO - I guess you were happy with the structure of the bird being more Hen?

I think I was confused by 'ring' when I thought you may have meant rump but maybe you did mean it in the correct sense - i.e. the tail bands. Cheers.

It is a sad reflection on their present-day numbers that I was quite chuffed to see a flock of 51 Starlings feeding on our recently mown fields this morning.

Spotted Flycatchers at Hanbury Hall

A family of Spotted Flys seen at Hanbury Hall between showers this afternoon.

Attachments

• Spotted Flycatcher 14 june 1 small.jpg
    Spotted Flycatcher 14 june 1 small.jpg
    318.6 KB · Views: 82
  • Spotted Flycatcher 14 june 3 small.jpg
    Spotted Flycatcher 14 june 3 small.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Spotted Flycatcher 14 june 4 small.jpg
    Spotted Flycatcher 14 june 4 small.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 67
  • Spotted Flycatcher 14 june 7 small.jpg
    Spotted Flycatcher 14 june 7 small.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 57
Spotted Fly still at Hanbury Hall. Seen from public footpath that runs in front of Hall. Also found Redstart family (pair with at least 1 juv) in hedgerow over Wast Hills sheep field. Elusive but stunning views difficult to access. I have seen single Redstarts at this site for last few years but later in summer

Is that the same sheep field as the Ring Ouzels from last year or ones up on the top.
Fantastic spotting BTW.
Keith :t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back