• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great bustards 'establishing' in the UK (1 Viewer)

Yes, till about 20 seconds after the protection is removed. Then, "bang, bang, bang" and it will all be over.

Just like Stone Curlews? I'm not quite as optimistic as the news article about how near to establishing the bustards are (many a slip twixt 27 potential nests and any success at all this year) but that's ridiculous. These birds will be Schedule One for many years to come until their numbers are huge and their distribution wide.

John

Yes, till about 20 seconds after the protection is removed. Then, "bang, bang, bang" and it will all be over.

bang bang bang ....shoot all the foxes (or at least the vast majority) within the area and they have a reasonable chance.

Just like Stone Curlews? I'm not quite as optimistic as the news article about how near to establishing the bustards are (many a slip twixt 27 potential nests and any success at all this year) but that's ridiculous. These birds will be Schedule One for many years to come until their numbers are huge and their distribution wide.

John

I do wish I could believe that but Schedule One is little protection for birds that people want rid off,eg Hen Harrier. In this case, the attraction will be something along the lines of shooting "Britain's largest game bird"

By loss of protection I did not mean "removal of protection status" but "removal of physical protection; the eyes and ears that cannot always be there.

I do wish I could believe that but Schedule One is little protection for birds that people want rid off,eg Hen Harrier. In this case, the attraction will be something along the lines of shooting "Britain's largest game bird"

By loss of protection I did not mean "removal of protection status" but "removal of physical protection; the eyes and ears that cannot always be there.

I'd like to know why you think people actually want rid of these? If it comes to that, any shooting interests looking to open a bustard shoot will wish to have a continuous income stream and will not countenance hunting to extermination - possibly the best protection....

John

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back