• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK Wildlife Crisis (BBC news) (1 Viewer)

Ian Latham

Two new studies of UK wildlife provide alarming evidence that many animal and plant species in Britain are in sharp decline due to human activity.

Falls in numbers of butterfly, bird and plant species could be due to habitat destruction and climate change.

A monitoring scheme has been launched by Sir David Attenborough.

Two new studies of UK wildlife provide alarming evidence that many animal and plant species in Britain are in sharp decline due to human activity.

Falls in numbers of butterfly, bird and plant species could be due to habitat destruction and climate change.

Well, everywhere you look there seems to be another damned housing estate or shopping centre going up. Even here on the Isle of Wight, supposedly an 'area of outstanding natural beauty', we've been threatened with 5000 new houses and some have already been built. God knows where the rest will go...there's no room. In my opinion habitat destruction is as big a threat and disaster as climate change, not just in the UK but all over the world.

It didn't need a study to tell them that, it's been obvious for years for anyone who had half a brain and was remotely interested in the environment of the UK !!!!!!!!!

nirofo.

Perhaps!!!

It didn't need a study to tell them that, it's been obvious for years for anyone who had half a brain and was remotely interested in the environment of the UK !!!!!!!!!

nirofo.

Perhaps if these people had a full brain they might just stop the destruction of habitat and allow the wildlife of Britain to re-coup its losses.

Perhaps if these people had a full brain they might realise that their greedy lifestyles are effecting the whole world.

Perhaps it's to late!!!

Hi,

To me it is logic what we are doing to the UK as is being done elsewhere in the world. We don't need expensive reports to prove it. When are they going to stop writing and take action to stop the destruction, if the will is there they can achieve it and we will back them. It will be difficult getting ordinary people to stop their wasteful lifestyles, never happy unless moving upwards and onwards to prove they are climbing the ladder of success.

Ann :egghead:

...not just in the UK but all over the world.

That must be so in some developing countries with expanding populations, but I guess that in many of the East European countries, they might well have declining populations as many of their inhabitants are reported to have chosen to migrate westwards to countries such as the UK, thus overturning our previously declining population projections.

How an already very densely populated country such as England will deal with this renewed population growth over the next decades, I can't imagine. Locally, we have a quite extraordinary plan to build an extra 9,600 homes on pristine wooded countryside as well as build a new bypass along the edge of the most marvellous woodland we have locally in order to alleviate the terrific traffic congestion we will face from the extra traffic generated by all these new residents. Loughborough is already one of the most congested and heavily polluted of UK towns, I gather.

I fear that this government's policies will leave us with a terrible legacy that will come to haunt us. It has the potential to be very sad. Let's hope we prove to be able to cope.

Last edited:
Well, everywhere you look there seems to be another damned housing estate or shopping centre going up.

I'm sure the housing estates don't help, but the more I bird in different parts of the country, the more I realise that declining wildlife is due mainly to Farming practice, Farming practice and Farming practice. A pristine yellow field of rapeseed my look prettier than a housing estate, but the latter is going to provide much more in the way of habitat.

Looking from a plane, even over Britain you realise how large the percentage of farmland is - urban areas are a lot sparser than you think.

There's an easy answer - any immigrants must be sterilised as a condition of entry.

John

No doubt someone will put me straight on this matter.....but was'nt there a birth restriction somewhere in China or Japan that meant that a family was only allowed two children, and could be fined on anything over this limit?

Perhaps this or similar would be a better and more ethical way of keeping a countrys immigration problems to a manageable rate.

Just take a visit to some of Britains old northern towns, and there is a clear sign that an immigration problem has taken effect and is causing bigger issues than just a shortage of housing.

Rich business people have caused this 'snowballing' problem by their insatiable greed and selfishness. It's out of control, and they just sit back from a distance and count their money.

Our whole way of life has been manufactured by the rich to make them even richer and we have followed their 'keeping up with the Jones's' philosophy for so long that we just can't see that the joke is on us.

Wake up!! You don't need half the stuff you are conditioned to believe you do.

an immigration problem has taken effect and is causing bigger issues than just a shortage of housing.

Rich business people have caused this 'snowballing' problem by their insatiable greed and selfishness. It's out of control, and they just sit back from a distance and count their money.

Our whole way of life has been manufactured by the rich to make them even richer

Consumer spending in UK is being fuelled by low interest rates and a massive increase in personal debt.:-

http://www.creditaction.org.uk/debtstats.htm

The "rich" don't need to borrow.

At the same time UK savings levels have plumetted.The rich tend to save a lot.

The UK population as a whole is on a spending binge.

Immigrants are pouring into this country-not because of "the rich"-but because they are willing to work for much lower wages than our workpeople for similar jobs.
They are also willing to sleep in public toilets to avoid the sort of rents we pay:-
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23394886-
details/The+superloo+where+Polish+migrants+are+fighting+to+spend+the+night+for+20p/article.do

The "rich" don't buy the cheap food which the rest of us demand of our supermarkets and which has driven industrial, least cost farming practices in UK.

Colin

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back