• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds in Cumbria (1 Viewer)

Longcroft to Anthorn

Massed geese this side of the Wampool about 3000 Barnacle plus about 2000 Pinkfeet searched through with the scope but could not find anything different with them otherwise the rest of the run home was quiet just the usual Redshank Curlew etc what I did notice was the lack of Golden plover and Lapwing but it was nice to hear the Skylarks singing.
Ian Carswell

Easton this morning

Both the Red- breasted Goose and the Ross,s Goose are present this morning with Pinks and Barnacle Geese a good chance for birders to catch up with them both.
Ian Carswell

Anthorn to Bowness

Lots of Buzzard activity this morning on the way out. Pinks and Barnacle in the hundreds on the Kirkbride to Silloth road,a single White Wagtail with a number of Meadow Pipits near to Cardunock, a flock of 14 Long tailed Tit in Bowness gravel pits, at Bowness railings were 30 Ringed Plover,6 Dunlin and 15 Knot.
Ian Carswell

South Walney Island Nature Reserve:

As I did not go last weekend as planned I visited South Walney Island nature Reserve yesterday(Saturday) and was there the whole day. The sea was wild and the wind very strong but the walk was exhilerating. Arrived at a very high tide

Managed to see the following:-

Redshank, 650+ Dunlin, Grey Plover, Turnstone, Ringed Plover, numerous Eider, Oystercatcher, Lesser Black backed and Herring Gull, Brent and Canada Geese, Reed Bunting, Curlew, meadow Pipits, numerous Wigeon, Teal and Shelduck, 5 Common Seals. There were also Sanderling about. Finally, I watched a Merlin in flight, hunting and perched at very close quarters.

Saw those same three geese I could not ID the last time I was there. They had a white face and white neck at rear and black all the way down front of neck.

The wind remained strong most of the day on the reserve and it was very cold but a thoroughly good walking and birding experience:t: In the afternoon there was blue sky and sunshine. The whole place was alive with birds resting, sheltering, preening, feeding and in flight.

Dean

Dean,

Don't know if you ever got a reply re the geese, they sound like the feral Emperor Goose flock in that area.

Regards,

Stephen.

Dean,

Don't know if you ever got a reply re the geese, they sound like the feral Emperor Goose flock in that area.

Regards,

Stephen.

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the info. I thought that they might be ferral but wanted to know what they were. There have been three there for a while.

Cheers

Dean

Happy Birding:t:

Sourh Walney Island Nature Reseve

Visited South West Cumbria-South Walney Island yesterday. Species seen included:-

60+ Twite
100s of Lesser Blacked back Gulls,
100s of Eider
70+ Redshank
13 Red Breasted Merganser
Curlew
Tufted Duck
Numerous Oystercatcher
Many pairs of Mallard
Numerous Shellduck, Wigeon and Teal
Numerous Ringed Plover, Sanderling and Dunlin
Many cormorant
Greylag and Canada Geese
3 Geese (Possibly Ferral Emperor Geese)
Stonechat
11 Goldfinch
Meadow Pipits
Linnet
3 Common Seals
and finally Barn Owl

45 Whooper Swans were seen on passage prior to me arriving. I also know that Kestral, Merlin, Sparrowhawk and Perigrine had been seen.

Dean

Happy Birding:t:

The three ferral geese at South Walney Nature Reserve recently were definately Emperor Geese. I've now checked them out in a guide book I have.

Dean:t:

Hello,has there been any sightings of the Bassenthwaite Ospreys yet does anyone know? I know that they returned quite late last year but have heard that the males have already returned to the Porthmadog area and also to Loch Garten? cheers.

Hello,has there been any sightings of the Bassenthwaite Ospreys yet does anyone know? I know that they returned quite late last year but have heard that the males have already returned to the Porthmadog area and also to Loch Garten? cheers.

Nothing yet keep watching birdguides
Ian

There is a website for these birds.If you go to bbc.cumbria.co.uk you will find the Osprey website.Our birds are usually later to arrive than the ones re the other Osprey sites.Lots of Wheatears around on our sea defences,the Terns are staking their nesting sites,Pipits in plenty,Eiders in the bay ,here at Haverigg,Grt Crested Grebes displaying in the reserve.If anyone is in this area,a good time to visit.

2 Little Ringed Plover on the river Eden on shingle about 200m upriver from Sandsfield towards Rockliffe this evening. Also 2 drake Gadwall, 29 Goldeneye, male Wheatear and 3 Whooper Swans

cheers Nick

Hello can everyone give me some advice on Skua watching at Bowness on Solway.What is the best weather conditions for seeing Skuas and other seabirds,and do you have to be there at a certain time of day or can you see them anytime of day.Also where is the best place to see them from,and is early May the best time to see them.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back