• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New competition! (1 Viewer)

Elizabeth Bigg

Addicted member
When will the first egg be laid?

Both our nestboxes are receiving more attention now, so you are invited to submit your estimated day for the laying of the first egg in each box.

Some records to assist you - in Box 1, the dates were April 25th 2001, April 18th 2002 and April 24th 2003.

We didn't have a camera in Box 2 until 2002, and we were away when the first egg was laid - but there were 2 eggs when we came home on April 8th, so these were possibly laid on the 7th and 8th. In 2003 the first egg was laid on April 25th.

Please submit entries here (or via PM) by April 6th. No prizes for the winners - but if you ask nicely, you can have a photo of the winning egg! :eek!: These photos show the state of the boxes this morning - and you can also look at our website if you want to study "form"! (Box 1 is on the left).

Attachments

• CompBox1.jpg
    CompBox1.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 112
  • CompBox2.jpg
    CompBox2.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 108
Okay - I'll plump for April 11th ... Easter Sunday sounds like a good day for egg laying !! If I win, instead of a photo, can I name the egg ?

Annie

AnnieW said:
Okay - I'll plump for April 11th ... Easter Sunday sounds like a good day for egg laying !! If I win, instead of a photo, can I name the egg ?

Annie

Yes of course you can name the egg! You didn't say which box this was for - or are you having the same date for each box?

Elizabeth Bigg said:
Yes of course you can name the egg! You didn't say which box this was for - or are you having the same date for each box?
Ah - I'd forgotten about the 2 box accumulator .... I'll go for the 11th for box 2 and 15th for box 1.

uhm, bit puzzled by your dates for last year Elizabeth was just checking your diary and that gave 25th & 26th. I'll go for the 21st for box 1 and 22nd for box 2

OK Elizabeth, here goes.
box 1 april 23rd, box 2 april 25th.
bert.

I feel a decision coming on Box 1 will be 9th April (my wedding annniversary), Box 2 will be 30th April (my brother's anniversary) <yes the same year 1977>.

pduxon said:
uhm, bit puzzled by your dates for last year Elizabeth was just checking your diary and that gave 25th & 26th. I'll go for the 21st for box 1 and 22nd for box 2

Pete - you sent my BP soaring with this!!! I took the dates from the yearly summaries, and thought I must have copied them wrongly - but no, in which case if an error had been made it would have been Malcolm's - relief! However, you appear to have mis-read the diaries - it was not easy to tell immediately when the eggs were laid - but further investigation shows that they are as I said.

Box 1 - 12th April as it lokos a little ahead and things seem to be happening earlier this year and it's my mothers birthday!

Box 2 - 22nd April - fingers crossed ;)

We have had hardly any activity in our boxes so far. Great Tit and Blue Tit have both shown interest but no nest building yet. April 6th is the earliest they have ever started up here.

Update on Box2

Fluffy is getting very enthusiastic today, and doing lots of "nesting wriggles". The problem is that although she is bringing in plenty of moss, she is also taking a lot of it out again!

The two photos below show her speciality wriggles - the only bird we've seen who does them one wing at a time! :eek!:

Attachments

• 200403301109523.jpg
    200403301109523.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 115
  • 200403301110042.jpg
    200403301110042.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 111
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back