• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Caspian/Yellow-legged Gull NW UK (1 Viewer)

Jane Turner

I'm still persevering in my quest to find a Caspian Gull, and I'm having to metaphorically kiss quite a lot of Yellow-leggs and dodgy hybrids in my quest to find one.

Today's attempt is a small bird, 4th cal year I think. I picked it out as unusual as it ran though my scope (out of focus in the near ground). I was half expecting a Ring-billed Gull, based on the long legs and agile gait.

Its here

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2054363&postcount=1225

and the best I manage photo wise (I only got it stationary once!)

Attachments

• SANY0008.JPG
    SANY0008.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 240
Hi Jane (in to gulls ;))

Could well be a 4cy type (obvious white tis to primaries, larger on inner primaries), Yellow-legged by unmarked head similar grey tone to Common and somewhat structure. I don´t see Caspian from this image.

JanJ

There were grey streaks on the back of the neck (sort of a collar) and on the sides of the breast, that my cheap camera has "smoothed" out.

I'll never be into Gulls! Though since I've yet to see a Glauc from home and there is one about, I'll look until I have one of those, a Casp and a smiths!

There were grey streaks on the back of the neck (sort of a collar) and on the sides of the breast, that my cheap camera has "smoothed" out.

I'll never be into Gulls! Though since I've yet to see a Glauc from home and there is one about, I'll look until I have one of those, a Casp and a smiths!

I'd agree it looks a lot more like a yellow-legged due its large head and rather heavy-looking bill.

nothing definite can be said from this pic. i would have tended towards YLG myself but it's impossible to rule out caspian or - for that matter - herring gull from this pic.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back