• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (54 Viewers)

Summary of birds for today
Pintail - Moors

Flashes:
ruff 2 poss 3 birds throughout day
dunlin up to 3 ( only 1 tonight)
Ringed plover 3
snipe 18
curlew 20,
lapwing 170
Greenshank 1
green sand 4
Temmincks 1

Little egret, little grebe , Teal 150+, shoveler 60+, mallard 150, tufted 2, greylag 15,
BHG c1000 roosted,
Yellow wag 2, meadow pipit 6, swallow 20, sedge warbler 2, blackcap, chiffchaff 3,

Sailing pool: grey wag 5

Temminck’s Stint Calidris temminckii

First recorded in 1965 (found by Bill Oddie), Upton Warren remains the best site overall in Worcestershire for this irregular passage wader, although Grimley has received more records in recent years. The species is recorded on the reserve en route to its breeding grounds in the tundra and upland taiga of northern Scandinavia and Russia (and occasionally northern Scotland) from its wintering grounds in central Africa. The reserve has had 17 occurrences involving 24 birds:-

12th May 1965 - 2 birds
1st - 4th May 1972 - 1 bird
15th May 1973 - 1 bird
25th to 27th May 1975 - 6 birds
17th May 1976 - 1 bird
26th May 1978 - 2 birds
18th May 1980 - 1 bird
23rd to 27th October 1985 - 1 bird
12th May 1990 - 1 bird - The Flashes
19th to 21st May 1991 - 1 bird - The Flashes
24th to 27th May 1991 - 1 bird - The Flashes
24th to 26th May 1992 - 1 bird - The Flashes
17th to 18th May 1999 - 1 bird - The Flashes / Amy’s Marsh
12th to 13th May 2000 - 1 bird - The Flashes
5th July 2004 - 1 bird - The Flashes
22nd to 23rd June 2006 - 1 bird - The Flashes
15th September 2014 - 1 bird - The Flashes

The six birds in recorded in May 1975 remains the largest flock seen in the West Midlands region in recent times. The species follows a well-established pattern, with spring records in mid and late May, sometimes staying two or three days. Autumn records, such as the 1985 bird, which sported bright orange legs, are exceptional inland. With its distinctive appearance, it is suspected that it may have been the same bird as seen at Coton in Warwickshire a week earlier on the 19th October. The species appears to show peaks of occurrences, with one in the early to mid 1970s (four in four years) and another in the early 1990s (four in just two years). The 2004 bird was discovered at midday, associating with Little Ringed Plover. It departed west at 7:40 pm with two Little Ringed Plover to be relocated an hour later at Grimley New Workings, from where it soon departed south, again accompanied by a Little Ringed Plover. This bird, as with many of the records, was heard to emit its trilling call for the first time just before it departed the reserve.

Attached is Stuart Croft's pen and ink drawing from one of the early annual reports.

Attachments

• Temmincks.jpg
    Temmincks.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Summary of birds for today
Pintail - Moors

Is that the same Pintail as Friday or a new bird?

Please note that water ski-ing is due to take place tomorrow at Westwood Pool so there is a decent chance that the Grey Phalarope present there this afternoon and evening may relocate to one of three bodies of water at Upton Warren - keep them peeled!

Last edited:
A few shots showing the shape of temmincks....long attenuated rear end (tail and primary projection) and size comparisons with other waders , showing how small they are.:t:

Attachments

• 1, teminksDSCF2384 (2).JPG
    1, teminksDSCF2384 (2).JPG
    322.9 KB · Views: 94
  • 2. DSCF2365 (5).JPG
    2. DSCF2365 (5).JPG
    361.5 KB · Views: 99
  • 3. DSCF2397 (3).JPG
    3. DSCF2397 (3).JPG
    152.7 KB · Views: 127
  • 4.DSCF2451 (2).JPG
    4.DSCF2451 (2).JPG
    221.7 KB · Views: 101

Please note that water ski-ing is due to take place tomorrow at Westwood Pool so there is a decent chance that the Grey Phalarope present there this afternoon and evening may relocate to one of three bodies of water at Upton Warren - keep them peeled!

I would think a different bird as we didn't see it over the weekend:t:

This is Fridays bird . Alan H had the pintail today

Attachments

• 1,pintailDSCF2259 (2).JPG
    1,pintailDSCF2259 (2).JPG
    253.9 KB · Views: 110
Flashes Snaps 15/9/14

1.Temminck's Stint
2.Temminck's Stint & Ruff
3.Temminck's Stint & Ringed Plover
4.Temminck's Stint & Ruff & Snipe
5.Temminck's Stint & Green Sandpiper?

Shots not that good but shows size difference.

Simon P:t:

Attachments

• Temminck's-Stint-006.jpg
    Temminck's-Stint-006.jpg
    466.8 KB · Views: 135
  • Temminck's-Stint-&-Ruff-003.jpg
    Temminck's-Stint-&-Ruff-003.jpg
    463.8 KB · Views: 121
  • Temminck's-Stint-&-Ringed-Plover-001.jpg
    Temminck's-Stint-&-Ringed-Plover-001.jpg
    457.2 KB · Views: 119
  • Temminck's-Stint-7Ruff&Snipe-001.jpg
    Temminck's-Stint-7Ruff&Snipe-001.jpg
    486.7 KB · Views: 116
  • Temminck's-Stint-&-Green-Sandpiper-001.jpg
    Temminck's-Stint-&-Green-Sandpiper-001.jpg
    488.5 KB · Views: 128
Today's Temminck's Stint

I arrived at the Flashes just after 9 o'clock this morning, having had an unsuccessful attempt to refind the Night Heron at Hawford en route. On entering the West Hide I met Alan H, who informed me that there were 3 Ringed Plover and a Dunlin on view. I quickly found these birds plus a Green Sandpiper and good numbers of Snipe and Shoveler. Alan eventually left to go over to the Moors Pool.

At around about 11.15 I was scanning the mud in front of the reed bed on the far side, watching a couple of Sedge Warblers flitting between the reeds and the ground, when I suddenly became aware of another small bird feeding on the mud.

The way that the bird was feeding and its general jizz suggested that it was a wader. Initially I thought it may have been the Dunlin I had seen earlier. However, with my scope zoomed in to the maximum I could see that this was no Dunlin.

The bird in question gave the impression of a very small Common Sandpiper, with a long body and small white divide between the wing and breast. My thoughts turned immediately towards Temminck's Stint. The one thing that bothered me was the colour of the legs which looked dark at that distance and in the gloomy light prevalent at the time.

I rang John B (Upstarts) with my observations of the bird. John said that he would ring Dave W (Woodchat), who was not working today, and get him to come along and have a look. He also rang Alan H to get him back over to the Flashes.

By the time Alan & Dave arrived I had lost the bird. This had happened a couple of times before; the bird having flown and, due to its small size and colour, being difficult to relocate. Thankfully Alan H found the bird again close to the spot where I had initially seen it.

Like myself Dave had concerns about the leg colour, suggesting perhaps that we might consider Baird's Sandpiper. Thankfully the bird did come closer to us and, with the light also improving, we could see that the legs showed a lighter hue to them than we had initially observed. We now had enough visible characteristics to nail the id of the bird: it was indeed a Temminck's Stint.

Some great shots from Dave and John of the bird, and a couple of belters from Vern, have absolutely reinforced my initial thoughts as to what I was looking at.

My thanks to Dave, Alan and John in helping to positively identify this beautiful but somewhat challenging little bird. I hope it stays around long enough so that all the Upton Warren regulars can feast their eyes upon it.

Andy P.

update from Flashes.
temmincks stint. greenshank. ruff 2. ringed plover 2. dunlin. snipe 10. curlew 16.

earlier golden plover flew over moors going south. .

ok it comes to something when you go to upton two days in row and you don't worry about missing a Greenshank twice, glance at 2 pretty Ruff just notice the Dunlin, Ring Plover and Curlew, let alone the ducks, gulls, ravens and hunting buzzards .Anyone would think I hadn't seen a Temmincks Stint

ps has anyone seen a foot?

Attachments

• PICT4307 (2).jpg
    PICT4307 (2).jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 98
  • PICT4308.JPG
    PICT4308.JPG
    407.2 KB · Views: 89
  • PICT4301 (2).JPG
    PICT4301 (2).JPG
    294.4 KB · Views: 89
  • PICT4301.JPG
    PICT4301.JPG
    511.9 KB · Views: 77
work party at Moors

Today the depleted(sickness and hospital appointments basically old age8-P, oh and some are working) crew of 10 cleared the channels in front of the concrete(water rail) hide.
Rationale: To improve views of kingfisher, water rail, little grebe etc and also provide suitable habitat for snipe and spotted crake :smoke: left hand channel.

photos 1 and 2 are before the work
3,4 and 5 after the work
The now wider left channel was heavily raked, resulting in a attractive patch of mud. Keep an eye open for that small, short billed water rail.;)

Attachments

• 1. B4 workDSCF2256 (2).JPG
    1. B4 workDSCF2256 (2).JPG
    268.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 2. B4 wrkDSCF2255 (2).JPG
    2. B4 wrkDSCF2255 (2).JPG
    277.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 3. afta wrkDSCF2471 (2).JPG
    3. afta wrkDSCF2471 (2).JPG
    388.7 KB · Views: 94
  • 4. afta wrkDSCF2468 (2).JPG
    4. afta wrkDSCF2468 (2).JPG
    357.4 KB · Views: 77
  • 5.afta wrkDSCF2473 (2).JPG
    5.afta wrkDSCF2473 (2).JPG
    336.2 KB · Views: 86
Birding on the reserve today.
Moors:
A bit of migration today, with 2 whitethroats on the east side, meadow pipits c6, swallows 10+, golden plover, a common sand was reported by a passage birder but not seen by any of our boys.

Little egret 3, water rail several in new channels in front of both hides , where little egrets also showed well. At least 4 cettis singing. Didn't see any ducks of note.

Flashes:
Teal 155, shoveler 60,
Curlew 20, lapwing c200, ringed plover 3, dunlin 1, ruff 2 juvs (m + f), snipe 12, greenshank - mid afternoon for an hour or so. green sand 3, Temmincks stint juv.
peregrine carrying a jackdaw, hotly pursued by another jackdaw, presumably its mate. Raven 4, swallow 12, meadow pipit 5, gre wag 2, sedge warbler 2,

killer bull

At the Flashes: There has been an injured BHG lay in front of the main hide for at least 2 days. Today the brown bullock, decided to put it out of its misery. It started sniffing the gull, but the gull pecked at the bulls nostrils. After a bout of sniffing, the bull then turned the bird over on to its back. There after it appeared to be squashing the gull into the ground. Five minutes later the bull walked off , leaving the gull on its back legs pointing skyward and lifeless. Some minutes later we noticed the lifeless BHG was now sitting up as if nothing had happened, perhaps this was an extreme case of feigning injury - playing dead.

Attachments

• 6 killerbullDSCF2485 (2).JPG
    6 killerbullDSCF2485 (2).JPG
    315.3 KB · Views: 101
Just had a look at the weather forecast for the next few days ahead - the wind maintains an easterly element up to Monday. The best day now looks like Friday with winds ENE, temperatures up to 20C and rain for most of the day (particularly heavy around midday); with a bit of luck I will be down that morning. Early Saturday also looks good with light rain following on from rain overnight and NE winds.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back