• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yellow Wagtail Subspecies (1 Viewer)

Lancey

Dear all,
I saw a striking Yellow Wagtail this morning that I'm trying to fit to a subspecies or at least a 'characters of' scenario.

This wagtail was associating with four summer plumaged Water Pipits and moved off with them after only a few minutes. So, time was brief and the bird was active all the time. Strangely enough, it was so different looking that I actually thought it was a warbler at first instead of a wagtail.

Features I noted:

Head dull blue-grey with an obvious dark patch over the eye and a barely discernable whitish supercilium. The throat was whitish and the underparts a pale yellow, much less intense than 'our' Yellow Wagtail. The upperparts were a curious mix of brown and green, the green showing quite distinctly on the mantle from time to time. The central tail feathers were black with contrasting white outer tail feathers.

I did actually take 30 seconds of video of it and have attached a poor record shot taken in mist - the actual video isn't too bad but the still doesn't have much more use than to give an idea of what the bird was like. The description above gives the salient features. The wagtail looked for all the world like a Lesser Whitethroat due to the eye mask. In actions it never stopped still and was actively slipping through the grass while a single Yellow Wagtail nearby was a slowcoach by comparison.

The possible candidate that seems to fit this bird is one of the Eastern forms of Yellow Wagtail, 'simillima' , a photo of which appears in Birding World vol 3 no 8 page 278 for comparison. Other forms don't seem to fit this bird but I'm open to opinions. Conventional blue-headed wagtails I've seen have been brighter yellow than this bird with a paler, more powder blue head.

Thanks,
Lancey

Attachments

• wagtail 005.jpg
    wagtail 005.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 284
thunbergi or cinereocapilla sounds like the most obvious choice to me. Had a few thunbergis in Germany last year,..striking birds!

Ashy-Headed/Grey-Headed?

M Cowming,
Thanks for your suggestion. I'd considered these and with reference to photos I discounted them because of the grey colouration of the head whereas it is possible to see in the video - if not the posted photo- that the head has a blue tint to it. I realise that the difference between grey and blue-grey wouldn't be thateasy to judge, but I also believe that the forms you mentioned would look quite yelow on the underparts whereas this was quite dull which is apparently a feature of 'simillima' - so I have read at least.

Thanks again for your comments,
Lancey

cinereocapilla is the most likely from your description, possibly a first year female. These come from the Med so are good candidates for the UK, unlike simillima which would be a major rarity.

Hi Lancey,

I'd have to agree with TWM especially since you mention that the throat patch was "whitish"...which in thunbergi would be yellow.

I'm just going on what is in Collins and I see no mention of the "simillima" subspecies so as TWM says, I'm guessing it's occurrence in these parts would be quite rare.

You got a good look at it and to be fair, the attached photo is hard to assess what with the mist and all..... maybe a closer look at thunbergi and cinereocapilla will reveal what you saw?

Regards and nice find!!!

Ashy-Headed Wagtail

Dear all,
Yes, I agree with your reasoning. Ashy-Headed Wagtail is the most likely candidate. My initial idea seemed to fit this bird but I realise that Ashy-Headed Wagtail is a more likely answer. I've been looking at photos on the Internet of Ashy-Headed, Spanish and Grey-Headed and on balance, Ashy-Headed fits my bird the best.

I was pleased to have found it but realised that unless I took note of the salient features I would never be in a position to actually identify this bird as accurately as I would like.

The wagtail was only showing for two minutes before there was a break in the misty weather, the sun shone briefly and all the Water Pipits it was with (and the wagtail presumably) were nowhere to be found afterwards. I guess they'd made a run for it before the mist returned - which it did soon afterwards.

All in all, a chance sighting really.

Thanks for your help,
Lancey

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back