• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (2 Viewers)

They are on their way south!

Nethy and Deshar, the Loch Garten chicks, are on their way south. The attached Screen Grab, from today's map, shows that Nethy is ahead and is in our area, would you believe!!

Nethy is passing through County Durham, and Deshar is still just in the Firth of Forth area.

Pray for a safe passage for these two beautiful young ospreys!!

Attachments

• Loch Garten Osprey migration.JPG
    Loch Garten Osprey migration.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 95
Hi All,
my son took these pictures with his mobile phone in his back garden at South Hetton. Is this a leucistic Collared Dove or a white pigeon?

Cheers, Mick.

ps.Maybe this white dove should fly around Castle Lake.

It'll not be allowed to settle down the lake for as long as its been in the garden - thats for sure
best send a killer eagle owl down that way;)

bird does look like a Coll Dove Mick
cheers
Steve

Last edited:
Nethy and Deshar, the Loch Garten chicks, are on their way south. The attached Screen Grab, from today's map, shows that Nethy is ahead and is in our area, would you believe!!

Nethy is passing through County Durham, and Deshar is still just in the Firth of Forth area.

Hi June
thanks very much for that link:t:

it looks like its present position is at the small nature reserve at Oakenshaw just north of the Wear Valley (between Brancepeth & Crook)
Looks like it pased over & then doubled back north
The site is quite small, but has mature conifers surrounding it............

ive just posted something similar (on DBC members forum) about a bird that has already made its way south through the County seemingly unseen...? :eek!:
passed through round about 14 Aug
http://www.roydennis.org/Beatrice.htm

cheers
Steve

Last edited:
Dorman's Pool this morning. Little Egret x3, Little Gull 15+. Water Rail c.5 at end of track alongside bund at end of trees. Willow Warbler and tits in the trees. Also Migrant Hawker and several Common Hawker on brambles. Hlaf a dozen Swift still around a a few Swallow.

Photos : 1. Migrant Hawker - 2. Little Gull - 3. Gadwall - 4. Willow Warbler - 5. Cormorant

Attachments

• IMG_9049ao.JPG
    IMG_9049ao.JPG
    156 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_9085aoo.JPG
    IMG_9085aoo.JPG
    208.1 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_9083ao.JPG
    IMG_9083ao.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_8752ao.JPG
    IMG_8752ao.JPG
    160.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_8767ao.JPG
    IMG_8767ao.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 74
Walk round Hetton Lyons and nearby farms this afternoon.
Not much on the lakes other than the normal coots mallards etc and 1 swan.
Oh! and as I approached the boating lake, I noticed something in the distance, crossing the lake, I thought it was a dog, but as I got closer I saw that It was a bloke carrying a ruck sack. He waded accross the lake and got out at the other side,he must've been freezing.

I'll tick him of as a migrant wader :-O.

Not much around the farm areas apart from sparrows, swallows, house martins and a couple of lapwing.

Attachments

• _MG_3540.jpg
    _MG_3540.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 114
  • _MG_3627.jpg
    _MG_3627.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 67
  • _MG_3635.jpg
    _MG_3635.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 53
  • _MG_3678.jpg
    _MG_3678.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 67
Rainton Meadows :

Very windy and not a lot of birds around. I feel the management of the reserve is going downhill.

Osprey low around the reserve mid morning
Also Greenshank, 2 Green Sandpiper, 5 Snipe, 2 Ruddy Duck, 1 Yellow Wagtail, 3 Wheatear, 2-3 Grey Wagtail, 16 Bullfinch, 1 Lesser Whitethroat, 3 Sedge Warbler etc etc

Lots of work going on on the site today, inc haycutting, stone walling for new view point on main lake etc etc;)

Osprey through Local Patch

Hi again June
the RSPB maps are now updated & both youngsters are well on their way:t:

......zooming in on the map, its amazing that they've not only both come safely through County Durham:t:,
but even more so, that they've both crossed the R.Wear at the same point near Binchester...... (it must be shallow there, ay!....? ;) )

Been following the sat.tagged birds, but disapointed that they werent updated over the bank hol weekend....

Funnily enough though..
as luck would have it, ive managed to fluke one passing on my Local Patch this morning, an awesome sight only @50' up & circling the pools:t:

Last edited:
This Morning.

Barmston Pond
10 Ruddy Duck(4 drake,4 fem,2 chicks) amongst the usual.

Timber Beach
c 47 Curlew, c 9 Grey Heron, 250-300 Lapwing and good numbers of Redshank and Turnstone.

Osprey low around the reserve mid morning
Also Greenshank, 2 Green Sandpiper, 5 Snipe, 2 Ruddy Duck, 1 Yellow Wagtail, 3 Wheatear, 2-3 Grey Wagtail, 16 Bullfinch, 1 Lesser Whitethroat, 3 Sedge Warbler etc etc

Lots of work going on on the site today, inc haycutting, stone walling for new view point on main lake etc etc;)

Anyone can say species names , it is actually seeing them counts ;).

Wryneck
The other zillion shots are downloading to the PC but thought I'd convert the last raw file I took and upload for you to see.
For the photographers amongst us - by the time I took this shot the ISO was a whopping 1600 just to get some shutter speed (6.30pm ish) wind started blowing too.
Location was adjacent to Netts factory at Hetton angling lake (I'm sure Mr Evans can put a grid reference up)
Bird was still there when me and CW left.
I'll put more shots up later.

Attachments

• DSC8140.jpg
    DSC8140.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Not posted for ages, sorry, still been birding tho. Good views of B.O. this evening over Bowburn pit heaps.
Osprey in Co. Durham...wow, spent ages watching them in Glen Tanar in Deeside, Scotland.

Wryneck
The other zillion shots are downloading to the PC but thought I'd convert the last raw file I took and upload for you to see.
For the photographers amongst us - by the time I took this shot the ISO was a whopping 1600 just to get some shutter speed (6.30pm ish) wind started blowing too.
Location was adjacent to Netts factory at Hetton angling lake (I'm sure Mr Evans can put a grid reference up)

Hetton Lyons Ind. Est: Wryneck on roadside verges at NZ359471, close to Nets Factory, showing well untill at least 19:30.
Found by DBC Local Patcher M.Heron... although it was on Colins patch;)
will add to this later too, John

Wryneck

Great find and photo :t:

North Gare this afternoon.

Pier - Turnstone x7, Redshank x2, Shag x3, Cormorant 12+, Razorbill x1, Knot x3, Common Tern x3, Sandwich Tern x5, Oystercatcher x2, Curlew x5, Kestrel x1.

North Gare access road/Zinc Works Road - Kestrel x1, Curlew 50+, Stonechat x5 (adults x2 juv. x3), Linnet x2, Meadow Pipit x1, Goldfinch x8.

Photos: 1. Turnstone - 2. Knot - 3. Kestrel - 4.&5. Stonechat

Attachments

• IMG_9294bo.JPG
    IMG_9294bo.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_9306bo.JPG
    IMG_9306bo.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_9361ao.JPG
    IMG_9361ao.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_9471ao.JPG
    IMG_9471ao.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_9488ao.JPG
    IMG_9488ao.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 63
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back