• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

pale blue headed wagtail (1 Viewer)

paulsullivan

Attached are two pics of a very pale blue headed wagtail seen at Freiston Rspb since saturday (also present are two flava and fifty flavissima) and would be grateful for any opinion as to race, thanks
Paul

Attachments

• blue2web.jpg
    blue2web.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 235
  • blueweb.jpg
    blueweb.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 231
Hi Paul,

I too saw a bird reminiscent of this earlier on today (had a slightly paler head), the only thing I could think of is a hybrid between Blue Headed (flava) and Yellow (flavisimma), which then bred again with a Yellow(flavissima), or something along those lines....

Cheers

Last edited:
looks at first glance to have some white-headed (!) in it but they have whiter throats and breasts, also seems to have some yellow in the super so i'd say it has some flavissima in it at least (as well as flava)

apparently, many birds of any grey-headed (small g!) subspecies lack yellow in the super

Last edited:
Please excuse my ignorance, fellow birders. I recently purchased Lars Svensson et al's "The Complete Guide to the Birds of Europe," (for an upcoming trip in June to Italy-Autria-Germany) and he categorizes flavissima as a sub-species of Yellow Wagtail. Is it just that the book is not 100% up-to-date, or are we talking integrades?

overworkedirish said:
Please excuse my ignorance, fellow birders. I recently purchased Lars Svensson et al's "The Complete Guide to the Birds of Europe," (for an upcoming trip in June to Italy-Autria-Germany) and he categorizes flavissima as a sub-species of Yellow Wagtail. Is it just that the book is not 100% up-to-date, or are we talking integrades?
Hi,
Blue headed Wagtail (flava) is the species, flavissima is one of many subspecies.

G

Tim Allwood said:
and 11 other races M.f. whatever

Tim

Hahaha, yes, Tim, I see those too in this book. I'm amazed at the differences between American and Eurasian birds - your warblers are our gnatcatchers (almost), our sparrows are you buntings - it's all quite overwhelming. Good thing I've got 2 months before the trip to learn as much as I can!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back