• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Field Guide for Europe, N Africa and MIddle East? (1 Viewer)

Himalaya

I wanted to buy a field guide for the above region - which is best? Which has most accurate photos/pictures and information?

thanks all for that......so do i go for the latest edition?

The old edition will give you 99.9% of what you need and, assuming you can still get the old edition, I wouldn't have thought any saving would be so great as to make you get that rather than the latest edition,

Try Amazon can get real good bargains. Collins cost about £10 at present on Amazon (the newer 2nd edition). Also can get for £3, Photographic guide to birds of Europe by Svensson (inlcuding P & P) which is cracking value (www.amazon.co.uk).

By the way there are no photos in the Collins book or many other excellent field guides, but quite excellent sketches.

I'll go along with everyone about the Collins but if you can find a copy then 'The Macmillan Birder's Guide to European and Middle Eastern Birds' is definitely worth buying.

That is a good book, but it only covers certain species.

The same (but to a lesser degree) can be said about the old Lars Jonsson, certain species are missing. The old Madge and Beaman is pretty complete, but hardly a field guide, much bigger.

Niels

Thanks for that....but its just britian and Europe no Middle East/North Africa?

It covers all North Africa (except extreme southern parts, such as the south of Western Sahara, etc), plus a good degree of the Middle East, ie as far as Syria and Jordan in full, and certainly useful to the Arabian Peninsula and Iran. Once venturing to the extremes of this area, eg Oman or Iran, then Birds of the Middle East becomes a required compliment (but note this also has one or two holes).

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back