• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Web cam (1 Viewer)

Hi to everyone,

New Member. I would like to hear from anyone who has knowledge about setting up a web cam or recording camera. We have so many different birds visiting our garden we think it would be a good spot.

Any information / Tips would be much appreciated.

well i would say set it up at a distance where the bird fills between 1/3 and 2/3 of the frame. It will work best in a well lit sunny area.

I'll follow this thread with interest. We have many fine birders, ornithologists, and photographers in Louisiana, but we have completely missed the boat on the bird cams. We should have a web cam following our winter-breeding Bald Eagles or perhaps Great Horned Owls, at a time when their northern competitors are not yet set up to breed and giving the public anything to follow. Yet, year after year, we let the opportunity go by. Highly tempted to learn about web cams and get permission to establish an Eagle or GHOW cam myself for next winter. Maybe the park in question could even get a few bucks from google or whoever hosts the site...but I have not learned enough to be able to create a decent proposal yet. We had some adorable families raised this year, and I know people would enjoy it. I'm not as sure that a well lit sunny area is required, although having a feeder web cam would certainly be easier from both a technical and a legal sense. Some nest cams are clearly set up in cavity nest boxes. However, you would want to be sure that you comply with any legal requirements when you are dealing with the nest of a wild breeding bird. I'm thinking it would be very important to connect with someone who has the right licenses, permissions or whatever is required but doesn't have the time to set up a web cam.

Setting up a bird web cam

Hi there!

My husband and I have set up webcams for our hummingbirds here in Simi Valley, CA and we've been very successful.

We are using Logitech HD Pro Webcam C910. We have one set up right now at:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hummingbird-bamboo-cam

for our Anna's hummingbird we named Tink. The camera is about 2 feet away from the nest and about 6 inches (more or less) above it. This allows for movement (L-R, U-D). The camera is in a container to protect it from the elements (the container is a small cut up easter green tin pail). The container is then secured to an upside down L pole using heavy-duty electrical tape so there is no accidental moving of the cam into the nest.

Since the nest is at the front door, we had to connect the cam's USB port to an extension USB port which we connected to our laptop inside the house. We use ustream because it's free but the site has a lot of ads but I guess someone has to pay for the site.

We've also set up the cam to watch our bird feeders with slight modifications.

It's very exciting to be able to watch the birds from the internet and I've been able to watch from my iPhone as well (Ustream free app).

Welcome aboard!
SimiTink

:flyaway:

Just like to thank you all.

I am printing out all replies for reference. Hopefully I can purchase the camera I need.

I am new to forums and trying hard to get to grips with it all.

I Have found online sites which have very reasonable priced web / nest box cameras.

What sort of price would you expect to pay for a reasonably good result? In dollars or pounds sterling (One site I found has currency converter)

Any problems I should look out for?

Thanks again Flying Emu (Is there any proof that Emu's once upon a time flew?)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back