• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bushnell Excursion EX and Opticron Classic 7x36 (1 Viewer)

The-Wanderer

I should be please to hear of the relative merits of these binoculars - I doubt that either bin, that I have in mind, has phase coating.

I've had an Opticron Classic for a few years now. The combination of being small and light, the large exit pupil and nice engineering means I still find it a delight to use. However the FoV is quite modest and I think mine was made about 10 years ago and the (Oasis) dielectric coating technology wouldn't compete with current production, but I can't see myself selling it any time soon.

Prior to getting the Opticron I already had a Bushnell Elite 7x26, and in the hunt for a waterproof low power alternative I did manage to get a look at the Bushnell Excursion 7x36 amongst others. I thought the contrast and sharpness were somewhat lacking compared to the Viking MD 6.5x32 in particular, which was on special offer at the time though. No doubt the Viking was better optically, but I wasn't particularly impressed with the fit and finish of either. I might have gone with the Viking if I hadn't eventually found a good deal on the Classic. I'm glad I waited.

The Opticron definitely has phase coatings, and I'm fairly sure the Bushnell and Viking did too.

David

Typo,

Thank you, as ever, for your helpful response.

I have the Bushnell and I only found any reference to phase coating on the box, nowhere in the documentation.

I like them though, surprisingly with an exit pupil of over 5mm, I find eye placement difficult.

This morning I collected new specs about which my expectations were not high. I was thrilled with them (not quite 6/6 Snellen metric) until one of the bifocal lenses fell out. I was also to pick up a pair of single lens specs but the technician broke one of the lenses in finishing the process.

Apart from the weight, 800 gms, I like the Viking MD 6.5x32 bins; so much brighter than the Bushnells, though I find no information on phase coatings.

The serial number for the Opticron is 001373, so an early one, hence my concern about phase coating. It is in doubtful condition and I do not know how much it would cost to refurbish them. They are a bit highly priced if refurbishing were to prove to be expensive.

I know you've mentioned the high weight of the Viking before but I really don't recall it being an issue. I'm sure I would have have remembered if I thought it was 800g. A couple of online sites list it as 600g.

I don't know Opticron's history with the 7x36 but we know the design has been around for a long time. My sample has a 0002** serial number and the box contained a voucher valid for 2007 suggesting it was made around that time. I don't believe there have been any revisions since.

You can check for phase coating yourself if you have a pair of polaroid sunglasses and a flat screen monitor.

David

Wandy

I have actually tried David's Opticron and it really is very nice indeed. Well worth a try if you are interested especially since it seems likely that the availability of this format will diminish as time goes on.

Lee

Lee,

Thank you for doubting my sanity, memory and or eyesight et al.

I just rechecked and the Viking is a little under 700gms!

Trust me, you cannot believe a word I say, or write, (smileys do not work om my ipad but if they did I would choose the one with drinking the stout).

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back