• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lake District - World heritage site. Monbiots view (1 Viewer)

An interesting take on the application for the Lake District to become a world heritage site.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...e-district-world-heritage-site-george-monbiot

It's his pet subject and he makes some valid points.
I live on the fringes where I've seen some positive changes but more could be done.
On a positive note locally there have been three new large developments within the NP boundary.
The National Trust created a large wetland site,English Nature developed a raised bog from a old pine wood,and the Forestry Commission chopped down a dense pine forest and replaced the trees with spaced out native deciduous trees.
All within a couple of square miles.
Ten years ago I seldom visited the area because it was basically sheep sheep and more sheep with dense pine woods on the fringe.
There was nothing to see here and I'd drive on to better places.
Birds which can now be seen include,Cuckoo,Tree Pipit,Sedge Warbler,Woodcock,Common Snipe,Little Egret,Grey Heron,Stonechat,Reed Bunting,Grasshopper Warbler,Wigeon,Teal,Gadwall,Garganey,Scaup,Tufted Duck,Little Grebe,Red Kite,Marsh Harrier,Oystercatcher,Redshank,Lapwing,Curlew and so on.
I was really pleased with seeing the Cuckoo,Tree Pipit and Stonechat in the raised bog area.I'd gone past there for years when it was just a dense wood, and recorded nothing.The Cuckoo has been there for three weeks,and the Tree Pipit and Stonechat have paired up.This is the first year they've ever been recorded here.
Further afield there are two huge valleys which have a balance between sheep farming and great habitats for birds which attract Whinchat,Stonechat,Cuckoo,Common Sandpiper,Reed Bunting,Skylark,Green Woodpecker,Kestrel.Northern Wheatear,Common Redstart,Pied Flyycatcher,Barn Owl and other birds.
Farmers are beginning to fence off areas from sheep and plant deciduous trees on the fells in response to Storm Desmond.The vegetation than can grow and together with the trees the downward flow of water can be slowed down.There are huge areas like this near Tebay and Borrowdale.
Just yesterday we had a walk in the Winster Valley.Birds recorded were Pied Flycatcher,Redstart,Garden Warbler[8],Blackcap,Willow Warbler,Chiffchaff,Buzzard,Grey Heron and a few other bits and bobs.
There is a mix between sheep farming,a Cumbria Wildife Trust reserve,decidious woods and some marvellous scrubby areas which attract the Garden Warbler in particular.
Just near Crook the farmer has lots of sheep and cows but in between there are large areas of gorse and other shrubs as well as a deciduous wood.Birds here include Yellowhammer,Garden Warbler,Blackcap,Common Redstart,Buzzard,Cuckoo,Green Woodpecker and Northern Wheatear.
There are loads of places like this and this is just in one small corner of the Lake District.I often write to George and tell him what's going on locally and that its not all doom and gloom.

Last edited:
Just had a walk around the fells above Crook.
It is a typical Lake District upland area.There are some areas with George's pet hate of wall to wall sheep fields interspersed with deciduous woodland, and a huge area of mainly gorse as well as other shrubs and trees.
The area hasn't changed in years.Its very sparsely populated and not swamped with walkers or visitors.If anything some of the habitats have been improved with some planting of deciduous trees and hedgerow shrubs.
The scores on the doors:
1 Cuckoo[regular here]
2 Yellowhammer[regular and like hen's teeth hereabouts]
1 Common Redstart[ there will be more around than this most likely.They breed here regularly but I saw just the one today]
4 Linnet
An impressive 18 Willow Warbler
4 Chiffchaff
1 Common Whitethroat
3 Garden Warbler
3 Blackcap
2 Buzzard
2 Raven
3 Northern Wheatear
8 Meadow Pipit
3 Green Woodpecker[classic habitat for them here]
2 Siskin
2 Bullfinch
6 Pied Wagtail
6 Mistle Thrush
1 Tawny Owl
Several Robin,Chaffinch,Great Tit, Barn Swallow, Greater Black Back Gull, Wren,Blue Tit,Magpie,Crows,Starling and Blackbird.
2 Hares as well.

Not a bad return.All of these species have been here since I started going a few years ago.
Its got the right balance between recreation,business,farming and nature.There are plenty of footpaths and stiles,a small scale 9 hole golf course,a few caravans on the grounds of a farmhouse,enough land for sheep and cattle grazing and a variety of habitats for nature.
There are many other areas around the South East Lakes like this which haven't been totally overrun with sheep.
Good for George though for highlighting the need to vary the habitats in the Lakes.He doesn't live here though and he's a very busy man so I'm not sure he is fully aware of some of the nooks and crannies that do exist where there is a mix of farming and wildlife, or some of the habitat improvements that have taken place in recent years.
All power to his elbow!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back