• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ecuador: Rainforest and Andes (1 Viewer)

donfallon102

I am signed up for this trip with Field Guides Inc. We need 2 more people to sign up or the trip will be cancelled. It should be awesome!
Field Guides is a world class organization. I have gone to Costa Rica, Brazil and Kenya with them, and each of those trips were amazing!

This is the last year that this specific trip will be offered.
The great thing about this one is the variety of habitats. One week up in the Andes (on both western and eastern slopes), and one week down in the Amazonian rainforest.

I really hope I can drum up some interest to make this trip happen!

Ecuador: Rainforest and Andes, Sept 3-17, 2017.
Only $5175 plus airfare to and from Quito.
More details on www.fieldguides.com.
Cheers,
Don

I am signed up for this trip with Field Guides Inc. We need 2 more people to sign up or the trip will be cancelled. It should be awesome!
Field Guides is a world class organization. I have gone to Costa Rica, Brazil and Kenya with them, and each of those trips were amazing!

This is the last year that this specific trip will be offered.
The great thing about this one is the variety of habitats. One week up in the Andes (on both western and eastern slopes), and one week down in the Amazonian rainforest.

I really hope I can drum up some interest to make this trip happen!

Ecuador: Rainforest and Andes, Sept 3-17, 2017.
Only $5175 plus airfare to and from Quito.
More details on www.fieldguides.com.
Cheers,
Don

For a Brit including an airfare that will be c£4500 for 2 weeks.

Hope it happens for you, I'd love to do it but I think that's pricey personally?

A

I think that's pricey personally?

A

Actually, looks pretty competitive to me for a tour of that length with a top notch tour company. It includes an internal flight and the tour is limited to 8 participants. I wouldn't expect budget pricing--or budget accomodations--from Field Guides. (Wings, another American company, is charging $4100 for a 10 day tour that only covers the Amazon area). But of course I can understand that some might want to explore less expensive options.

Jim

"For a Brit including an airfare that will be c£4500 for 2 weeks."

That's 10% more than the combined cost of my last two S America trips |8.| 25 days in Colombia and 28 in Peru, both of which produced around 550 species including most of the available specialities.

"For a Brit including an airfare that will be c£4500 for 2 weeks."

That's 10% more than the combined cost of my last two S America trips |8.| 25 days in Colombia and 28 in Peru, both of which produced around 550 species including most of the available specialities.

We did Venezuela 2 years ago, 3 weeks, fully guided, two internal flights and it cost about £3K all in.

A

Actually, looks pretty competitive to me for a tour of that length with a top notch tour company. It includes an internal flight and the tour is limited to 8 participants. I wouldn't expect budget pricing--or budget accomodations--from Field Guides. (Wings, another American company, is charging $4100 for a 10 day tour that only covers the Amazon area). But of course I can understand that some might want to explore less expensive options.

Jim

Not sure you can compare the Amazon Jim, it's stupidly expensive mainly due to the cost of accommodation and access.

A

Not sure you can compare the Amazon Jim, it's stupidly expensive mainly due to the cost of accommodation and access.

A

Andy,
The trip the original poster is talking about includes the Ecuadorean Amazon. The one Field Guides ran in 2015 with the same guide (Wily Perez) garnered 585 bird species and 14 mammal species in just two weeks. So it may be attractive for those with limited time who can afford it.

Last edited:
Supporting Jim's comment above, Field Guides is not the cheapest; they are just the best.
Hoping there are some folks out there that would love to join what should be an extraordinary trip.
Don

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back