• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

User with early stages of Parkinson's (1 Viewer)

mgsphilip

I am a binocular user with the early stages of Parkinson's. I now use 6x binoculars and find that these low power binoculars provide an acceptable image. As my disease progresses I will have to consider using image stabilising binoculars. Has anyone with Parkinson's, experience of using image stabilising equipment?

I have no experience of IS bins I'm afraid, but would buying a monopod and strapping the bins to it be an option?

I have tried using a monopod. It helps stabilise the image but it is difficult to follow moving objects with binoculars coupled to a monopod.

I have tried using binoculars mounted on a tripod. An excellent combination for distance viewing of landscapes.

However I prefer the experience of using my Nikon ED50 telescope with a 16x eyepiece. The wide angle view is like looking through a clear widow, the image is almost distortion free.

Apologies, I know very little about the disease and the degree of stabilisation that might be required. From my limited experience of Canon IS I suspect the dynamic range may not be adequate. I believe the Fujinon and Nikon may be better in that regard. It might be a naive suggestion, but I find weight to be a very effective damper. Adding a few hundred grams to your current pair is a very cheap experiment.

Best wishes,

David

The traditional viewpoint is that heavier binoculars provide a more stable image than lighter binoculars. ( something to do with inertia?)

As an early stages Parkinson's sufferer I find the opposite to be true.

I am a binocular user with the early stages of Parkinson's. I now use 6x binoculars and find that these low power binoculars provide an acceptable image. As my disease progresses I will have to consider using image stabilising binoculars. Has anyone with Parkinson's, experience of using image stabilising equipment?

I could easily imagine that IS does help you. I'd recommend the 10x30 Canon IS because of lightweight. It would be very useful to try these in a shop before buying. An alternative with a more effective image stabilisation would be the 12x32 Fujinon Technostabi. But this comes with an increase of weight compared with the Canon.

Steve

I have only tried Canon 10x30 briefly, and the stabilization is amazing. However, there was an odd dizzying effect on me, although few people complain of it. The stabilization removes all visual queues as to your body orientation. The image was steady, but I felt like I was beginning to lean over. The image remained steady, and the effect got stronger, until I darned near toppled off my feet! I imagine a little practice would get over that though.

I've read some discussions of the merits of the various brands. It is said that while the Fujinon and Nikon have a greater angular stabilization range, they are most effective for the rather slow undulations of a swaying boat. The Canon allegedly works better for the higher frequencies of nerve jitters.

You have a good attitude. Good birding and good luck.
Ron

Hi - very sorry to hear about your situation. My father-in-law had Parkinson's disease and still found he could use 7-8x binos, however I am sure he would have benefited from image stabilisation.

Best of luck.

Andrew

Pose a question up in the Canon subforum. There are some IS users here, but your question, as it appears on the displayed line, would not especially attract their attention. You can even do a search of that forum on various keywords like "10x30" and found a lot of information.
Ron

I have had Parkinson's for about 5 years. And the setup that works very well for me is a pair of Zeiss 7x42 on a monopod with a swivel head.

The7x42's large exit pupil helps a lot

The monopod is a Bogen 334B three (3) section monopod that utilizes a single handed trigger to quickly adjust the height.

If you do most of your birding looking fairly horizontal you don't need a head. You can just attach a Leica universal binocular adapter to the monopod and you are in business. I have owned both the Leica and Zeiss universal adapters and I prefer the Leica model

If you look up into trees you need a swivel head between the monopod and the adapter. You can buy the simple (and cheap) Bogen 234RC Monopod Tilt Top head. Or a better and smoother unit would be the Bogen 700RC2 and just take the handle off.

The monopod costs about $100. The 234RC head costs about $40 and the Leica adapter costs about $100. So for about $240 you can whip that blankety blank Parkinson's Disease.

My PD is so bad that I am unable to write at all. But the above described unit keeps me doing the thing I enjoy

God bless

Dan Bogler

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back