• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

CA in Minox, Leupold and Opticron internal focus Porro Binoculars (1 Viewer)

bh46118

Does anyone know if the Leupold Cascade 10x42, or Opticron HR WP 10x42 internal focus binoculars have less visible CA than the Minox BD 10x44 BP ?

Thanks Bruce

iveljay

I really enjoy my Minox BP 10X44 BP, although under certain conditions the CA bothers me a little bit . The reason for the question is that the allbinos review of the Opticron HR WP 10X42 indicates that it has considerably less CA than they found in the review of the Minox BP 8X44 BP. I was hoping John Dracon might weigh in as I believe he has both the Minox and the Leupold.

Thanks Bruce

Hi Bruce,

I hope someone can respond to this as you have now got me interested.

I wonder if sample variation comes into this as I have to really try hard to see any CA on my 10x and that is at the edges. I have the 8x version as well and the dioptre correction was well out from new, not a problem as it works well enough otherwise, but an indication that these were not assembled in an alpha environment.

I look forward to someone coming back on this.

Hi Bruce - Can't comment on CA since I don't see it, don't look for it, etc. Some quick opinions. The inside mechanism appears to be identical in the Leupold, Opticron, and Minox. Slightly more light coming through the MInox with 44 MM objective lens as opposed to 42 MM in the other two, but I can't discern any gain. I mentioned in a different post a test at dusk comparing the Leupold 8x42 and Minox 8x44 to my Nikon SE 8x32 and Zeiss 8x32 FL. Both porros outperform the latter two in detail and color in really fading light when looking at deer and cattle. A fellow talked me out of the Minox after comparing it to a host of alphas he had. John

iveljay, John

Thank you for the reply's. If anyone else has experience with these models please jump in .

Bruce

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back