• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

best 8x32 binoculars under £100 (1 Viewer)

That price translates into $160 US...at the moment.

My experience with 8x32 roofs at or below this price point...purchased at full price...is fairly limited. This is because of two issues. One, typically roof prism binoculars below this price point aren't phase coated. Without the phase-coating you are missing out on the potential for the best image a roof prism bin can generate. The image won't appear as sharp or as bright as a phase-coated model of similar design.

Two, I have found some very nice deals in the last year on 8x30-somethings when they become discontinued or demo units. These bins then do fall within your price range. Their "new" pricing wouldn't though. Probably the only one that I am aware of that would fit your criteria, and mine, would be the Promaster Infinite Elite 8x32...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Promaster-I...260644871504?pt=Binocular&hash=item3cafa51d50

I have the same bin rebadged under another name and am very pleased with the size and overall optical performance for the price (wide field of view, reasonably bright and sharp image).

Now, there are a couple of roof prism models of the 8x42 configuration that are offered in this price range and that are phase coated. Keep in mind that two of them are as compact as many 8x32 models currently on the market.

Atlas Optics Radian ($130)

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/atlas-optics/atlas-optics-radian-8x42-binocular

Swift Reliant ($115)

http://www.opticsplanet.net/swift-10x42-hcf-trilyte-waterproof-binoculars.html

Zen Ray Vista ($130)

http://www.zen-ray.com/shop/binoculars/vista8x42.html

Last edited:
I looked up both the models you mentioned. I would go with the Barr and Stroud because it is phase coated. It is strikingly similar to the Promaster Infinity model I referenced as well as the Dakota Elite 8x32 that I own...just a slightly narrower field of view.

thanks for taking the time to reply to my question FrankD. Looking at the US market it is surprising how cheap your binoculars area, such a shame we cant have them so cheap over here! The bins are for my partner which is why I want small and light, and less than £100 so I can afford to buy her some other xmas presents too! So I will probably go with the Barr & Stroud.
cheers

...... So I will probably go with the Barr & Stroud.
cheers

Interesting, I certainly did not know this brand. But from the specs and description they look very attractive in the intended price range. Let us know what you think about them once you have them. Presuming your partner lets you have a look at all. ;)

Opticron Oregon, waterproof roof prism, if still under £100?

I bought a pair off the internet for £75 + p&p of about a fiver. I bought them as a lightweight pair for when I was dog walking, they are that good I now use them all the time even for sea-watching and leave my 8 & 10x42s at home.

I bought a pair off the internet for £75 + p&p of about a fiver. I bought them as a lightweight pair for when I was dog walking, they are that good I now use them all the time even for sea-watching and leave my 8 & 10x42s at home.

Another vote for these bins - I tried them at the Sagres Bird Festival (Portugal) just recently and they are by far the best cheap bins I have looked through - and nitrogen purged to boot! When I asked the price I was expecting to hear 300 or something - brilliant.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back