• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fuente De Piedra Lagoon (1 Viewer)

John Hague

aka The Drunkbirder
Morning all, off to Spain next Saturday and driving from Malaga to Seville for a couple of nights before heading into Extremadura.

Does anyone have any up-to-date information on the state of Fuente de Piedra Lagoon? Greater Flamingo is a huge gap in my (pretty crap) WP list.

Thanks

Not bee to Piedra this spring, but water levels were well down compared to 2010/2011 in western Andalucia this spring. However, they are still above the level of recent years so I doubt that you have much trouble with seeing Greater Flamingos at Laguna de Funte Piedra (although you might want a 'scope for good views). Check out the flock for any smaller bright scarlet blobs which are likely to be Lesser Flamingos. Check out my blog (or contact me directly) for other sites on your route for Flamingo, Great & Little Bustard, etc around Osuna,

After you've been to Fuente de P, it might be worthwhile visiting the Laguna Dulce just east of Campillos. I guess the water level here will have fallen considerably too since I was there in Feb, but if there's a bit of water it's usually good for ducks and waders, and the fields around could be good for almost anything!

Bob Wright was there yesterday on the way back from Osuna - details on his blog:

http://birdingaxarquia.blogspot.co.uk/

Many of the Greater Flamingos will have dispersed now, since they have abandoned their breeding attempts due to low water levels this year. Don't think the Lessers have been spotted recently.

A word of caution parking at the visitor centre. I was told by a Spanish based British birder to be careful parking there has been a spate of crime. Park in view of centre! not hidden under the rock face.

I was at the Laguna in January, flamingos for the most part distant but if you travel around the laguna, a few places can be found where you can get closer and hopefully close views of the Flamingos.

There seems to be many more than normal adult Greater Flamingos at the moment through the Algarve's wetlands - perhaps reflecting the winter drought in southern Iberia? In a few sites there are 2-300 adult birds compared to just a sprinkling many years.
Oh, and by the way, its easy to get within 100m or much less at some sites - they can be extremely tolerant.

Hi John

Laguna Dulce is an alternative, near to Campillos, about 10 minutes away. Failing that, there is Laguna Salada, to the south-east of Campillos, which would be my best bet!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back