• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Smooth-billed Ani Status? (1 Viewer)

WGPu

Providence Petrel
I will in be central FL next week and wanted to head south one day late in the week to see if I could add Smooth-billed Ani to my life list. I notice on the South Fl Rare Bird Update that they are being seen regularly at Jonathan Dickinson SP and at Loxahatchee NWR.

Which of these seems to be a better shot?

Is there evidence of nesting at both locations?

Thanks very much. :t:

I will in be central FL next week and wanted to head south one day late in the week to see if I could add Smooth-billed Ani to my life list. I notice on the South Fl Rare Bird Update that they are being seen regularly at Jonathan Dickinson SP and at Loxahatchee NWR.

Which of these seems to be a better shot?

Is there evidence of nesting at both locations?

Thanks very much. :t:

I have never seen this bird myself, but I am definitely going to keep an eye out for it now that you mention it.

Seems like your chances are just as good at either location based on the recent reports. Coming from central Florida on a day trip, I'd suggest Jonathan Dickinson over Loxahatchee NWR.

You would save roughly 1.5 hours of drive time from your round trip going to Dickinson versus Loxahatchee. Not to mention that just about two miles north of the Jonathan Dickson park is the Hobe Sound NWR, which has a scrub trail of its own and beautiful beach. Not to mention that the mosquitos are intense along the marsh trail at the Lox (where the Anis are reported), and they are not really that bad at Dickinson.

The only caveat to all this is that, as a local, the Lox is the only place I've ever heard about Anis being seen by word of mouth, it has kind of a reputation for having both Smooth Billed and Groove Billed Anis, if I am not mistaken, whereas this is the first I've heard of an Ani being spotted at Dickinson. Take that with a grain of salt, though, since these reports seem to be a pretty good indication that Dickinson is a good place to look.

Other birds to keep in mind, at the Lox you'll have a great chance of spotting a Snail Kite, and at Dickinson there is a population of Florida Scrub Jays.

Success!

Proavis, I should have posted this a while back, but we saw the Ani at Jonathan Dickinson. Pretty easy. Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back