• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding around a Disney holiday - Apr 2017 (1 Viewer)

malskelton

Enthusiastic Amateur
England
Hi all
I’m coming across to Florida to take my 9 year old to Disney in April 2017 – but I’m desperate to try and do more than just spend all of my time in queues and would love to try and get some birding in during the trip

One of the birds I want to see more than anything is a hummingbird

When I was in San Francisco in 2010 I went searching in Golden Gate Park but came up empty handed, I would love to put that to rights in Florida

I would love any advice on sites for hummingbirds or just general birding within the general vicinity of Disney / Orlando. Also, are their bird guides available to hire who could do a guided day or half day trip ?

Thanks in advance for the help

Mal Skelton

Thanks for the information - love the ebird map, will definitely make use of that resource

Carlos - are those your trip lists from Disney yours ? They are very encouraging that I may be able to do some additional birding while wandering round the resort and parks

Mal Skelton

Hello Mal:

I have birded sites around Disney but not Disney itself. I think you should be able to see some nice birds in the Orlando area, regardless! Have fun with it.

Note on hummingbirds at Mead: feeders are no longer being maintained there - so the hummers can be seen in the butterfly or garden - most likely around the coral honeysuckle.

Some good birding spots around Orlando are Orlando Wetlands Park that offers free tram tours on a first come first serve basis on Fridays and Saturdays - check out their website to arrange for other days... (I'm a volunteer there);
Lake Apopka has an 11-mile wildlife drive open on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday - has lots of bird species, but I've never - or, I can't recall seeing a hummer there.

And, if you are using ebird to research hotspots and species, you may find filtering by area helpful. From the home page, select Explore a Region. Type Orange, FL (as, Orlando is located in Orange County).
Then, click the Hotspots tab ... and a list of hotspots in Orange County appears with links to scads of info.

Other counties close to Disney are Lake, Osceola, and Brevard - which is where Merritt NWR is located.

Hi Mal.
I've just got back from florida.
Not sure about hummers but birding anywhere there is awsome. One of my favourite sites is Lake Tohopekaliga. Look out for Snail Kites, bald eagles, vultures etc. Also Swallow Tailed Kites will be around.
Merrit Island wildlife reserve is a must. Roseate Spoonbills are a personal favourite as are Florida scrub jays. My best day would have to be a Gatorland, it would be a fun day out for your 9 year old aswell as fantastic birding for you. Check out the breeding marsh area where there are hundreds of nesting egrets, herons and storks close to the boardwalk.
Have a great trip.

Hi Mal. I don't know how far west of Orlando you are going to travel but a great place in Polk County lakeland outside of Orlando. A place called Circle B bar reserve is a wonderful place to go. Have never seen any hummers there but alot of other birds. You won't be disappointed if you can find the time. Alot of alligators too. Birders come from all over the state to come to it.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back