• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with Hummingbird ID ? (1 Viewer)

cgbirds

I have had a large number of Hummingbirds coming to my feeders for the past few years. More and more every year. I have been looking at pictures to try and ID the type. The closest match I have found looks like it is the "Broad Tailed Hummingbird". But the info I have read online does not show them being in my area.
I have had what seems like the same group coming to my feeders from July until October. This year I have dozens of them. So many that they empty a 72oz and a 48oz feeder in less then 2 days. I am on my second 25lb bag of sugar from Costco already this year, but I am not complaining because I love to watch them.

I would appreciate any help in figuring out what type of Hummers these are.

Please see the attached .jpg

Thank You for the help,
cg

Attachments

• birds.jpg
    birds.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 80
  • birds2.jpg
    birds2.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 68
  • birds3.jpg
    birds3.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 84
  • birds4.jpg
    birds4.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 86
  • birds5.jpg
    birds5.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Wow, having so many hummers at your feeder is fantastic! I occasionally see one in my yard but have never been able to get them to the feeder

I received messages that suggest that these are Anna's Hummingbirds. Thanks very much for that feedback. When I first started trying to figure this out I looked at pictures of the Anna's, but the males looked very different from what was at my feeder. But looking online again I do find many examples that are very similar to the birds at my feeder. Anna's are supposed to be very common in my area, so it makes sense that these are Anna's.

Thank You
cg

I'm north of San Francisco and I have at least 18 Anna's at my feeders now and I expect them to spend the winter here as they've done in previous years. They manage to clean out three of my four feeders (lg.sized) every day so the sugar goes quickly. By the way, the fourth feeder is "owned" by what I feel is the grandpa of the group and no one messes with him.lol

I'm waiting for a Broad-Tailed. Reno really isn't that far away. It would be my 7th species at the house. Also watch the skies for Condors. Eventually.................

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back