• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advise needed on Leica compact binoculars! (1 Viewer)

manishkulkarni

Hell All Binocular Gurus!

I'm an absolute newbie to binoculars having never owned one! And hence I'm reaching out for some advise...

My son is coming up two and I'm anticipating a lot more outdoors activity, occasional bird watching, sports esp. cricket, concerts, safari trips etc. and hence looking for a top-notch compact all-rounder... after a lot of rummaging, I kind of narrowed down on Leica Ultravid 8x20 or 10x25, and even visited the Leica shop here in the City (Royal Exchange). I loved both, esp the 8x20 for it's compact size whilst compromising on the FoV. I'm pretty sure if I went for anything larger 10x42 I wouldn't be carrying it around as often! :)

So I've two questions:

1. Any preference between 8x20 or 10x25, I ask only because I've read more than once that 8x is usually better to focus and steadier than 10x

2. More importantly, what's exactly the difference between the Colorline range which is considerably more expensive...?! E.g. 8x20 is c.450 whereas the Colorline version is c.700... I'm unable to find much on the web including Leica's website, and even the guy at the shop was clueless...! I've asked them to find out and revert, but nothing yet... I'm wondering if spending an extra £250 on Colorline is worth it...?!?!

Would be grateful for any guidance!!!

Regards,
Manish

Hell All Binocular Gurus!

I'm an absolute newbie to binoculars having never owned one! And hence I'm reaching out for some advise...

My son is coming up two and I'm anticipating a lot more outdoors activity, occasional bird watching, sports esp. cricket, concerts, safari trips etc. and hence looking for a top-notch compact all-rounder... after a lot of rummaging, I kind of narrowed down on Leica Ultravid 8x20 or 10x25, and even visited the Leica shop here in the City (Royal Exchange). I loved both, esp the 8x20 for it's compact size whilst compromising on the FoV. I'm pretty sure if I went for anything larger 10x42 I wouldn't be carrying it around as often! :)

So I've two questions:

1. Any preference between 8x20 or 10x25, I ask only because I've read more than once that 8x is usually better to focus and steadier than 10x

2. More importantly, what's exactly the difference between the Colorline range which is considerably more expensive...?! E.g. 8x20 is c.450 whereas the Colorline version is c.700... I'm unable to find much on the web including Leica's website, and even the guy at the shop was clueless...! I've asked them to find out and revert, but nothing yet... I'm wondering if spending an extra £250 on Colorline is worth it...?!?!

Would be grateful for any guidance!!!

Regards,
Manish

I prefer 8x20 BL because it is most compact, lighter, more depth of field, larger true field of view.
Colorline costs more just for the fun color. It is optically identical to the black version.

--AP

What AP said.

I would also add that if you have the opportunity, to check out the Swarovski 8x25 CL-Pocket. Yes, it is larger and heavier than the 20mm Leica, but it is not overly large or heavy. IMO it is a better "all-round" bino than the 20mm Leica. We own both, along with a lot of other binos of various sizes. I know that if I were to have just one bino and had to pick between these two, it would certainly be the Swarovski because of it's wider and brighter view and larger twist-up eyecups.

Or wait a month for the new Zeiss Victory 8x25, with an even wider field of view than the Swaro 8x25.

For a compact I would choose 8x over 10x any day, because for me small size, small exit pupil AND 10x (more shake) is really too much to handle comfortably.

For an allrounder a small 8x30/32 would be even better. Leica makes a very nice small, light 8x32 Ultravid...

George

Or wait a month for the new Zeiss Victory 8x25, with an even wider field of view than the Swaro 8x25.

For a compact I would choose 8x over 10x any day, because for me small size, small exit pupil AND 10x (more shake) is really too much to handle comfortably.

For an allrounder a small 8x30/32 would be even better. Leica makes a very nice small, light 8x32 Ultravid...

George

I thought I had read that the FOV of the new Zeiss 8x25 and the Swarovski CL-P was the same, so I went back to their respective websites (English versions) and sure enough they both list 357 feet. The new Zeiss 8x25 looks very interesting, so I am looking forward to trying one.

For anyone who might be interested in a good 8x25, here are a few differences between the new Zeiss and the CL-P: the Zeiss weighs 1.3 ounces less, has 0.5mm less ER, and is longer than the CL-P by one-tenth of an inch. Of course, this is only if the two resepective websites can be believed.....

8x25 binoculars are the same size as 10x25 binoculars when it comes to carrying them around.

8x25 and 8x30 binoculars will be easier to use than 8x20 binoculars because they have larger eye cups than 8x20 binoculars and these are the connections between the binoculars and your eyes. Their exit pupils will also be slightly larger than those on an 8x20. (The exit pupil is the clear circular dot you can see in the center of the eyepieces which is centered over the pupils of your eyes when you use the binocular.)

As for size; many 8x25 and 10x25 binoculars, those with 2 hinges that can be folded up tightly, can be carried around in a large shirt pocket. Many 8x30s can be carried around in a jacket pocket; not necessarily so for 8x32 binoculars.

Bob

Last edited:
8x25 and 8x30 binoculars will be easier to use than 8x20 binoculars because they have larger eye cups and these are the connections between the binoculars and your eyes...

Very true, _unless_ you wear glasses, in which the eyecup diameter is less significant. I wear glasses, which is perhaps one reason I get along better than most with pocket roof models.

--AP

I thought I had read that the FOV of the new Zeiss 8x25 and the Swarovski CL-P was the same, so I went back to their respective websites (English versions) and sure enough they both list 357 feet. The new Zeiss 8x25 looks very interesting, so I am looking forward to trying one.

For anyone who might be interested in a good 8x25, here are a few differences between the new Zeiss and the CL-P: the Zeiss weighs 1.3 ounces less, has 0.5mm less ER, and is longer than the CL-P by one-tenth of an inch. Of course, this is only if the two resepective websites can be believed.....

Zeiss.de lists a field of view of 130m/1000m or 60 degrees subjective field. This would be 390 feet at 1000 yards.

George

Firstly, I would agree that 8x20 is a much better bet than 10x.

I have a pair of Leica Ultravid 8x20, but use them much less than two other bins I own. Superb image quality, but compact bins are more difficult to use than full size, eye placement is critical, and field of view tends to be rather restricted (in the Leica,110m at 1000m). Personally I also find compacts more difficult to keep steady than larger, heavier bins. But if size and weight are the deciding factor, then I guess it has to be a compact. Good luck!

I have the Leica Ultravid 8x20 BL, Ultravid 8x32 HD, Ultravid 8x42 BL, Ultravid 10x50, Zeiss 8x42 HT and Swarovski EL SV 8.5x42.

20mm binoculars are EDC (everyday carry), although I use the Leica Monovid (monocular half of a 8x20) for the purpose. They will fit in your jacket pocket (or purse for the ladies) and be always available, but the flip side is they are less comfortable to use for extended periods of time.

42mm binoculars are serious binoculars, but bulky and heavy enough that you only carry them when the outing is centered on them, like serious birdwatching, whale-watching and the like.

32mm binoculars are the compromise - light enough that you can carry them on your neck all day without noticing, but still perfectly usable without fatigue for extended periods of time, and with a decent FOV.

10x compact binoculars are very hard to use, for that magnification you really need something larger like a 10x42 or 10x50.

I purchased the 8x20 for a cousin's wedding because she and her husband are avid hikers and outdoors people, and the larger binoculars would be a hindrance, but for what you are describing I would recommend instead either the Leica Ultravid 8x32 HD+ or the somewhat larger but optically superior Swarovski EL 8x32 Swarovision. If you do get the 8x32 HD+, it might be worth to pay a little extra for the Safari limited edition with its lovely Aneas case (much more expensive to purchase separately).

Zeiss.de lists a field of view of 130m/1000m or 60 degrees subjective field. This would be 390 feet at 1000 yards.

George

Hmmmm..... not surprised that there was a difference somewhere. Now I am looking forward to trying the upcoming Zeiss even more. I would never consider getting rid of my CL-P, but if the Zeiss' FOV is really that much more, it might be worth considering, and losing a bit over an ounce as well. But it would have to have a *really* good focus wheel........

The Zeiss USA website says the new 8x25 Victory Pocket has a FOV of 357'@1000 yards.

https://www.zeiss.com/sports-optics...ocket/victory-pocket-8x25.html#technical-data

Allbinos says it has a 7.4º Angular FOV which works out to 388.5 feet @ 1000 yards.

http://www.allbinos.com/1815-Carl_Zeiss_Victory_Pocket_8x25-binoculars_specifications.html

The 10x25 has 6º Angular FOV which works out to 315'@1000 yards.

http://www.allbinos.com/1816-Carl_Zeiss_Victory_Pocket_10x25-binoculars_specifications.html

Bob

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

I'm very grateful for the time you've taken with your elaborate responses...! :)

Leica 8x32 is way outside what I'm looking to spend, something like £1200, and whilst I don't doubt the value for money, it's just not the price bracket I'm looking for my casual usage...

I'm definitely not paying £250 extra for the Colorline range, if all I'm getting is, errrmmm, some colour!!! :)

I'm now split between Leica Ultravid 8x20 or Swarowski 8x25.

I can see Swaro is heavier (345g as opposed to 240g Leica) but in terms of the size/handling are they comparable...? Swaro 110x65x46mm and Leica 111x93x39mm.

Any final recommendation would be great - looking to place an order asap as a crucial cricket game is coming on 4th June! :)

Thanks All!

As you are a newbie to binoculars I would certainly recommend to try before you buy. You tried the Leicas and liked them. If that is also the case for the Swaros remains to be seen (and felt).

Both are optically excellent so optical quality will probably not be decisive in your choice. I suspect ergonomics will. How they feel in your hands and 'in' your eyes will make a greater difference. The differences in eye-cups, eye-relief, focus wheel, hinge tension etc are very important for user happiness.

Good luck with your choice!

George

Hi,

between the Leica Ultravid 8x20 and the Swaro CL 8x25 it's probably mainly ergonomics and form factor. The Swaro will be less finicky with eye placement due to the slightly larger exit pupil (and be a little better at dusk - but neither one is the right instrument for that). The Leica wins on portability quite a bit lighter and smaller. If you want to carry it in your shirt pocket, it's the Leica.

If I was in the market for pocket bins, I would certainly wait a month or two until the Victory 8x25 is out - if the 130/1000m field is true (as stated by the german and euro-english Zeiss page and all the shops already offering it for 700€ or so), that would be a strong reason to get it - provided it shows the quality expected of a Zeiss alpha...
That true field is quite ok on full size bins and a revelation for a pocket.

Joachim

And then there is the Kowa 8x22 as well ;) 130m/1000m. Not cheap either.

Another option would be one of the light weight but wide angled 8x30 from Nikon (Monarch 7) Opticron (Traveller BGA ED), Kite (lynx) or whoever also offers them. Less expensive as the top notch compacts, still quite small but real binoculars. I guess the viewing comfort is better than with a compact.

Hi All,

Finally stopped the research and settled for Leica 8x20 Ultravid! As some of you noted, it would probably come down to ergonomics and unfortunately I couldn't find a shop nearby where I could've check Swarowski out, so went with what I had seen and really liked instead! I also though the small size definitely mattered to me, so Leica it was! :)

Got a great price at

http://www.cleyspy.co.uk/binoculars-and-monoculars/leica-ultravid-8x20-br.html

Thanks guys, genuinely grateful for all your guidance!!!

I'll report back my experience after the cricket game on 4th June! :)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back