• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

France, Biscay Coast (1 Viewer)

dragnil

The glass is half full, but the bottle is empty.
United Kingdom
I've now had 3 visits to Baie de l'Aiguillon, two in May/June and one in September with another to come this autumn. Brief visits of a day or two as we break the drive from the Channel ports to the Pyrenees. Here are a few points which might help any others passing this area.

Most of this area was under water a couple of centuries ago so birders from the Netherlands or Lincolnshire will feel at home, indeed much of the drainage was done by Dutch polder men. It has mixed agriculture but water is everywhere with ponds and ditches full of prey for herons etc.

I'll not post a species list but 50 species seen in a morning isn't difficult and some highlights from our last visit include:
Montagu's and Marsh Harrier, both kites, four heron species, Turtle Dove, Barn and Little Owl, White Stork, Whiskered Tern and Bluethroat.

The Bluethroats breed at the extreme end of the point and can be seen easily without leaving the path. It seemed like 10+ breeding pairs in an area the size of half a rugby pitch.

There will be lots that we missed but the area is highly recommended and PM me if you would like to know where to stay, I found a wonderful B&B!

Attachments

• aig-1.JPG
    aig-1.JPG
    288.3 KB · Views: 82
  • aig-2.JPG
    aig-2.JPG
    267 KB · Views: 74
  • Bluethroat Jun 17_012.jpg
    Bluethroat Jun 17_012.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 88
We've had some lovely holidays in that area when the children were little. Great shot of the bluethroat.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back