• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2017 (5 Viewers)

Hi, New to this so hope I'm doing it right!

Will be in Puerto Pollensa in two weeks time for the first time in 3 years so looking forward to revisting a few places around the town. Hoping to get to Albufera. Any advice on which bus to catch and where to get off? Am I right in thinking th entrance is near a canal / water channel?

Thanks for your help and any updates as to what is around.

Tom

Water levels much higher after the rain yesterday, no sign of the Jack Snipe, Spotted Crake, Temmincks or Pratincoles today. Still some Pintails, Garganys and Marbled Ducks at Cibollar 1 though.

Hi, New to this so hope I'm doing it right!

Will be in Puerto Pollensa in two weeks time for the first time in 3 years so looking forward to revisting a few places around the town. Hoping to get to Albufera. Any advice on which bus to catch and where to get off? Am I right in thinking th entrance is near a canal / water channel?

Thanks for your help and any updates as to what is around.

Tom

Hi Tom, and welcome to Birdforum. The bus you want is no 352, please see https://www.tib.org/portal/en/web/ctm/autobus/linia/352.
Note the summer timetable starts on April 1.

And yes, the entrance is just by the 'English Bridge' over a wide canal. The bus stop is shown as 'H. Parc Natural' on the map in the link.

Have a good time, and let us know what you see.

Thanks Dave for helping, much appreciated.
Two Egyptian vultures have just been seen very close to the tower, a very scarce bird in Mallorca. More news later I hope. Mike

Hi Tom/BABIRDER, great to hear you are visiting mallorca soon. There are some of us that have to wait 5 weeks to arrive so please leave some birds for us!
The information about the buses is helpful to me as well so thanks for asking for details. My hotel is near to s'albufera so may only need them to travel further a field. Enjoy your trip and please share any sightings from your holiday.

Hi All,

Thanks very much. Will certainly put some sightings up when I get back though suspect I'll be offline whilst I'm there. I think there used to be a Scops owl at the one of the hotels in Puerto Pollensa. Does anyone know if it is still, there and if so, the best time / place to see it.

Thanks again

Spotted Crake was a first for me today, I've been looking for these for the last 10 years at the Cibollar 1 hide. I didn't know there were 2 there though. Amazing views, a perfect photo opportunity, it couldn't have been more obliging. But I was so excited photographing the crake, I missed the Jack Snipe! But I did see the Black-headed Wagtail (M.f.feldegg) though. Nice male in breeding plumage.
It was nice to meet Martin and Mara there.

Cracking captures Clive :t:

A Hooded Crow has been found in the bay of Alcudia by Maties.
It's the first record I can ever remember, they really are that rare, Mike

Back on this thread as I am booked into Puerta Pollensa for a week from April 29. Hiring a car this year to get to Formentera and the dam up the mountains, also hoping to spend all day in Albufera rather than 3 hours. The only bird on my wish list is crossbill at La Gola which I dipped out on last year. Keep the news coming.

Hi Derek! As Mike said, crossbills a pretty easy to see at Son Real. If you do not know the place, come around La Gola and we will be able to mark it for you on an specific map of the area. Non has been seen at La Gola for the last month but we have had a few sightings around some hotels in Port Pollença, not far away.

Have a nice holiday and good luck!
Marina

Hi Derek! As Mike said, crossbills a pretty easy to see at Son Real. If you do not know the place, come around La Gola and we will be able to mark it for you on an specific map of the area. Non has been seen at La Gola for the last month but we have had a few sightings around some hotels in Port Pollença, not far away.

Have a nice holiday and good luck!
Marina

Hi Marina, I am also heading over to PP on 29april for a week and will be hopefully calling into see your reserve during my first few days there. No firm plans yet but am staying at apartment del la sol which I think is within walking distance of the s'albufera. I hope to see lots of interesting birds.

Debbie

For Tom and any other birders in the Port de Pollenca area from this weekend I will try and update on the Scops Owls as I hear/see them (or not as the case may be). For a flavour of the usual area to look please go to the Mallorca 2016 thread and follow my reports from number 281. Regards Hugh Matthews

For Tom and any other birders in the Port de Pollenca area from this weekend I will try and update on the Scops Owls as I hear/see them (or not as the case may be). For a flavour of the usual area to look please go to the Mallorca 2016 thread and follow my reports from number 281. Regards Hugh Matthews

Thanks Hugh, for others, I found post 281 on page 46! Look forward to hearing your news this year Hugh.

Debs

Thanks for your help. Looking forward too to visiting La Gola and the visitor centre there.

Afternoon at Salobrar de Campos was dominated by over 1000 Swifts moving through (all that were checked were Common). A Gull-billed Tern was a nice surprise as it cruised over the pools towards Es Trenc, while 33 Yellow Wagtails included 6 M. f. flava and two M. f. cinerocapilla along with the more typical M. f. iberiae. In addition there were 2 Temminck's Stints, a Black-tailed Godwit, 100 Swallows, 1 House Martin, 10 Sand Martins, a male Common Redstart on the road to Es Trenc and good numbers of common waders. I didn't pay a lot of attention to the harrier roost tonight, instead focusing on waders, though the Pallid Harrier came in rather early and put on a great display.

Heading back to Mallorca for a week from Sunday 2nd April and would really like to see Scops owl (would be a first for me) am going to be based in Port D'Alcudia - any advice to where to see them much appreciated!

Mike M - if there's a particular type of pie you can only get in England / Yorkshire let me know and I'll bring one across with me for you!

Hi ggshrike, I see you are from Rotherham where all the best pies come from. Sadly I am in the USA for the whole of April, otherwise it would have been great to have met up again.
I will miss all the action and quite a few visitors too which is a shame but I guess I will be seeing lots of new birds along the Mississippi. Mike

Mara and Martin came down from the north today to take me to the salt pans. Collared pratincole and Tree Pipit were the reward.
I have met some amazing people through my birding years and experienced a lot of kindness along the way. Thanks guys. Mike

The first Cuckoo has just been reported by Michael Schade in Mondrago this evening. Mike

Thanks a lot for posting this, Mike! And in fact, later that evening came two more...kind of felt surrounded by cuckoos...scary! 8-P

Today's highlights were two Temminck and two black-tailed godwits at Salobrar de Campos. Also a gray plover and about 50 ruffs. Lots of waders. Just two flamingos, though.

Seen five woodchat shrikes so far this season. Three at S'Albufera (east), one in Cala Mondragó, and one in Porto Colom.

Btw., what's happening to the population of spotless startling? It took me an hour just to find one (1) individual. I went to Cami Volantina area, where I used to see many in the past. Well, unexpectedly found a wood warbler instead...

More to come, good birding, Michael

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back