• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stodmarsh Kent 4 June 2012 an unexpected bird (1 Viewer)

Pat MS

As it seemed that today might be the only half decent day of the Jubilee weekend, we took ourselves off to Stodmarsh, parking at Grove Ferry.

It started off blustery. The light was poor from the view point. Although I could see a lot of ducks on the lake, I could only pick out Tufted Ducks. Cetti's Warblers and Whitethroats were very active and the Reed Warblers were chuntering away out of sight. A male Reed Warbler sang beautifully in view.

Hirundines were also very active, including many Swifts.

We made our way down to the Feast, Harrison and Marsh hides. Two Marsh Harriers were soon in view. From the Marsh Hide, we could see Greenshank and Ringed Plovers.

Making our way back towards the river and hoping to see a Kingfisher, the going became quite heavy underfoot and there was a short shower.

No Kingfisher, but if I had made a list of birds I hoped to see, I wouldn't even have put Barn Owl on the list. We watched it for about a quarter of an hour, hunting in the middle of the afternoon, at fairly close quarters. I can honestly say that I've never had a better view. Eventually it caught a vole and flew off. Presumably it has a nest nearby

Definitely one of those moments you would like to wrap up and take home. More than made up for a disappointing pub lunch.

As it seemed that today might be the only half decent day of the Jubilee weekend, we took ourselves off to Stodmarsh, parking at Grove Ferry.

It started off blustery. The light was poor from the view point. Although I could see a lot of ducks on the lake, I could only pick out Tufted Ducks. Cetti's Warblers and Whitethroats were very active and the Reed Warblers were chuntering away out of sight. A male Reed Warbler sang beautifully in view.

Hirundines were also very active, including many Swifts.

We made our way down to the Feast, Harrison and Marsh hides. Two Marsh Harriers were soon in view. From the Marsh Hide, we could see Greenshank and Ringed Plovers.

Making our way back towards the river and hoping to see a Kingfisher, the going became quite heavy underfoot and there was a short shower.

No Kingfisher, but if I had made a list of birds I hoped to see, I wouldn't even have put Barn Owl on the list. We watched it for about a quarter of an hour, hunting in the middle of the afternoon, at fairly close quarters. I can honestly say that I've never had a better view. Eventually it caught a vole and flew off. Presumably it has a nest nearby

Definitely one of those moments you would like to wrap up and take home. More than made up for a disappointing pub lunch.
I've seen Barn Owl at Stodmarsh in broad daylight before; I'm glad they're still around. Also that you got Cetti's and that the hard winters haven't wiped them out.

Thanks for sharing; brings back memories!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back