• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (26 Viewers)

now 2 firecrests at Redhouse

A Firecrest came into the bushes around the pond at Redhouse Wood at about 0950, then a second bird came in and joined it at 0951! Both birds were then seen together in the birch trees to the east of the pond between about 0955-1015 before they moved out of sight.

Interesting mix of birds, Bullfinch, Kingfisher, Marsh Tits, lots of Goldcrest etc.

Edit: Details/Photos here

Cheers, Andy

Last edited:
Just in from visiting Adel Damns this morning and surprise bird of the day was a woodcock which took off from cover within the reserve and flew in the general direction of Breary Marsh. If I hadn't stopped to count a flock of redwing I'd have missed the bird completely. Site tick - just got to hope I can find the thing again when patchwork challenge restarts in 2014.

Is the Red House Wood mentioned a few post ago the one near Moor Monkton near York? If so, where is a good place to park and what's it like underfoot (ie. are wellies essential?). Thanks.

Is the Red House Wood mentioned a few post ago the one near Moor Monkton near York? If so, where is a good place to park and what's it like underfoot (ie. are wellies essential?). Thanks.

Hi you enter the wood here: http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=452460&Y=457205&A=Y&Z=120
Just park on that lane, there are a couple of laybys to park, just don't block any farm entrances etc. If you take the main track that goes west from the arrow there is a small pond where the stream passes the track. The birds were around the pond and in the birch to the east of the pond though I don't think they were seen at all today.

It is fine underfoot along the main track until you get to the pond area, at which point it becomes very muddy and boots/wellies are probably the best bet to be honest.

Good luck, Andy

Just in from visiting Adel Damns this morning and surprise bird of the day was a woodcock which took off from cover within the reserve and flew in the general direction of Breary Marsh. If I hadn't stopped to count a flock of redwing I'd have missed the bird completely. Site tick - just got to hope I can find the thing again when patchwork challenge restarts in 2014.

Keith I've seen birds roding over Golden Acre Park lake in summer months.

Redhouse Firecrests. Was there 10 till 12ish yesterday and saw only Goldcrest and tits. The small pond by the waterworks was a pleasant interlude. Parked by (not on) a passing place near the entrance gate.

You seem to know what you're talking about Ken.....;)
Hope not from experience..............:-O
Jay

There's a thread on BF somewhere about hide etiquette, one of the posts in the thread gave a website where once you entered your location it advised you of the nearest al fresco naughtiness sites. For Leeds one of the main areas turned out to be the Arthington Road Car Park for Golden Acre Park to which Ken was alluding. Hopefully I shouldn't meet any of those sort of people if I park further down the road by the entrance to Adel Dams.
I'm actually more worried about meeting smackheads than k***heads.

There's a thread on BF somewhere about hide etiquette, one of the posts in the thread gave a website where once you entered your location it advised you of the nearest al fresco naughtiness sites. For Leeds one of the main areas turned out to be the Arthington Road Car Park for Golden Acre Park to which Ken was alluding. Hopefully I shouldn't meet any of those sort of people if I park further down the road by the entrance to Adel Dams.
I'm actually more worried about meeting smackheads than k***heads.

Sorry for bad taste shown in my reply to Ken....:t: I've deleted the post....
Jay

Redhouse

At least 2 firecrest's still at redhouse.

with flock of mixed tits and a linnet. until local sprawk spooked them all. B :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back