• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nuthatches (1 Viewer)

The sniper

Down in Essex,there seems to be a few reports of Nuthatch outside their traditional sites recently.
Has anyone else nationally noticed a trend.Someone on another site i frequent said that this happened about 25 years ago but the trend soon reversed naturally????
Just wondered what others thought,cheers.

how do you mean when you say outside traditional sites, I'd say nuthatch, being a common bird could feasibly be found anywhere where there are trees.

Hi Rob, I have yet to find a Nuthatch outside their noted territories. Hanningfield Reservoir, always looks a great sight to me for Nuthatches, so many Mature trees. Never a Nuthatch reported as far as i know. EWT Warley Place, is a small woodland reserve, where Nuthatch is guaranteed. Is it, that this species does not wander at all ?, i do not know, bet someone will.

not in essex.
They are a common bird but many woodland areas in the South of the county (usually where humans have encroached) have been without them for a while.
When i was a kid we had small pockets of woodland at cranham,these had Nuthatch in but haven't been seen there for well over 15 years,last week we had a report of one,then another calling about 1/4 mile away.The same thing has occured elsewhere in the south of the county after an absence of around 10 years.

Hi David,locally we have a few at Belhus,warley as stated but there are some areas of woodland which should have them and don't.
Most interestingly for me as i volunteer there,is the Broadfields Farm site,trees which are not mature,having only been planted 25 years ago having nuthatch heard on 3 occasions now by different observers,seen once.
I thought they may colonise this site eventually but didn't expect to see them this soon,perhaps it is a single bird and is just lost/wandering,who knows but the site,having Oak and Beech would eventually be good for them.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back