• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Trip To Bempton Cliffs & Flamborough Head .... (1 Viewer)

rjmartin

Hey Everyone :)

I went to Bempton Cliffs on Saturday - it was an early start (it's a 3 hour drive from home) - but well worth it!

We arrived just after 9am and started by spotting the Tree Sparrows on the visitor centre roof and in the trees in the surrounding areas. Then into the visitor centre where I did pick up a map and off to the cliffs we headed. We visited all 5 of the viewing points - saw lots including Gannets (of course!), Kittiwakes, the odd Fulmar, a couple of Guillemots on the water, lots of Puffins (all on the water which was a shame, but at least I got to see them - they must be getting ready to leave about now), a Shag in flight, countless Herring Gulls & more.

One of my highlights at Bempton was the trek up to Staple Newk to see the "Gannet Rock" - I could have stood there (or sat as we did on the bench!) all day - a truely remarkable sight.

Another highlight was my first ever sighting of a Weasel, I saw something brown on the cliff edge and at first I thought "a Rabbit" - it vanished from view temporarily before returning where I was just about able to capture a short video, not great but good for the record - it had an all brown tale which ruled out Stoat I believe (?)

We stayed at Bempton until gone 5.30pm before we headed down to Flamborough Head for a couple of hours, on arrival we again had lots of Puffins (but all at sea), more Kittiwakes etc. The highlight here though was behind the lighthouse I observed a couple of Seals (are they Grey I assume? see end of second video) down beneath me frollicking around in the water before one came out for a short period onto the rocks.

Overall a fantastic day, the weather was warm all day with a breeze & no rain!

I can't wait to visit again, hopefully next year.

Here's a couple of videos I filmed:

Weasel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S853lhx3ZRk

Highlights Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSap7BWz2j4

Best Wishes,

Rob

P.S - I saw a lot of Feral Pigeons / Rock Doves about - any ideas which they would have been?

Sounds like a great trip. Very much enjoyed your videos, especially the second one.

Sounds great, I did the two places in late March and got some close views of the puffins which I managed to miss the previous year. Flamborough produces some cracking birds a bit later on when migration south is in full swing.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back