• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex Razor HD 50, real alternative? (1 Viewer)

albatrosviajero

Hello,
I just found out that Vortex has released HD 50mm telescope, given the good reviews of the HD models, podrçia be this a real alternative, a great competitor of the famous Nikon ED50?
Anyone able to verify?
best

Fixed eyepiece - Big No No at the price asked.
I have the ED50A and prefer it with fixed wide angle eyepieces. Those who only plan to use it with the zoom could of course take a look at the Vortex.

//L

I enjoyed using the vortex 50. It was bright and crisp.
It's 11 - 33 zoom allows it to be used in somewhat wooded areas, but is limited when scanning fields and bodies of water. Just depends on what you want, and where you want it. :)

Jan/Feb issue of Bird Watcher's Digest travel scope review gave high reviews, rated it superior to Nikon ED50. But that was using the standard zoom EPs. Most of the knowledgable ED50 users prefer fixed WA EP over standard zoom. If the Vortex Razor 50 had a choice of EPs I'd be interested.

11x-33x with a narrow field is a bit boring....a 2x wide zoom,in the style of all the new wide zooms we are seeing in the market, would do a great fixed eyepiece for a 50mm. A 14x-28x Wide,continuous 65º..mmmmm.....With that range of wide views you are covered for most tasks...,You can hand held the scope at low power in a pinch,scan wide areas, get enough detail in most situations at high power or keep a bright view in low light if needed...PERFECT...and It cant be too much more $ to produce one over the other ...
lets hope we see something REALLY exciting in the 50mm sometime soon..

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back