• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Henslow's Sparrow (1 Viewer)

Hamhed

Of interest to those birding in Georgia, my wife and I found that Paulk's Pasture in southeast Georgia still produces a Henslow's Sparrow in the winter months. We flushed one in December, following Giff Beaton's directions in his Falcon Guide, "Birding Georgia".
We didn't have to go far either. As we walked through the boggy grass under the power lines, the bird came up and perched low in a dense cluster of small trees and shrubs. A second bird came up into the same area and for a moment we thought we had a LeConte's Sparrow but reviewing photos changed our i.d. to Grasshopper Sparrow. That was still a good species to see sitting in a viewable position.
We stopped there again on our way back from our Florida trip but without our previous success, instead finding three other species of Sparrows - Song, Swamp and Savannah.
There were many small birds (LBJ's) flushing and dropping after low flight of 6-20 feet so LeConte's or multiple Henslow's Sparrows may have been there but Grasshopper is likely the more common of these LBJ's that we were almost seeing.

Steve

Attachments

• Henslow's Sparrow.jpg
    Henslow's Sparrow.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 95
  • Grasshopper Sparrow.jpg
    Grasshopper Sparrow.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 94
  • Paulk's Pasture.jpg
    Paulk's Pasture.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back