• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (1 Viewer)

Delighted!

Absolutely delighted to see a tree creeper on the large sycamore beside our house today, haven't seen one this year at all!
Feeders very busy in fact non stop!! Haven't seen the siskin though.
Well done on the Bullfinch BFB, hope he brings some friends,wish I could attract some!
Isn't it great to see the garden in daylight at the weekend! Well relative daylight as it is a dark day.:t:

Last edited:
Hi Moray

The Greenfinch numbers are up now to about 14 feeding at any time, I wonder if the Bullfinch follows the flock just to inspect whats going on? I know the bullfinch frequent the Middlewood way that is about a mile away, with a bit of luck it may bring its Middlewood neighbours the Siskins and Nuthatch with it.

Saw 25+ Waxwings in Macclesfield this morning (About 7 miles from here)

A good day all in all

It gives better weather for Sunday, enjoy the day
Dave

Just had a really nice suprise..11 Long tailed tits and a Goldcrest. Its a first time for the Goldcrest as a garden visitor and only the second time we have had LTT. And the Male Blackcap paid a visit earlier this morning.

Also have a Wren who night roosts in the porch above our front door which built its nest from new in the past 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Just had a really nice suprise..11 Long tailed tits and a Goldcrest. Its a first time for the Goldcrest as a garden visitor and only the second time we have had LTT.

Ditto! Long-tails yesterday and this morning much to my amazement, a goldcrest! First one ever seen on the feeder (peanuts).

Been in last 2 mornings and seen incredible numbers of birds - 16 species this morning, inc blue, great and coal tits, greenfinches (20+ at a time), goldfinches, bullfinches and chaffinches, great spotted woody, blackcaps, blackbirds, redwings, fieldfares, sparrows etc. Still waiting for the siskins.

Amazing, who needs to go out birding!

Well the best I can do today is a visit from the very infrequent GSW............along with all the frequent visitors.

Very interesting to hear about a goldcrest on the peanuts, I've never seen that even though I have them in the garden.

I was trying to get a reasonable picture of the linnet flock today and realised that I have completely underestimated the number of them. I'd thought there were about 50 of them but after trying to count the blurred images of them realise that it's 100 plus.

BFB...........I went to school in Macclesfield a long time ago!

MBL...........Do you find that driving up the farm track takes a long time? I live up one too and am constantly stopping and starting so that I can see what's there. Only ever managed one woodcock at a time though.

TS

TS

Am back home for christmas, so am also keenly watching the activities of MBL's (mums!) bird table. Heres hoping I can get lots of good photos before I disappear back to university in the new year.

For the meanwhile, heres a couple of photographs of a siskin at one of our bird tables:

Attachments

• 2008_1123botanics0103.jpg
    2008_1123botanics0103.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 230
  • 2008_1123botanics0104.jpg
    2008_1123botanics0104.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 239
  • 2008_1123botanics0099.jpg
    2008_1123botanics0099.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 243
Well I can beat that! I had a flock of...

STARLINGS! in my garden today! Can you believe it!? Amazing - so nyeh! ;)

:-O

Not much changed around here - still the pair of coal tits in and out all day long, lots of greats and blues, long-tails seemed to have vanished (rather worryingly their numbers dipped to about three or four, so maybe the cold weather did for them - hope not), lots and lots of chaffinches, resident robin, wren and dunnock still piling in, as are my regular collared doves and woodpigeons. Blackbirds are increasingly common too now - they'd always avoided my garden for some reason.

We do currently have a flock of woodpigeons in and around the woods (about 15 or so), but they've stayed away from my garden, more's the pity, despite copious amounts of food. A neighbour threw a load of bread crusts out the other day, and they got stuck into that little lot, however :)

The magpies come in regularly and steal dried mealworms and peanuts, whilst the squirrels continue to pilfer sunflower hearts from the chaffinches feeding areas and now either mob me in the woods or at my back door whenever I go near them - something rather comical about squirrels hurtling towards you from all directions. They're quite tolerant of me now, but not other humans. I'm their 'special friend' seemingly. They get one feed at midday now, and are usually lined up in the woods waiting for me.

This diversion works wonderfully well, because as soon as they are occupied all the birds stampede towards my garden (apart from one great tit who joins the squirrels in their mobbing behaviour, virtually snatching food from me as soon as it hits the deck) ;)

Sadly, no sign of any of my rare visitors - the greenfinch visit remains a one-off, and no sign of the GSW or jay for ages.

The Goldcrest came back today, so good to see it close up and better views than the other day when it was really dull outside. Ian even managed to get some photos.

A good thread this.......... it gives a quick view of what is going on in districts of GB.

Cheshire feeder / garden today:
Plenty of Blackbirds, Starling, House Sparrows, Dunnock, Robin, chaffinch, Greenfinch, Blue tit. Coal tit 1, Great tit 1, and a pair of Song Thrushes.

BH Gulls overhead with Rooks and Jackdaws flying in for some bread.

NW Leics, I set up my feeders about a month ago and started to record visitors.

At/around the feeders today - Blue Tit, Robin, Great Tit, House Sparrow, Goldfinch, Starling, Chaffinch, Dunnock, Greenfinch, Collard Dove, Blackbird, Wren, Jackdaw, Song Thrush, LT Tit.
Other recent visitors include - GS Woodpecker, Bullfinch, Mistle Thrush, Coal Tit, Brambling.

Todays flyovers/perched on the hedge at the bottom of the garden - Wood Pigeon, Fieldfare.
Other recent flyovers/on hedge - Yellowhammer, Pheasant, BH Gull, Carrion Crow.

Last edited:
MBL's garden had, today:

Greenfinch
Chaffinch
Goldfinch (WOO!)
Dunnock
Robin
Blackbird
Coal tit
Great tit
Blue tit
Long tailed tit
Greater spotted woodpecker

Clayts, what area of Nottingham are you from? I'm from NG9, near to Attenborough Nature Reserve, and regularly get greenfinches and goldfinches AND Great Spotted Woodpeckers, but never Chaffinches...?

Clayts, what area of Nottingham are you from? I'm from NG9, near to Attenborough Nature Reserve, and regularly get greenfinches and goldfinches AND Great Spotted Woodpeckers, but never Chaffinches...?

NG6 Snape Wood

I'm reliably informed by at least two neighbours that it's the first time in absolutely ages chaffinches have been resident in our woods over winter. These are mostly Scandinavian migrants, as the huge numbers arrived in September, but we do have a few residents as well (but not loads) as I definitely had some fledglings being fed by mum on the garden fence over the summer.

Phew, thank goodness - got pillaged by about 8 or so long tailed tits a minute ago. I knew 'updating' the fat balls and suet cake would do the trick ;)

10+ Greenfinch out muscling the Starlings at the moment, with just a few Chaffs, blue tits and a single coal tit around at the moment

We are getting quite a gang of greenfinches at the moment too.
Delighted to see the goldfinch at last, it was eating sunflower seeds and nyger seed this morning. My husband said that he had seen 2 of them this week,so hope they continue to come back.
Still lots of BTs GrTs and Coal Ts. Dunnock, robin, chaffinch and blackbirds. Also 8 LTTs this morning. Everything getting blown about today as strong winds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back