• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron's new Doubler (1 Viewer)

typo

Just noticed that the new UTA (Universal Tele-Adaptor) is now listed. It's now 2x rather than 2.5x, so more fitting for the term doubler.

I was promised it's much improved over the old one, so quite keen to check it out when I can. That will probably BirdFair now.

http://www.opticron.co.uk/Pages/uta_2x.htm

David

I'd only tried the old one on my Classic 7x36 and 2.5x was a step too far on resolution and exit pupil. The resolution of my 8x42, on the other hand, is plenty good enough to take another 2x though and it shouldn't be too bad on my 10x56 either. Should be interesting.

David

The Reps now have samples are showing them to retailers and will also be able to be inspected at Optics Events that are attended by Opticron staff. Also on show and available at Birdfair.

Thanks to Opticron I don't have to wait for BirdFair which is rather nice. The new UTA and some adaptors arrived yesterday for me to play with.

I will be producing a report in due course, but I've managed to spend about an hour so far switching between various binoculars and adaptors. Sort out the right combinations and it works a treat. I like it! More in a couple of weeks.

David

P.S Had a juvenile Green Woodpecker fly in through the kitchen door this afternoon. Not sure who was most terrified, the woodpecker or my wife. ;)

Last edited:
Are the adapters the same?

If you click on the connection ring link for the 2.5X UTA in the archive on the Opticron site it leads you to the same table as for the new 2X UTA, so unless there's been a mistake the answer should be yes. Not doubt Pete or Chris will be along to give you a definitive yes or no.

Last edited:
We've now tested the 2x UTA with various Swarovski binoculars and the following is a list of compatible adaptor rings:

CL Companion 8/10x30 - 40942 with eyecup down, left barrel only due to dioptre placement
EL 8/10x32 - 40942 eyecup down
EL 8/10x42 - 40941 eyecup up
SLC 8/10x42 - 40944 eyecup down

The eyecup position matters in terms of how securely the UTA attaches to the binocular.

Rings for Swarovski 25-50x and ATX/STX eyepieces are in development.

Cheers, Pete

Hi Pete,

Could you advise if any of the UTA will fit the EL 10x50 and if so with which adaptor ring?

I used to have the old 2.5x version with a pair of EL 8x32s but found the magnification a bit high except in very good light so ended up selling it on. It was such a brilliant portable option to grab a little extra reach when needed though that I'm keen to give the new version a try with the larger bins I now use.

Thanks,

James

Hi James

We don't have stock of the EL 10x50 at present so I can't test but if the eyecup assembly is the same as the 42mm variants, it will be the same adapter. I'll check and get back to you.

Cheers, Pete

Hi Pete,

Could you advise if any of the UTA will fit the EL 10x50 and if so with which adaptor ring?

According to Swarovski the eyecups on the 10x50 are the same as on the 10x42 so the same adaptor ring applies (40941).

Henry - yes, it is phase corrected.

HTH

Cheers, Pete

Thanks Pete.

I went ahead and ordered one. Which has just turned up ready for some birding this weekend. :)

You might want to think about including a case to protect it when not in use. I imagine most users will only "whip it out" occasionally to confirm an ID etc and that it will spend most of the day in a pocket or belt pouch. After all, if you continuously want x20 magnification you'd be better off with a small travel scope.

That said, I do think Dale and the Swarovski team owe you several beers come Birdfair for your work on this forum making their products even better - whether with the UTA, suggestions for rainguards for the CL compacts or more appropriately sized cases for the pre-field pro ELs!

James

suggestions for rainguards for the CL compacts...

James

James, the 31027 T3 Trailfinder Objective lens covers fit perfectly the CL pockets on either the objective lens as stay on caps or even fit over the eyepiece and are sold by some Opticron retailers to their Swarovski CL Pocket customers.

Hope this helps

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back