• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Private Tour NE Brazil March 3rd- 18th (1 Viewer)

Bananafishbones

Incoherently Rambling .....
United Kingdom
This years tour takes Bananafishbones and Goyter (Jeff) to the NE Corner of Brazil for some serious endemic birding. The itinerary should also enable us to hopefully see some of the worlds most critically endangered species.

We fly into Fortaleza on Friday morning 3rd March and meet up with our guide Ciro Albano.

The basic site itinerary is as follows:

Serra de Baturité
Quixada
Chapada do Araripe
Reserve Canudos
Chapada Diamantina
Boa Nova
Stresemann’s Bristlefront Reserve
Veracel Reserve
Serra Bonita Reserve
Itacare

We fly out of Salvador on 18th March.

Obviously hoping to catch all the stars of the tour, but really looking forward to meeting up with some Hummers again, its been two years since we visited Colombia, so really cant wait now.....

I will try my best to keep the thread updated as we go along.

Regards
Dave

Good luck! I actually leave for NE Brazil as well starting on the 3rd. Maybe I'll run into you guys at some point. Bad news about the bristlefront though, apparently the reserve was recently closed as a fire this past winter destroyed a lot of habitat and only 2 birds remain :-/

Good luck! I actually leave for NE Brazil as well starting on the 3rd. Maybe I'll run into you guys at some point. Bad news about the bristlefront though, apparently the reserve was recently closed as a fire this past winter destroyed a lot of habitat and only 2 birds remain :-/

Hi are you going solo or a party?
That's yet another body blow for this species. I wait with baited breath on this part of the trip then.

You never know we may cross paths during our trips. Will be happy to share sightings and a beer in the evening.

Good luck and hopefully we get to see good birds.

I am not going with a guide. I have rented a car and my wife and I will just be exploring on our own for 30 days. Looking at your itinerary I think we will probably just miss each other. We are starting at Chapa de Araripe and then up to Quixada, Sobral, and Serra de Baurite, before heading over to the Alagoas area and then downwards to the other areas you mentioned.

Good luck!

Ross

Sorry for the belated updates.......

Nearly didn't bother with this, but I have a little enthusiasm back to start writing again. :t:

NE Brazil 2017

We planned to fly into Fortaleza on Friday morning 3rd March and meet up with our guide Ciro Albano from the NE Brazil Birding Co.

The basic itinerary changed a little to allow a night in Sorbal and was as follows:

Sobal
Serra de Baturité
Quixada
Chapada do Araripe
Reserve Canudos
Chapada Diamantina
Boa Nova
Veracel Reserve
Serra Bonita Reserve
Itacare
We would fly out of Salvador on 18th March and head back to the UK.

Well lets get the shit out of the way first off. We arrived at Rio de janeiro airport at .6.30am on Friday 3rd March and by 07.00am I had been robbed of all my hand luggage, including Camera, all accessories, Binoculars, Cash and everything else in there apart from my Passport. I wont dwell on it now, but lets hope the scumbag is dying a slow, painful and horrible death..... Enough said.

We continued to Fortaleza and met up with Ciro Albano who would guide us for the next 15 days across the vast NE corner of Brazil. Ciro loaned me a spare pair of his Binoculars so at least I could get birding straight away. Ciro made a very late change to the itinerary as a Buff Fronted Owl had been located only a few hours away at Sorbal and had been showing for a couple of nights, it would also add a couple of possible Endemics to the trip target list. We arrived in Sorbal with an hour of daylight left which gave us just enough time to meet up with a local birdwatcher and try for a Hooded Gnateater. The location of the Owl would need permission as it had taken up residence in a wooded area inside a couple of adjoining gardens. A drive down a narrow track and through farmland and tiny villages we headed for the Gnateater, picking up some common species along the way. Snail Kite, Roadside Hawk and a few Savanna Hawks as well as the easy Herons, Snowy, Cattle and Great Egrets, add a whole load of Black and Turkey Vultures we had pretty well mopped up the local species in an afternoon. It always amazes me when in South America how abundant the birdlife is virtually everywhere, yes these are common species, but they are easy to see and often in good numbers. Driving down the narrow track I even managed a lifer with a Masked Water-Tyrant, a species that I would quickly understand are also fairly common in most locations. We arrived at a tiny village where our local guide seemed to get permission to allow us to park up and walk up a small hill. Within a few minutes we were onto a rather smart male Hooded Gnateater. Stunning views, alas no camera! then a female appears and almost mocks me by perching totally out in the open. We had just enough time to bag a few more lifers with an endemic Caatinga Antshrike, another lifer with a large flock of the smart Biscutate Swift. It was now dusk and our local guide was armed with a set of keys that allowed us into one of the gardens. We would wait for the owl, and wait, and wait. We decided to venture up the road, again we waited. After a further hour Ciro decided to try another location that has produced the Owl in the past, a short drive, a hike through a small forest and another lengthy wait, again we were disappointed. We decided on a last desperate try back at the garden where we would give it a last quarter of an hour. Immediately we were onto its call, and this time it was in the neighbouring garden. A spot lighted sighting of a very smart Buff-Fronted Owl perched and then it was gone.... into the next door garden. Try as we might we didn't get another view. Hard work this one but a prized Owl in the bag on the first night. Try as I might I cant remember anything else about this first full day in Brazil, I spent the night restlessly thinking too much about the ifs, buts, and maybes of being robbed of all your trip belongings...... Tomrrow we try for a Moustached Woodcreeper before travelling back to Fortaleza to pick up a spare Camera and Lens that Ciro kindly loaned me for the rest of the trip.

Saturday morning we arrived at the area that would hopefully produce a Moustached Woodcreeper , alas the road was waterlogged and impassable, whilst the guides tried to figure a way round we managed to pick up a Striated Heron, Greater Ani, Limpkin, a few endemic Spot-backed Puffbirds, Straight-billed Woodcreeper and huge numbers of endemic Caatinga Cacholote.

Plan B - We drove to another site for the Moustached Woodcreeper and gave it as long as we dared before we had to make tracks to Fortaleza and then 230km to Guaramiranga. Again whilst searching for the elusive Woodcreeper we had fantastic views of a Ferruginous Pygmy-Owl which of course with its presence made sure any birds in the area were flushed and allowed great views, these included a pair of endemic Ochraceous Piculets, Crested Becards that had a nest too close for comfort of the Owl, Lined Seedeater and a host of other common species. So having dipped the Woodcreeper we dropped off the local guide and made tracks. We picked up a camera and headed off to the Serra de Baturite mountain range. We would arrive mid afternoon with squally showers, dropped the cases and were birding for the last few hours of light.

We took to the forest in front of our accomodation and didnt realy have to venture too far to see stunning, Rare or endemic species such as Ceara Gnateater, Great Antshrike, Grey-headed Spinetail as well as a host of Tanager species including Guira and Burnished Buff Tanagers which are generally common but always lovely to see. The bird of the afternoon was probably the Pearly-breasted Cuckoo that after a long search we actually found in the tree next to the reception while we were enjoying a coffee! Pale Legged and Band-Winged Hornero`s and Yellow Chevroned Parrakeets were easy sightings in the reception car park, as was a single Planalto Hermit. The drizzly rain and poor light hampered the photography but at least we were now doing some proper birding at last. An early tea and a quick beer and roll on tomorrow with an early start around the reserve.

Last edited:
3 from the gloom of Serra de Baturite reserve

was a bit rainy and gloomy

Ceara Gnateater, Pale Legged Hornero, Wing Banded Hornero

Attachments

• Ceara-Gnateater112.jpg
    Ceara-Gnateater112.jpg
    844.8 KB · Views: 85
  • Pale-legged-Hornero.jpg
    Pale-legged-Hornero.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 78
  • Wing-Banded-Hornero.jpg
    Wing-Banded-Hornero.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 96
What a terrible start but don't give up on writing the rest up as there are those on the forum, like myself, who would like to read it for some vicarious birding.

Morning Serra de Baturite, afternoon Quixada

We had a full morning at Serra de Baturite to try for the main half dozen targets, we met outside the accommodation to head for coffee and were met by some miserable weather as the rain pelted down in the dark, but the mood was very quickly raised as we heard one of the Targets directly behind us but high up in the next elevation of forest. First one, then two White-browed Guans flew from tree to tree along the tree line, then for good measure another 4 would pass in front of us. Coffee always tastes better when the bird gods are looking down on you! A very tough to see species, this would make Ciros job a little easier with this very early sighting.

A short drive to the vicinity of a nearby hotel turned out to be a brilliant location that would be the start of a small birding bonanza. We certainly didn't need to start any playback for the Short-tailed Antthrush as it was already very vocal as we got out of the car, this led us to a very tricky trek down a slippery forested hillside in search of the bird. It dually sang and most helpfully stayed put as a rival bird called in the near distance. Not a lifer for me, but certainly a possible split in the future. This bird certainly didn't give up the best of images but it made the slippery trek back to the top more than worthwhile. Back on terra firma we had a good ten minute spell where we literally didn't have to move while we ticked off more targets and some good species. A Buff-breasted Tody-Tyrant flitted above our heads, and did so for an hour or more, a Buff-throated Woodcreeper allowed a few photos, Black-capped Antwren, a showy Pectoral Sparrow, Blue-Crowned Trogon, Variable Antshrike, Grey-headed and Sooty-fronted Spinetails, a possible future split in a Northern Lesser Woodcreeper amongst others. A quick show of a pair of Grey-breasted Parakeets was too short, but these would give wonderful views in an hour or so`s time. During all this time a Goulds Toucanet had been calling in the near distance but didn't show itself, we stuck around and tried for a few hours but with no luck eventually decided to try a new location. We drove down hill, parked up and walked another trail. A pair of Eulers Flycatcher took my attention as they were lifers for me but were quickly disturbed by a pair of Ochre-backed Woodpeckers. The forest trail was now in dark gloom as the drizzle had well and truly set in so I had to make do with a few silhouetted images of the handsome Woodpeckers. We pushed on in search of the Goulds Toucanet and the other target, Ceara Leaftosser. The Leaftosser was easy...... it took about a minute to locate one as it preened itself on a snag, and then the heavens opened in Tropical fashion. We had to take evasive action and rushed back down the track to find shelter.

Ciro wanted to get us better views of the Grey Breasted Parakeets and we would need to visit some private gardens that are taking part in a government project that pay people to plant the correct food source and put up nest Boxes (I wouldn't mind volunteering for that) as these birds are critically endangered. It seems funny to be mooching around someone's garden looking for rare birds, but it works and everyone is happy and best of all it helps protect the species. The birding wasn't that bad in the garden, a single Grey Breasted Parakeet perched in the open for us while a dozen or more flew amongst the nearby woods. Sicks Swifts flew above and a small flock of Common Waxbill seemed to resident, Blue Dacnis, Swallow-tailed Hummingbird, Short-tailed and Brown-crested Flycatchers made up the numbers. Whilst in the garden we witnessed a huge Butterfly migration with thousand upon thousand flying through.

The rain had now stopped but we had a limited amount of time to retry for the Goulds Toucanet as we still had to travel during the afternoon. We had a little time to give it another try at the original location. Ciro persevered and it paid off, out of nowhere landed 2 Goulds Toucanet pretty much straight in front of us. An adult and an immature bird. It was well worth the wait and extra effort, rewarded with brilliant views of a stunning species. We headed back to the car in good spirit when Ciro heard a flock of Grey-breasted Parakeets, we managed to find a gap in the trees which allowed great views of 10+ birds feeding in a fruiting tree and got onto another lifer when a Moustached Wren called out just as we were about to drive off. A wet morning rewarded with some great birds, and all the targets were accounted for.

We now spend the afternoon travelling to Quixada. Along the route I counted numerous Burrowing Owls, always perched atop a barbed-wire fence post. Endemic Spot-backed Puffbirds were numerous and again could change their name to Wire Puffbirds for their preference of sitting on telegraph wires.

We arrived at Hotel Pedra dos Ventos (Quixada) in time for lunch. Lunch consisted of a Cactus Parakeet that leapt from table to table trying to eat anything that was not protected by the diners (Plenty of real wild ones flew around the reserve), whilst 20 yards away in the restaurants garden rockery a stunning Pygmy Nightjar sat on a single egg in a stone nest, a truly incredible sight and wonderful thing to be able to witness. The afternoon birding was fairly spectacular as well. It started with a Black-chested Buzzard Eagle soaring overhead, Gray Hawk and numerous Blue-winged Parrotlets. We were looking for a Grassland Yellow-finch when a pair of Dark Billed Cuckoos flew into a dry thorny scrub area, of course we followed which led to a great hours birding with numerous species giving great views. Pale Baywings by the dozen, Pileated Finches showing off the glorious scarlet head crest, Ochraceous Piculet, Black-bellied Antwren, Long-billed Wren, Pearly-vented Tody-Tyrant. 2 White-naped Jays nearly stole the show until we stumbled upon (yes nearly stumbled upon) a family of Pygmy Nightjars including a juvenile and a female on another egg. This was certainly an interesting find for Ciro who could note some interesting breeding behaviours.

We drove to another location and bumped into fellow birdforum member Ross Galardy and his partner and would meet for diner later that evening where we would exchange a few tactics and talk of past experiences...... Ross certainly has some crackers to recount.

Around the reception area Cactus Parakeets continued to show well as did an Ochre-backed Woodpecker and a Green-Barred Woodpecker. A pair of Crested Becards had a nest right outside the restaurant, while the Pygmy Nightjar sat on its egg was joined by the rest of the family within spitting distance of the diners and were certainly the stars of the show. The evening turned into a tropical storm as lightening illuminated the sky, the Nightjar sat the storm out and we all hoped for better weather in the morning.

I managed my first mammal of the trip just behind the accommodation buildings with a White-eared Marmoset. Tomorrow we leave this wonderful reserve and head to Potengi

Last edited:
Birds of Serra de Baturite

#1 Short-tailed Antthrush
#2 + #3 Grey-breasted Parakeet (from the conservation Garden)
#4 Goulds Toucanet

Attachments

• Short-taied-Antthrush.jpg
    Short-taied-Antthrush.jpg
    656.2 KB · Views: 74
  • Grey-breasted-Parakeet.jpg
    Grey-breasted-Parakeet.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 68
  • Grey-breasted-Parakeet2.jpg
    Grey-breasted-Parakeet2.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 69
  • Goulds-Toucanet.jpg
    Goulds-Toucanet.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 80
a few more

Northern Lesser Woodcreeper
Grey-breasted Parakeets at a fruiting tree

Attachments

• Northern-Lesser-Woodcreeper.jpg
    Northern-Lesser-Woodcreeper.jpg
    355.4 KB · Views: 80
  • Grey-breasted-Parakeet3.jpg
    Grey-breasted-Parakeet3.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 75
  • Grey-breasted-Parakeet4.jpg
    Grey-breasted-Parakeet4.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 73
Pygmy Nightjars of Quixada

In the sun
in the rain
Juvenile

Attachments

• Pygmy-Nightjar.jpg
    Pygmy-Nightjar.jpg
    379.8 KB · Views: 102
  • Pygmy-Nightjar3.jpg
    Pygmy-Nightjar3.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 86
  • Pygmy-Nightjarjuvenile copy.jpg
    Pygmy-Nightjarjuvenile copy.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 84
Quixada - Potingi

This morning we would have a leisurely breakfast before heading to Potengi, we enjoyed a little lie in where Ross (who we had bumped into the night before) had set of extremely early to try for the White-browed Guans that we saw at Serra de Baturite before dawn, he would also try later on for the Moustached Woodcreeper at Sorbal that we had already missed.

A quick walk around the area allowed me to see the biggest flock yet of the noisy Cactus Parakeets which landed a short distance behind the pool, whist a Grey-necked Wood-rail called out from the reeds. Variegated and Streaked Flycatchers posed for photos but unfortunately the Blue-winged Parrotlets didn't. The resident family of three Pygmy Nightjars had survived the nights tropical downpour and were warming themselves in the sun, before the first trip sighting of a Shiny Cowbird brought me back down to earth with a dose of the mundane! ...... I am currently sat here in the UK wishing to now see a Shiny Cowbird.

Other nice birds close-by were an Ochre Backed Woodpecker that flew off before the camera was to hand, but it gave super views in the sun rather than the previous sighting in the Baturite gloom and drizzle of a few days ago. The resident pair of Crested Becards were still on sentry duty outside their nest and a Golden-Green Woodpecker was the last new bird before we had to leave. We picked up plenty of Spot-backed Puffbirds as we left the reserve.

As we drove to Potengi we stopped suddenly as Ciro spotted a couple of Red-legged Seriema in a field, one strode off quickly but the other stayed around long enough to get the camera out of the window. Great bird..... we also had our only sighting of the trip of a single Ringed Kingfisher.

We arrived at Potengi and booked into the comfortable Pousada Menos Paga and quickly travelled on to meet a local guide Jefferson Bob. After a hearty lunch at his home, we drove to his patch at the Sitio Pau Preto area. A host of Caatinga speciality birds were here so we eagerly set off into dry farmland and bush. Even the most common of species such as White Monjita and Rufous -fronted Thornbirds were new for me so right from the very start I knew this was going to be a good afternoon of birding. The endemic White-throated Seedeater and handsome Copper Seedeaters mixed in with the Grassland Yellow-finches and White Monjitas along the trackside and dry stubbly fields, and yet more Burrowing Owls sat on the barbed wire fence posts along the tracks. Bob has a site for the wonderfully named migratory species, White-naped Xenopsaris, I was hoping our timing was right to get us onto this smart bird. Sure enough a pair of males flitted between a thorny bush and a wire fence, my first sighting of the Chalk-browed Mockingbirds (I had missed the ones whilst travelling when sat in the back seat.... ditto for Guira Cuckoos) were also added to the ever growing life list.

We continued along the track and parked up, the heat was fairly oppressive but we had no need to worry as we didn't venture more than fifty yards from the car and the birding became red hot. First off, an Ultramarine Grosbeak was giving good views as I tracked it around with the camera but we were distracted by a small mixed flock which held both Lesser Wagtail-tyrants and a Greater Wagtail-tyrant, Orange-headed Tanager, Southern Scrub-flycatcher, Tawny-crowned Pygmy-tyrant and Southern Beardless Tyrannulet (the only non-lifer in the mixed flock). Most of these species are fairly common, but that 20 minutes or so gave me a host of new birds and we hadn't really done any walking yet. Further up the dry track a pair of fabulous Stripe-backed Antbirds gave us superb photo and video opportunities, this is a really smart species, we could have stayed for the afternoon, but we had a date with a stunner of a hummer.

We arrived at another area of Bobs patches (pardon the pun, but we were now walking through his vegetable patch, proper garden birding.). Bob had a special bird feeding on some flowering plants, we had to wait a while but sure enough it didn't let us down. A stunning Ruby Topaz Hummingbird initially teased us with fleeting visits where it seemed to feed at the rear of the plants giving good views but zero chance of photos. Glittering Bellied Emeralds and a single Swallow-tailed Hummingbird made more frequent visits and fed on our side of the plants, the Swallow-tailed Hummingbird can be a very territorial species and often chases every other hummingbird away, so maybe that is why it was only making fleeting visits, or was it the ever calling Ferruginous Pygmy-Owl that was perched high in the tree above us. Whatever it was, things changed and it made more frequent visits and allowed some photo opportunities..... (not sure I fully seized the opportunity though and never did quite nail that shot!). Again this was a species that we could have easily stayed hours longer but we had another area to explore, as we left the veg patch we passed a pair of Little Woodpeckers, a Zone-tailed Hawk passed low overhead and a young Campo Troupial foraged in a hedge close to the car.

The main Target at the last location of the day was the Great Xenops. Ciro had already warned that it can be a difficult bird to see, so it was a relief to all when we heard one calling a soon as we parked up, and even more relieved when it showed itself only a few minutes later. Certainly an amazing looking bird and it was one of the species high on the trip target list. It wasn't the only endemic on show, a pair (particularly the male) of Silvery-cheeked Antshrikes put on a display virtually out in the open, and we managed descent views of a Red-shouldered Spinetail, a Chestnut-vented Conebill was probably the best of the rest amongst the many Tanager species, Thrushes and Eleanias.

We had cleaned up on all the targets well before the light faded which allowed us some downtime for a beer before we headed back to Bobs for yet another hearty meal. Bob is currently building (with donated funds) a lodge for birders to stay whilst visiting this area and will be a great base for birding areas a little further afield. I can imagine to photo opportunities here are amazing if ou can allow the time to stay for a few days.

Tomorrow we bird locally in the morning before travelling on again.

Some birds of Quixada and Potengi

Ruby-Topaz Hummingbird
White-naped Jay
Spot-backed Puffbird
Black-bellied Antwren

Attachments

• Ruby-Topaz-Hummingbird2.jpg
    Ruby-Topaz-Hummingbird2.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 83
  • White-naped-Jay.jpg
    White-naped-Jay.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 71
  • Spot-backed-Puffbird.jpg
    Spot-backed-Puffbird.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 67
  • Black-bellied-Antwren.jpg
    Black-bellied-Antwren.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 85
more from Quixada and Potengi

Stripe-backed Antbird
Ferruginous Pygmy-Owl mobbed by Glittering Bellied Emerald
Great Xenops
Pale Baywings

Attachments

• Stripe-backed-Antbird2.jpg
    Stripe-backed-Antbird2.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 64
  • Owl-and-the-hummingbird - Copy.jpg
    Owl-and-the-hummingbird - Copy.jpg
    453.3 KB · Views: 72
  • Great-Xenops---Copy.jpg
    Great-Xenops---Copy.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 79
  • Pale-Baywing - Copy.jpg
    Pale-Baywing - Copy.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 62
Potengi - Canudos

We had a morning's birding the Caatinga area of Potengi with Jefferson Bob again. There were a few targets, with the main ones being White-Browed Antpitta and Ash-breasted Casiornis.

As we parked up and got out of the car, four over flying Comb Ducks were an only sighting of the trip and a lifer for me and we added Red-billed Sythbill to the trip list as we hiked up a steep dried river towards a plateau of Caatinga scrub. Not far into the hike it was pleasing to see a Great Xenops again, but much like yesterday the photo opportunity was difficult as the bird was sat in deep vegetation, although two views in two days is good enough for me. A little further on and we were rewarded with a fairly showy Ash-breasted Casiornis, in fact I think we had a pair. One certainly sat out but the light was in the wrong direction, again making photography difficult. Rufous Tailed Jacama, Greenish Elaenias, Yellow Flycatcher, Sayaca and Burnished Buff Tanagers were all we could find further on, so we doubled back and took another track. We were quickly rewarded with at least two calling White-browed Antpitta, we spent an hour trying to pinpoint one down, and eventually were able to go into the Caatinga scrub in search. It took a while but we were able to edge close enough to finally see it. It walked along a fallen log, the spent the next few minutes edging a little closer to us, overall we had good views, we left it in peace feeling very satisfied. Bobs phrase of "Os Ingleses suaram a camisa em busca do Torom!" was very apt as it had been a tough couple of hours trying desperately to get onto the White-Browed Antpitta .

The translation...... "The English sweated the shirt in search of the bird!", it made me laugh.

We could head down the mountain with the two main targets accounted for, we still added more lifers with a Grey-eyed Greenlet, Ochre-cheeked Spinetail, Caatinga Antwren and a Planalto Slaty-Antshrike, whilst down at the car a pair of Green-backed Becards sat in a closeby tree, and a pair of Tawny Piculets foraged on some snags above our heads.. We had used up a large amount of the morning looking for the Antpitta and had to drop off Bob and say good by. The Potengi area over the last 24hrs had been very productive with plenty of special birds, the highlight bird for me was the Ruby-topaz Hummingbird, but the encounter with the pair of Stripe-backed Antbirds was fun.

We has a long drive ahead of us as we were to head to Canudos and the Lears Macaw area. but we would stop at Crato on the way to visit the Araja water park at Chapada do Araripe. We were hoping to see one of the worlds newest described species, which incredibly for such colourful bird wasn't until 1998.

The Araripe Manakin is a real stunner, its range is on the north-eastern slope of the Chapada do Araripe, and we were heading to a Theme Park to try and see one. Almost immediately upon paying at the entrance booth, you walk along a paved footpath that runs along a small stream, this is prime Araripe Manakin area. Sure enough within a few minutes we had seen 7+ females but not a male in sight. As time passes you console yourself that at least you have seen an Araripe Mankin, but of course its the stunning male that makes the journey really worthwhile. Happily after twenty minutes Ciro located a juvenile male, scraggy looking and in-between moults and without tail feathers, but it was definitely a male. Blue Dacnis kept us company while we continued to search, and a little further on Bingo! Just above our heads we located an adult male Araripe Manakin. Great views and a few photos and feeling much much better, we could relax now knowing that one of the main trip targets was right above us. We headed back towards the park entrance where we had seen the females and a male obliged with a few poses more or less at eye level. We saw at least 4 adult males, 1 juvenile male and over a dozen females. Ciro left us enjoying the bird for a little longer than he should have as we had used most of the daylight up and we had a long journey with poor road conditions to deal with so begrudgingly we all had to leave. It is one of the few times that I have questioned myself when leaving a place with an incredibly special bird if I will actually ever see this species again, it certainly wont be turning up anywhere unusual so the answer is probably a no......what a real shame.

We headed off towards Canudos were we would eventually arrive at the town in the dark and booked into the Lears Macaw reserve, tomorrow morning should be just as spectacular as today was.

From our accommodation we set off on a relatively short morning drive to the Lears Macaw roosting and breeding site, along the way we disturbed plenty of Paraque Nightjars and a single Scissor-tailed Nightjar. We arrived at a small picnic site where we ate biscuits and drank coffee and listened to the now awakening Lears Macaws. Two by two they passed us in the subdued dawn light, possibly twenty birds flew past. As the sun came up the incredible landscape of rusty coloured arid sandstone came into view. A large Cactus was a great staging post for a pair of Macaws to perch and preen. Others flew overhead and perched in bushes, 20, 30, possibly more, a thrill to see. Blue Crowned Parakeets unfortunately weren't going to steel the limelight as they flew past and a Laughing Falcon called from somewhere over there. As the sun came up, we headed a short walk to a canyon where the birds breed in the rock face. A few birds favoured a distant ledge to roost upon while most of the birds flew overhead and probably onto feeding grounds. However a single pair of Lears Macaws were tempted to land at their nest site but a Black-chested Buzzard-Eagle had been soaring in the area making them nervous, they made half a dozen attempts to come in but aborted each one. In the meantime Jeff had noticed a Bat Falcon that had landed on a stone ledge close to where we were watching the Macaws from. It had caught a bat that was partially eaten. Great photo opportunities and stunning close up views of a stunning small falcon. The Lears Macaw pair eventually sought enough courage to land at their rock face nest site.

A Crane Hawk and Turkey Vulture flew past the site alas it wasn't a King Vulture. We tried a King Vulture roosting site close-by but to no avail.

As we left the site we picked up a Cliff Flycatcher and Lesser Wagtail-tyrant.

It had been a superb morning in a fascinating landscape and with a truly wonderful species of bird and one of those moments where the bird, the location and the precarious existence of this bird make you realise that what you have just witnessed is incredibly special and not to be taken for granted. .

We now have a long drive ahead of us as we head to the "hippy" town of Lencois where we will be visiting the Chapada Diamantina mountain range.

Just wonderful adventure with great shots of spectacular birds.
Thank you for gutting through the initial disaster to share this!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back