• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Could caterpillar learn from experience ? (1 Viewer)

Mila

California pinevine swallowtail caterpillars like to make pupa (chrysalis) on the walls of a utility building in Golden Gate Park There are 30 something pupas on the walls of this building. A few days ago I noticed one caterpilar was climbing the wall. Then I turned my attention to another caterpillar, and when I turned back the first one was no longer there. It fell and was laying on the ground. Then it started to climb the same wall, the same path again. Sure enough it fell again. I am not sure how many attempts it did before I noticed it, but the one I captured on the video was the last one. After that fall, it turned away from the wall. So the question is if a caterpillar is capable of learning from experience?
Here is the video
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CPdqB7aGKiE

Last edited:
I doubt it is learning from the experience. It's just that its driving force is to climb in order to pupate away from predators. It's instinctive.

I doubt it is learning from the experience. It's just that its driving force is to climb in order to pupate away from predators. It's instinctive.

I meant that it learnt that it cannot climb the wall , at least not in this place, because it kept falling dawn.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back