• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

suggestions for a sub $300 10x42? (1 Viewer)

Did you get the Vanguard Endeavors 10x42 EDII's ? I threw in a bid of $300.00 and I didn't even want a 10x but they went for $314.35 plus $24.01 shipping. Not bad for $338.36 when they are like new and they retail for $500.

Good deal for someone.

Best of the upper middle market 10x42s and then some, I have a set already, the best of my 10x42s, a classy sharp view.

Best wishes,

Good deal for someone.

Best of the upper middle market 10x42s and then some, I have a set already, the best of my 10x42s, a classy sharp view.

Best wishes,
Allbino's has the Vanguard Endeavor's EDII 10x42 ranked above the Nikon 10x42 SE's. I wish the thread starter would have got them. I prefer 8x myself.

Allbino's has the Vanguard Endeavor's EDII 10x42 ranked above the Nikon 10x42 SE's. I wish the thread starter would have got them. I prefer 8x myself.

I have owned a Nikon SE 10x42 but found the ER chronically unusable. I'm not prone to making bino comparisons from memory so I won't comment on that but I'm fortunate to have some good fixed wing viewing in addition to everything else so it's useful to have a 10x bino to hand. Knockabout daily wear is still an 8x32 though :t:

If I had a $300 budget and was looking for 10x42's, I'd wait for a clean pair of Bushnell Elite's to come up on Ebay, or try and find a pair on sale. To my eyes, there is no better view in that price range.

If I had a $300 budget and was looking for 10x42's, I'd wait for a clean pair of Bushnell Elite's to come up on Ebay, or try and find a pair on sale. To my eyes, there is no better view in that price range.

Which version are you referring to (they made three different ones)?

Bushnell Elite

I have the prior 10X43 Bushnell Elite double hinge model and my brother has the newest 10X42 Elite (non E2) model with ED glass. The 10X42 is just a tad brighter, but that is about it as far as the optics go. I personally prefer the older 10X43 non ED glass model because of handling and styling, although the newest is slightly better optically. The 10X43 served as my primary for many years until a couple of years ago.

My main knock against the Elite is that the FOV is on the narrow side compared to the current competition. (10X - 314 ft, 8X - 330 ft). My only other concern is the focus mechanism has somewhat of a spongy feel when switching rotation direction, but it is not a show stopper.

The Elite is is a very nice binocular but it is starting to show it's age compared to the lastest and greatest in the same general price range. The other model that I have in the series is the 12.5X50 double hinge Elite which I like very much.

For $300 they would be reasonable value, see post #3.

Best wishes,

The Elite is is a very nice binocular but it is starting to show it's age compared to the lastest and greatest in the same general price range. The other model that I have in the series is the 12.5X50 double hinge Elite which I like very much.

It's a nice handling binocular for sure. I have one of the current Elite ED 10x42s, Japan 2011, it's reasonably compact but with a non-locking dioptre, the eye cups are 'easy twist' and can be set to suit, reasonable sweet spot, probably to 65% and maybe a little more would be apparent when using a tripod, the fall off in sharpness from the centre is comparable both side to side and top to bottom. Super fast focus on my sample, quicker than the Vanguard Endeavor ED II 10x42 which provides a substantially better view in every respect.

Bushnell are well known for their price promotions and this is one that is becoming more reasonably priced, worth shopping around for.

It will be interesting to see where Vista Outdoor go with their marketing. They own Millett, Night Optics, Bushnell, Simmons, Tasco and Weaver so clearly some streamlining is inevitable.

Best wishes,

Last edited:
That's quite a sprawl of companies. Seems Bushnell covers the widest value range.
Hopefully they won't botch the good QA that's held over most of the years since the 1940s.
late-70s and 80s exempted...

Regarding the Elite Series:

I was in a birding/nature shop once that was ran by an actual ornithologist. He (at the time) stocked Bushnell/Swarovski/Vortex/Stokes (Vortex)/etc. He had me try the Elites, saying they were as good or better than anything he had personally tried in his career, and what he used. While I noticed the narrow field, I did like the view. I just was amazed that he said that of a (then) $500 bin when he had Swarovskis on the shelf.

Regarding the Elite Series:

.............. I just was amazed that he said that of a (then) $500 bin when he had Swarovskis on the shelf.

$500 would have been a steal. Here is a screen shot from Eagle Optics back in 2005 with a buy price of $999.95. Bushnell had a special incentive where they included a free backpack! Seems I recall seeing them in stores for even more ($1,200?).

My nomination for a sub $300 10X42 is the Vanguard Endeavor ED. The wide field of view stands out for that price group and it has very good optics. The Elite has better optics and handling, but not FOV. Also, the Elite, current or prior would be over $300.

Attachments

• Ealge Elite Page.jpg
    Ealge Elite Page.jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Back when the Bushnell Elites were the Bausch and Lomb Elites, and the need for Green binoc's hadn't yet overcome the birding world, the B&L Elites were highly regarded among birders. I know several very accomplished birders who bought their B&L Elites back in the 90's, and still use them today. In fact, it was one of these birders - a former Audubon chapter president - who first let me look at his B&L Elites, and set me on a course to buy my own. I couldn't believe a $400 binoc. could compete with the "Alpha's" - esp. if it said "Bushnell" on it, but they can. They are always my pick for a sub-$500 full-sized binocular. I've still yet to see anything under $500 that is their equal.

I'm very happy with the view from my 8.5x43 Brunton Epoch's, but honestly would be just as happy with the Bushnell Elites. Only reason I don't still own a pair is that I let a friend talk me out of them.

John

Off topic, but this is for John in response to his above post.

I had not looked through the B & L Elite in a while and forgot how nice they are. They are pre di-electric coatings so it does offer a warmer view than some of the new stuff.

Bausch & Lomb Elite 8X42 on the left and Bushnell Elite 10X43 on the right.

Attachments

• IMG_2048 Resized.jpg
    IMG_2048 Resized.jpg
    485 KB · Views: 31
Yea, Bruce... Anytime you want to sell those 10x43's, just let me know. :D I'm looking for a pair of those.

Sorry for the hijack, except to say that the current (single hinge) Bushnell Elite 10x42's can be had for not much more than $300 in some places, and IMO that's the best glass for the $ that is readily available.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back