• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best 10x42 for $500 for me? (1 Viewer)

jnielsen

In your opinion what is the best 10x42 for $500?

Here are my wants.

No aspherical or field flattening lenses, I do not like the globe effect.
FOV-normal or wide angle, nothing less than 315 feet @1000 yds.

I am not too particular whether it is a single hinge or open bridge design.

Do not get along well with large eye cups. Do not wear glasses.

I am considering these.

Leupold Mojave Pro Guide
Zen Ray ED4 when it comes out.
Nikon Monarch 7
Minox BL 44mm HD
Vanguard End. 2 ED

Thanks

I suggest that you call the new Cabelas store near SLC and ask them if they have any of your binoculars in stock. You might get lucky. If they do take a trip there and try them out yourself.

Bob

Considering that no one has seen an ED4, and most likely no one here has seen the upcoming HD Mojave (at least no one has mentioned it yet), it would be extremely difficult to answer your question. Or to put it another way - it is hard to evaluate something that one has never used.

As for the rest of them - I've owned three Minox binos, and all of them were pretty bad. I will no longer own any Minox bino, nor would I ever recommend them to anyone.

Between the M7 and EDII -- I would go for the M7 as it has a smaller footprint, less weight, and much wider FOV. Based on my experience with the original ED and M7, I would bet that the M7's focus wheel will be a lot better too. I would bet that a practiced eye will like the EDII's view slightly better, but the M7 is pretty good too, and would be my choice. As always, YMMV......

Last edited:
The Vortex Viper HD is very good, but bit over you budget. Try the Bushnell Elite ED too. It is optically better tham Nikon M7. My own experience.

The Vanguard Endeavor ED II is having some very good reviews, but I never use one yet.

Here are my wants.

I am considering these.

Leupold Mojave Pro Guide
Nikon Monarch 7
Minox BL 44mm HD
Vanguard End. 2 ED

Thanks

The dislike of flat fields/globe effect might guide this one a bit. The Vanguard is very flat, thought there is a little pincushion and I'm not troubled by the magnification distortion in normal use. The 8x does seem to be favoured over the 10x by most that have compared them. While the Monarch 7 isn't strictly a flat view, I found the magnification distortion troubling in the x42 models. I think it still beats the Vanguard on ergonomics and colour but to my eyes, not sharpness.

The Minox seems a well priced, very solid, middle of the road choice to me. Not the best at anything, but no bad habits I spotted either. Probably more suited to bigger hands. I've not seen the Leupold.

David

I would opt for the Nikon M7 and potentially the ED4. Operating under the assumption that the ED4 should improve upon the ED3's optics in the way that the ED3 improved on the ED2 it definitely should be a recommendable binocular.

I had the opportunity to handle a "sample bin" that was reportedly the Leupold Mojave Pro Guide. Assuming it was I would pick the other two over the Leupold. It was a "decent" binocular but didn't inspire awe optically.

Here are my wants.

I am considering these.

Leupold Mojave Pro Guide
Nikon Monarch 7
Minox BL 44mm HD
Vanguard End. 2 ED

Thanks
Act fast on this one. Only 19 hours left on the Ebay auction. It is the best for your money.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vanguard-En...56?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item1c51b58828

Considering that no one has seen an ED4, and most likely no one here has seen the upcoming HD Mojave (at least no one has mentioned it yet), it would be extremely difficult to answer your question. Or to put it another way - it is hard to evaluate something that one has never used.

So I guess better mention that I am now working both a Leupold regular Mojave BX-3 and the BX-3 Pro Guide. Both are 10x42. Both will fit your needs. The Pro Guide will check in higher than your $500, the regular will not. The Pro Guide has a lot better CA control. The Mojave will be an easy recommendation at the price. The Pro Guide is an excellent a binocular. The new Mojave is VERY compact. No bigger than several 32 mm.

Excellent images on both.

So I guess better mention that I am now working both a Leupold regular Mojave BX-3 and the BX-3 Pro Guide. Both are 10x42. Both will fit your needs. The Pro Guide will check in higher than your $500, the regular will not. The Pro Guide has a lot better CA control. The Mojave will be an easy recommendation at the price. The Pro Guide is an excellent a binocular. The new Mojave is VERY compact. No bigger than several 32 mm.

Excellent images on both.

Well then -- thanks for mentioning it.

I hope that you will have time to put up a detailed review, at some point.....

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back