• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (3 Viewers)

Black Guillemots

I went to Clogher Head today. There were 2 birds in the new holes- facing Cruisetown.

One of the Whoopers at Keenans has been there for a while and looks injured. I wonder if its mate has decided to stay as well!

Peter

Attachments

• Black Guillemot nesting.jpg
    Black Guillemot nesting.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 79
  • GBBG3.jpg
    GBBG3.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
I went to Clogher Head today. There were 2 birds in the new holes- facing Cruisetown.

It will be interesting to see how things progress (must get some sort of periscope to keep an eye on things) - i guess if they succeed in not breaking the eggs and they get to hatching, the nestlings should be OK...

At Mulahattin saturday grasshopper warbler, blackcap, chiffchaff and willow warblers - also redpoll breeding in the area (i had not seen redpoll there before)...

Enda had two 1W little gulls at lurgangreen yesterday, later seen between the bridges in dundalk opposite the old dump.

Attachments

• redpoll mulahattin apr 07.jpg
    redpoll mulahattin apr 07.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 92
Was only a couple of feet from this wee blackbird yesterday before I noticed it, too tame for it's own good! My garden isn't doing too badly for a town garden as far as nesting goes, there are 2 pairs of blue tits, 1 pair of coal tits, a pair of robins and a pair of blackbirds in the hedges, the robins being the only ones to use a nestbox, and countless house sparrows in the roof.

Attachments

• juv bbird 010507.JPG
    juv bbird 010507.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Have a similar problem with an adult Blackbird in my garden. It runs around the garden, as close as a foot or 2 to you. Seems perfectly healthy though. None of the nest boxes I put up have been used this year, there only up since January to maybe next year.
I have a hedgehog in the garden which I found the dog trying to play with one night! not bad for a town centre garden

At Mell Quarry today I noticed a fulmar back in a crevice in the wall of the quarry. I only saw one in the time I was there but I assume it was one of the pair that was there last year. It will be interesting to see if they nest this year. I've attached an extremely poor photo, it's tricky taking photos at an angle through the railings! Couldn't find the ring necked duck today but there were plenty of other birds around including this nesting great crested grebe.

Attachments

• fulmar mell 020507.JPG
    fulmar mell 020507.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 98
  • gcg mell 020507.JPG
    gcg mell 020507.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 88
Photos of little gulls at Dundalk docks and park area 1st and 2nd may.

Attachments

• little gull park.jpg
    little gull park.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 87
  • lit gul park 2.jpg
    lit gul park 2.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 76
A few pics from trip to spain in april from louth birders on tour.

Attachments

• email 7.jpg
    email 7.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 83
  • email9.jpg
    email9.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 83
  • boot email 2.jpg
    boot email 2.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 79
  • new boot.jpg
    new boot.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 86
Little Tern Protection Scheme Baltray

Just wanted to give an update on how things are going out at Baltray.

The little terns began to arrive at Baltray in mid April. The highest count to date was last Monday when there were 34+ present. They have been displaying - offering fish to each other etc, and checking out potential nesting areas on the shingle. This is very early so we have had to get the ball rolling earlier than expected.

We have put up some fence posts and signs around the potential nesting area, some of the signs indicating the presence of ground nesting birds, and others informing about the little tern project. This weekend we intend to attach string to the posts to create a cordon.

The NPWS have agreed to fund fencing which was fantastic news - a chicken wire fence with electric fencing outside it. This will be erected next week. A JCB will be on site on Wednesday to dig the trench and insert the posts. That evening (and the following evening if necessary) the rest of the work will need to be completed by volunteers - attaching the chicken wire to the posts and filling in the trench. We will need as many volunteers as possible that evening. If anyone is free please come along, and bring any other willing people you can find along with you. Bring a shovel or hammer, or both. You can email [email protected], or PM me, or phone or text me on 086 8625901. Also, if anyone is free during that day Tommy will be helping the man with the JCB and could do with extra help if possible.

Once the fencing is up we will need volunteer wardens present as much of the time as possible. Again, if there's anyone out there that would have any time whatsoever to spare and if you haven't already contacted me please let me know. And thanks to everyone who has come forward so far!

A JCB will be on site on Wednesday to dig the trench and insert the posts. That evening (and the following evening if necessary) the rest of the work will need to be completed by volunteers - attaching the chicken wire to the posts and filling in the trench. We will need as many volunteers as possible that evening. If anyone is free please come along, and bring any other willing people you can find along with you. Bring a shovel or hammer, or both. You can email [email protected], or PM me, or phone or text me on 086 8625901. Also, if anyone is free during that day Tommy will be helping the man with the JCB and could do with extra help if possible.

I'll try to get there Wednesday 9th May. On Thursday noted five little terns circling the nesting area, also dozens of sanderling, dunlin, knot, turnstone, oystercatcher etc on the shoreline...

We also got the black guillemot nesting boxes out onto the breakwater at Greenore. Along balaggan, sedge warblers in song, big influx of swallows last week and the first few housemartins. Northern wheatears coming through. No sign of a swift yet...

Unfortunately the nesting site of the peregrines in the Glenmore valley has been once again abandoned...fourth year in a row.

I might have a look for it on tuesday, I was planning a trip to Baltray. I assume its a male?
Yes it was a male garganey. Didn't get a chance today to look for it along the river, no sign of it at the beach.

I'll try to get there Wednesday 9th May. On Thursday noted five little terns circling the nesting area, also dozens of sanderling, dunlin, knot, turnstone, oystercatcher
That's brilliant Breffni. The response has been quite good so far but I'm still looking for more volunteers.... many hands etc.

Gerry, those shots are excellent, sounded like it was a well worthwhile trip.

Whitethroats and sedge warblers at balaggan/whitestown saturday. Owlets calling as early as 7pm at Mulahattin where at least 14 willow warblers singing and at least two blackcaps, a few chiffchaffs and at least two grasshopper warblers - woodcock roding from around 9pm (maybe earlier - only saw one)...might do an outing up there some evening this week or next?

Wader pics from Baltray shoreline....

Attachments

• whitethroat balaggan may 07.jpg
    whitethroat balaggan may 07.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 92
  • willow warbler mulahattin may 07.jpg
    willow warbler mulahattin may 07.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 80
  • sedge warbler balag may 07.jpg
    sedge warbler balag may 07.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 78
  • shoreline baltray.jpg
    shoreline baltray.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 63
  • sanderling baltray may 07.jpg
    sanderling baltray may 07.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 73
...might do an outing up there some evening this week or next?
Sounds like a good idea. Next week might be better as tomorrow evening the fencing work at Baltray will be happening, and that might extend to Thursday evening for some of us depending how it goes.

Yup - if we did it next week sunset is a bit after 10pm.

Eider pair yesterday at Balaggan point...

Attachments

• eider pair balag may 07.jpg
    eider pair balag may 07.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 84
Baltray

We got the chicken wire fence up in Baltray yesterday. In dreadful conditions volunteers still turned out and put in an excellent evening's work without a word of complaint. Thankfully the weather cleared up eventually but it was tough going for a while. A big thanks to everyone who turned out, Tommy and Margaret (who worked from morning till sunset), Peter, Breffni, Chris Honan, Kieran Campbell, Patricia and Len Johnson, Rosemary Seaman and Brendan.

We aim to get the electric fencing up on Friday evening. This work won't be back breaking but will be time consuming so again all volunteers will be welcome.

Attachments

• baltray 090507 05.JPG
    baltray 090507 05.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 90
  • baltray 090507 13.JPG
    baltray 090507 13.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 76
That was great progress yesterday at Baltray!

On the negative side, those peregrines have definately abandoned the site - no sign at all for a few days now - no reaction when approaching the nesting site. First swift over carlingford lough today. Still large numbers of whimbrel (several in my "garden" this morning) and foraging in the barley fields around the area.

Saw quite a few swifts flying northwards up the beach at Baltray yesterday evening and this evening.

Numbers of little terns had dropped a bit over the last week but figures were back up to 28 this evening.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back