• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Taiwan - Birding Reports (1 Viewer)

Dave 2x

Based upon some info from local birders we had a quick trip to Keelung (about 15 miles NE of Taipei) yesterday morning to check out a flock of Brown Boobies attacking bait fish in the harbour. Approx. 100 Brown Boobies and maybe 50 Great Crested Terns were oblivious to the small army of photographers.

Will try and remember to keep updating this thread with some regular reports/photos.

Cheers

Dave

Attachments

• Great Crested Tern.jpg
    Great Crested Tern.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 277
  • Brown Booby.jpg
    Brown Booby.jpg
    425 KB · Views: 264
  • Brown Booby 2.jpg
    Brown Booby 2.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 287
Thanks for the comments!

This weekend I managed to escape for a few hours to make a trip with the Yilan Wild Bird Society to Ming Chi Lake in Yilan. This location is at a high altitude so it's possible to pick up most of the more common mountain birds. Some of the highlights were:-

Gray-chinned Minivets - nice flock at lower altitude
Bronzed Drongo - common
Brown Shrike - have not see them for a while
Varied Tit - approx. 15 in a mixed flock
Green-backed Tit - a few
Rufous-faced Warbler
Large-billed Crow
Taiwan Yuhina
Taiwan Barbet
Gray-capped Woodpecker
Formosan Whistling-Thrush
Crested Serpent Eagle
and my target species Mandarin Duck

This location is a known breeding area for Mandarin Duck and we found a group of around 15 males and females approx. 1km past the lake.

Attachments

• Gray-chinned Minivet 6.jpg
    Gray-chinned Minivet 6.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 235
  • Rufous-faced Warbler.jpg
    Rufous-faced Warbler.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 250
  • Mandarin Duck.jpg
    Mandarin Duck.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 210
and a few more photos from the weekend....

Attachments

• Mandarin Duck 2.jpg
    Mandarin Duck 2.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 218
  • Short-legged Japalura.jpg
    Short-legged Japalura.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 198
  • Mandarin Duck 3.jpg
    Mandarin Duck 3.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 239
  • Formosan Whistling-Thrush 3.jpg
    Formosan Whistling-Thrush 3.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 338
Last edited:
Great stuff Dave. Takes me back to my visit to Taiwan in May last year. Took us about three hours in appalling weather to tick a single Varied Tit!

This past weekend I visited Taiwan's Matsu Islands which are actually much closer to China's coastline than mainland Taiwan

Friday 27 September 2013
Met up with members of the Taipei Wild Bird Society at the Ferry Terminal in Keelung. Nice to see a few familiar and friendly faces from my trip the previous year. Ferry departed on time at 10:00pm.

Saturday 28 September 2013
Ferry arrived at Dongyin Island at approximately 6:00am. We stayed on the ferry and traveled another 2 hours to Nangang Island. I spent the whole 2 hours sea watching with a grand total of 2 birds, a Bridled Tern and a Black-naped Tern.

The day spent on Nangan quickly made us realize that the number of migrants was low compared to the previous year. Some of the highlights were, Ashy Drongos, Oriental Magpie-Robin, Eurasian Kestrel, Chinese Sparrowhawk, Black-throated Tit, Asian Paradise Flycatcher, Curlew Sandpiper, Eurasian Hoopoe, Eurasian Hobby, Black-winged Cuckooshrike (for me heard only), Long-tailed Shrike, Brown Shrike, Arctic Warbler, Asian Brown Flycatcher, Blue Rock Thrush, Stonechat, White-cheeked Starling, Yellow-billed Grosbeak, White Wagtail, Gray Wagtail.

Sunday 29 September 2013
Took the early morning ferry to Dongyin Island. An hour’s sea watching produced a Pomarine Jaeger and 2 Great Crested Terns. The island itself produced Asian Brown Flycatcher, Dark-sided Flycatcher, Gray-streaked Flycatcher, Black-naped Oriole, Yellow-browed Warbler, Arctic Warbler, Chinese Sparrowhawk, Little Bunting, Richard’s Pipit, Red-throated Pipit, Pechora Pipit, Zitting Cisticolas, Eurasian Hobby, Eurasian Kestrel, Osprey, Black Drongo, Ashy Drongo.

Monday 30 September 2013
On the last day we first headed to Daqiu island which was also quiet with very few migrants. Blue Rock Thrush, Japanese White-eye, Asian Brown Flycatcher, Chinese Sparrowhawk, Black-naped Oriole were the only birds I managed to identify. A bonus on this island was the chance to photograph the endemic Formosan Sika Deer. Others picked up a rare (for Taiwan) Hair-crested Drongo.

We then transferred by ferry to Beigan island where we only added Kentish Plover to the trip list.

Overall a disappointing trip compared to the previous year with a lack of migrant flycatchers and buntings this year. It was still a good trip with stunning scenery, fresh seafood and a few good birds. I will be back for the Spring migration in 2014 and again in the summer to hopefully photograph the Chinese Crested Terns.

As usual more photos will follow later once I have time...

Cheers

Dave

Attachments

• Long-tailed Shrike 3.jpg
    Long-tailed Shrike 3.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 223
  • Long-tailed Shrike 5.jpg
    Long-tailed Shrike 5.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 243
  • Eurasian Kestrel.jpg
    Eurasian Kestrel.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 166
A few photos...more to come

Cheers

Dave

Attachments

• Curlew Sandpiper.jpg
    Curlew Sandpiper.jpg
    321.3 KB · Views: 189
  • Chinese Sparrowhawk.jpg
    Chinese Sparrowhawk.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 273
  • Formosan Sika Deer.jpg
    Formosan Sika Deer.jpg
    398.5 KB · Views: 406
  • Praying Mantis.jpg
    Praying Mantis.jpg
    278.1 KB · Views: 200
  • Ashy Drongo 2.jpg
    Ashy Drongo 2.jpg
    367.4 KB · Views: 226
This weekend I made a Sunday morning trip to Yehliu which on it's day can be a great migrant trap. I timed it badly and missed the Siberian Blue Robin that had spent the last 2 weeks there, by one day! Sunrise brought a flock of Eurasian Siskin flying in off the ocean but they didn't stop for a photo. Chinese Sparrowhawks were also passing through but too high for good photos while a Peregrine Falcon was perched in it's usual spot on the radio mast. The only migrants I managed to photograph on this trip were Asian Brown Flycatchers...at least 3 different birds at various locations.

Other birds seen/heard included Taiwan Scimitar Babblers, Pacific Reef Egrets, Blue Rock-Thrush, Common Sandpiper and a probable Japanese Sparrowhawk.

Only a couple of photos this week....and a juvenile Chinese Cobra from the previous week.

Cheers

Dave

Attachments

• Chinese Cobra.jpg
    Chinese Cobra.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 207
  • Paper Kite Butterfly.jpg
    Paper Kite Butterfly.jpg
    386.8 KB · Views: 210
  • Asian Brown Flycatcher 2.jpg
    Asian Brown Flycatcher 2.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 222
Saturday 19 October 2013
Decided to do a day trip to my favourite location in Taiwan…Dasyueshan.

Setting off from Taichung at 4:30am we reached Dasyueshan Km23.5 at 5:30am. On the way to Km23.5 White-tailed Robins and Taiwan Whistling Thrushes jumped off the road.

First birds to show up were Black-throated Tits, Steere’s Liocichla and White-eared Sibias. A Brownish-flanked Bush-Warbler, numerous Taiwan Partridge and a Formosan Barking Deer were also calling but never came into view. 2 Female Swinhoe’s Pheasants were more obliging and carried on feeding within 6ft of us.

Leaving Km23.5 we continued up the mountain stopping briefly to admire a male Swinhoe’s Pheasant before stopping at Km32. A large troop of Formosan Rock Macaques were feeding here and the only birds of note were an Ashy Wood-Pigeon, a group of Rufous-capped Babblers and brief views of a Besra.

Next stop was the carpark at the entrance gate around Km35. Everything was quiet until we located a mixed flock working the trees in the carpark that included Black-throated Tit, Taiwan Barwing, Eurasian Nuthatch, Fire-breasted Flowerpecker and a lone Ferruginous Flycatcher.

As Trail 210 is still closed we decided to try the trail that commences about 0.5km further up the mountain. Large mixed flocks were feeding around here mainly made up of Barwings, Black-throated Tits, Taiwan Yuhinas, a lone Green-backed Tit and numerous Rufous-faced Warblers.

About 50 metres into the trail a female Mikado Pheasant was searching for food in the dry leaves but it disappeared once it spotted me. Perhaps another 100 metres up the trail 3 Taiwan Partridge were spotted before scurrying away.

Further stops produced Asian House-Martin and House Swifts before reaching Anmashan at Km42. Anmashan produced our first of many White-whiskered Laughingthrush, Large-billed Crows and lots of Steere’s Liocichla and Black-throated Tits.

Nothing was happening at the Mikado Steak out at Km47 so we headed to the top of the mountain before walking along the Forest Road behind the restaurant. New birds found on this road were Brown Bullfinch (3), Taiwan Fulvetta and a nice male Vinaceous Rosefinch. A Ferruginous Flycatcher was the only other bird of note.

Changing strategy we headed up towards the lake with approx., 100 noisy tourists. We still managed our first Flamecrests, Eurasian Nutcracker and a sole Yellowish-bellied Bush-Warbler.

Heading back to Km47 a beautiful male Mikado Pheasant was already waiting for us and was soon joined by a female. At Km41.5 waterfall we picked up a Little Forktail that wasn’t keen on having it’s photograph taken and then headed back down to Km23.5.

On arrival at Km23.5 a large group of tourists were surrounding a poor photographer who got frustrated as his subject, a Taiwan Partridge, had just been spooked by the tourists. We waited another 20 minutes but only a group of 5 Swinhoe’s Pheasants (1 male and 4 females) walked past.

As we headed back down the mountain we briefly stopped at Km23 for a group of 7 Swinhoe’s Pheasants (1 male and 6 females) before heading back to Taichung.

As always this mountain never seems to fail to deliver….15 Swinhoe’s Pheasants, 3 Mikado Pheasants and 3 Taiwan Partridge in one day so can’t really complain! B :)

Surprising misses on this trip were the Bush-Robins, Woodpeckers, Vivid Niltava and Yellow Tit.

As usual photos will follow when I get some spare time….

Cheers

Dave

Last edited:
Only a group of 5 Swinhoe's pheasants.

So jealous. Maybe in January.

January is a great time to go....the Swinhoe's are very common right now, even outnumbering the photographers! The Mikado are usually more difficult and the Taiwan Partridge are even more difficult.

A few photos, more to come....the Sibia was from an earlier trip.

Cheers

Dave

Attachments

• Steere's Liocichla 2.jpg
    Steere's Liocichla 2.jpg
    389.3 KB · Views: 200
  • Formosan Striped Squirrel 2.jpg
    Formosan Striped Squirrel 2.jpg
    431.3 KB · Views: 245
  • Eurasian Nuthatch.jpg
    Eurasian Nuthatch.jpg
    438.5 KB · Views: 198
  • Swinhoe's Pheasant 4.jpg
    Swinhoe's Pheasant 4.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 222
  • White-eared Sibia 2.jpg
    White-eared Sibia 2.jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 204
26/27 October 2013

After receiving a tip that Yehliu Geopark just outside of Taipei was producing some good birds, I decided to skip the Birdfair at Guandu and go chasing migrants!

Some amazing migrants found this weekend included:-

Pallas's Rosefinch (First record for Taiwan)
Chinese Thrush (Second record for Taiwan)
Yellow-throated Bunting
Tristram's Bunting (male and female)
Taiga Flycatcher (1)
Red-breasted Flycatcher (2)
Brambling
Pallas's Leaf-Warbler (common)
Lanceolated Warbler (a few)

Other birds seen by others included Eurasian Siskin, Yellow-browed Bunting, Pale-legged Leaf-Warbler, Sakhalin Warbler.

On top of that the more usual birds included Peregrine Falcon (3), Black Kites, Taiwan Scimitar-Babbler, Black-naped Monarch, Yellow-browed Warbler, Pale Thrush, Blue Rock Thrush.

As usual I have not had time to go through all my photos yet but will add some more when I get a chance.

Cheers

Dave

Attachments

• Yellow-throated Bunting.jpg
    Yellow-throated Bunting.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 172
  • Tristram's Bunting.jpg
    Tristram's Bunting.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 220
  • Pallas's Leaf Warbler 3.jpg
    Pallas's Leaf Warbler 3.jpg
    287.3 KB · Views: 276
  • Pallas's Rosefinch.jpg
    Pallas's Rosefinch.jpg
    378.3 KB · Views: 197
  • Chinese Thrush.jpg
    Chinese Thrush.jpg
    358.6 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
...and some more photos

Attachments

• Pallas's Rosefinch 2.jpg
    Pallas's Rosefinch 2.jpg
    414.4 KB · Views: 220
  • Black-naped Monarch 4.jpg
    Black-naped Monarch 4.jpg
    318.7 KB · Views: 210
  • Brambling.jpg
    Brambling.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 202
  • Daurian Redstart 3.jpg
    Daurian Redstart 3.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 166
  • Black Kite 2.jpg
    Black Kite 2.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 204
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back