• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (6 Viewers)

Well after following this thread for a year I just have to go up to Dundalk Bay and see what's around! I plan to do this tomorrow weather permitting. Never been to Dundalk before but sure once I'm out of the DART Station I'll just see where the road leads me! I need to kick off '08 with a bang so I may as well!

I hope you enjoyed your day out Mabel!

Great shots Gerry.

Thirty twite and eight brambling at rockmarshal yesterday per bins - i found two twite there this morning in the snow flurries - the redpoll were in the lane beside the Texico station.

47. Woodpigeon
48. Collared dove
49. Twite
50. Brambling
51. Redpoll
52. Knot
53. Little egret
54. Lesser black backed gull

(just noted that i got 153 species in louth in 2006 per eugene archers list)

Last edited:
Huge influx of ducks at carlingford...
55. Shelduck
56. Wigeon
57. Teal
58. Mallard
59. Snipe
60. Great crested grebe
61. Moorhen
62. Greenshank
63. Little grebe
64. Siskin (foye woods - no sign of crossbills)

Thirty twite and eight brambling at rockmarshal
(just noted that i got 153 species in louth in 2006 per eugene archers list)

Not bad. I think I did Ok last year I must check my total. I was talking to Gerry about this recently. Does anybody know what the year list for Louth is and how did Eamonn Larrissey fare in 2007. I think he tried 'a big year in the wee county'.

ps What is Eugene Archers list?

louyh year list

Not bad. I think I did Ok last year I must check my total. I was talking to Gerry about this recently. Does anybody know what the year list for Louth is and how did Eamonn Larrissey fare in 2007. I think he tried 'a big year in the wee county'.

E.L. list was 164 for this year and 165 for 1997 which was a good year for rare sightins Wilsons phal,lesser yellowlegs etc.Any one doing a year list for louth would reach 150 after that you are into the harder birds to catch up with or a bit of luck onpicking the right year to do one...

Its here - excludes white wags, black brant etc - that year the only species that were atypical for me were the likes of wood sandpiper, goosander, yellow wag etc: http://www.irishbirding.com/checklist.html - its a handy list...

The year i got 153 in louth i got 201 in ireland (including baikal teal etc)

E.L. list was 164 for this year and 165 for 1997 which was a good year for rare sightins Wilsons phal,lesser yellowlegs etc.Any one doing a year list for louth would reach 150 after that you are into the harder birds to catch up with or a bit of luck onpicking the right year to do one...

Thanks, Gerry and Breffni,

I checked mine- 148 last year. But I did not look for a few certs like Dipper etc. I must try harder this year and keep a list.

Are the Twite and Brambling still at Fitzpatricks? I have to start somewhere!

Last edited:
3 Great Crested Grebes were sheltering in Clogherhead harbour during the week. Big numbers of garden birds at our feeders over the last few weeks. We had a Starling on the feeder this morning, I've seen a Jackdaw on them but this is the first time we've had a Starling.

Attachments

• tn_GC Grebe at CHead Harbour 12.JPG
    tn_GC Grebe at CHead Harbour 12.JPG
    179.9 KB · Views: 88
  • tn_Starling at feeder .JPG
    tn_Starling at feeder .JPG
    235.7 KB · Views: 87
large numbers of gulls on the beach at cruisetown today attracted no doubt by the piles of shellfish washed onto the beach.1 med gull was the best i saw among them with the ringtail hen harrier also present in the fields opp. the strand

Attachments

• g.northern diver.jpg
    g.northern diver.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 95
  • med gull2.jpg
    med gull2.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 103
Tomorrow, Monday 7th January: Dick Coombes will do an illustrated talk on Iceland entitled Birds, Whales and Hot Springs – Spirit Store, Dundalk Docks, 8:00pm.

All are welcome!

Louth List

Hi Gerry,

I made a start on a list for Couty Louth. If you remember you might bring along that book on birds in Louth, tomorrow night.

Peter

Great light yesterday - added a few more to the list (not yet left cooley!)
67. Stonechat
68. Fieldfare
69. Crossbill
70. Rock pipit
71. Reed bunting
72. Dipper
73. Long-tailed tit
74. Black-tailed godwit
75. Bar-tailed godwit
76. Mute swan
(so much for making 90 species in one day...)

Attachments

• filedfare balaggan jan 08.jpg
    filedfare balaggan jan 08.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 97
  • greenshank carlingford jan 08.jpg
    greenshank carlingford jan 08.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 99
  • goldfinch rockmarshal jan 07.jpg
    goldfinch rockmarshal jan 07.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 91
Todays Birds

Great light yesterday - added a few more to the list (not yet left cooley!)
67. Stonechat
68. Fieldfare
69. Crossbill
70. Rock pipit
71. Reed bunting
72. Dipper
73. Long-tailed tit
74. Black-tailed godwit
75. Bar-tailed godwit
76. Mute swan
(so much for making 90 species in one day...)

Great shots! Where did you see the crossbill? I hope to make crossbill,twite and brambling on wednesday.

I went for a walk from Hermitage to Dunany. There are over 800 passerines in the fields and hedges. Mainly Linnet 500, Meadow Pipit 100, Chaffinch 100, Skylark 50 some Greenfinch,Goldfinch and a few Reed Bunting also a Kestrel and Female type Hen Harrier harrassing the flocks. Nothing unusual among them. There were about 80 thrushs feeding in the fields about 40 of which were Song Thrush which was a bit of a surprise.

Keenans Cross pond had 1 Whooper Swan, 3 Goldeneye, 6 Tufted Duck, 12 Pochard, 3 Gadwall and the FWM Ring necked Duck

Attachments

• Blackbird.jpg
    Blackbird.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 88
  • femaleblackbird.jpg
    femaleblackbird.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 80
  • Mistlethrush.jpg
    Mistlethrush.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 86
  • Linnets.jpg
    Linnets.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 88
  • RNDGoldeneye.JPG
    RNDGoldeneye.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 95
Great shots! Where did you see the crossbill? I hope to make crossbill,twite and brambling on wednesday.[/B]

The crossbills flew across the road somewhere between the windy gap and jenkinstown - they flew into dense trees. BTW when out at rockmarshal, look out for this redpoll, which we reckon is a possible mealy redpoll...

Attachments

• redpoll rockmarshal jan 08.jpg
    redpoll rockmarshal jan 08.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 107
There was a large flock of Chaffinch at Dunany this afternoon with some Brambling among them. They were down the road which runs roughly parallel with Hermitage. They were feeding in the stubble field which made photography difficult.

Tomorrow, Monday 7th January: Dick Coombes will do an illustrated talk on Iceland entitled Birds, Whales and Hot Springs – Spirit Store, Dundalk Docks, 8:00pm.

All are welcome!
Dick's talk was very interesting and a great turn out.

large numbers of gulls on the beach at cruisetown today attracted no doubt by the piles of shellfish washed onto the beach.1 med gull was the best i saw among them with the ringtail hen harrier also present in the fields opp. the strand
Still a huge amount of gulls at Cruisetown yesterday, they covered the whole length of the strand, I've never seen numbers like that there before.

Following our discussion on cattle egrets the other night I note that one was observed in Galloway today, some 70 miles North of our location. 38 have now been recorder in Ireland this winter, so fingers crossed we'll be having one soon.
Also an American Wigeon at the Calf of Man today - he might stop off here on the way home!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back