• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (5 Viewers)

The G Heron perched on a tall tree made quite a sight, don't know if this is a usual perch for them.
Baltray Beach had a good number of waders last week, no sign of the Snow Bunting though.
Thought it very quiet at Dunany last week and then spied the Buzzard on the nearby post.

Attachments

• tn_Baltray Beach 4.JPG
    tn_Baltray Beach 4.JPG
    171.5 KB · Views: 69
  • tn_Buzzard at Dunany .JPG
    tn_Buzzard at Dunany .JPG
    145 KB · Views: 87
  • tn_G Heron on tree Parsonstown 1.JPG
    tn_G Heron on tree Parsonstown 1.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 70
  • tn_G Heron on tree Parsonstown 2.JPG
    tn_G Heron on tree Parsonstown 2.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 64
  • tn_Knot & OCatcher at Dunany .JPG
    tn_Knot & OCatcher at Dunany .JPG
    277.7 KB · Views: 65
MargaretM
Thank you for compliment over on the Galway tread. Heres one right back at ya, great shot of the Buzzard, I have yet to get a one of a Buzzard|=\|, they are scarce over here in the west.
Tom

On Saturday had a hen harrier ringtail (91) at rock marshal flying eastwards. There were still a few finches there but numbers down. On sunday rockmarshal was cleared out. Spent a few hours in the mountains and foye woods but only siskins, of which hundreds, and many very vocal goldcrests. There were dozens of finches feeding in the roundabouts near ballymascanlon, amongst which at least one twite. Beside the ballymac hotel carpark i had a treecreeper (92) in the broadleaf trees after a short search. There are three robins battling it out for control of the hotel garden area, primo robin territory.

The glaucous, bewicks and lapland bunting look like blockers!

Attachments

• goldcrest.jpg
    goldcrest.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 77
  • robin winter evening.jpg
    robin winter evening.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Quick reminder of the talk at the Spirit Store tomorrow at 8pm where Peter will cover rare and scarce birds in Louth in 2007 and Brian Caffery from BWI will do a talk on the Birds Atlas.

The talk on Louth 2007 scarce birds by Peter was excellent as was the talk by Brian Caffrey on Birds Atlas in the Spirit Store tonight and a good turnout as usual.

More Maurice Conaghy shots

Here's a few more of Maurice's photos taken in the last year.

Attachments

• owl1.jpg
    owl1.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 72
  • owl2.jpg
    owl2.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 71
  • owl eyes.jpg
    owl eyes.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 81
  • flock.jpg
    flock.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 79
  • seal close up.jpg
    seal close up.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 63
Thanks Margaret. Nice shots, well done Sandra/Maurice.

There are still at least 2 Iceland Gulls at Cruisetown. One pale,one dark.I checked the Cruisetown Fields,the best was a Merlin and 35 Stock Dove. Plenty of Skylark about.The beach was quiet. About 30 Sanderling.This poor unfortunate Grey Crow was on the beach unable to fly. I put him in a sheltered spot behind the beach. On the way home I had this Buzzard calling his little heart out, beside the road.

Attachments

• sanderlings.JPG
    sanderlings.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 65
  • Hoodedcrow.JPG
    Hoodedcrow.JPG
    253.4 KB · Views: 64
  • skylark2.JPG
    skylark2.JPG
    168.8 KB · Views: 68
  • Buzzard1.JPG
    Buzzard1.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 68
  • Buzzard2.JPG
    Buzzard2.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 73
Two long-tailed ducks (93) distantly visible off giles quay yesterday with the flock of scoter - no sign of the velvet. Also good numbers of great northern divers and red-throated divers.

Attachments

• red-throated diver giles feb 08.jpg
    red-throated diver giles feb 08.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 80
  • great northern divers giles feb 08.jpg
    great northern divers giles feb 08.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Well done on the LTDs.

I went out today to do my duty, and complete my winter visit at cruisetown for the Bird Atlas. It just so happens that it falls in the Lapland Bunting field. No luck with the bunting ,but I had a very respectable 54 species for the hour.
Not much of note. Lots of large gulls at Port Oriel. A Peregrine was cruising along the rocks.The fishermen were mending their nets. On the road beside them I found a young Shag, probably a casualty of the very same nets.

About 90 Whooper and 300 Greylag Geese at Cruisetown. They are very flighty. I think someone was shooting in the fields. The geese flew north west.The swans settled near the road.

Work has begun clearing the mess at Hermitage.

I forgot to mention. I had 4 Razorbills flying south yesterday at Clogher Head.

112. Razorbill.

Attachments

• portoriel.JPG
    portoriel.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 70
  • shaged.JPG
    shaged.JPG
    218.9 KB · Views: 65
  • greylag.JPG
    greylag.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 67
  • whooperfly.JPG
    whooperfly.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 71
  • whooperfield.JPG
    whooperfield.JPG
    180.8 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Drove home via Salterstown and Cruisetown, saw the Whooper Swans in the field close to the road, about 63 in total.

Attachments

• tn_Whooper Swans at Cruisetown 2.JPG
    tn_Whooper Swans at Cruisetown 2.JPG
    191.2 KB · Views: 65
  • tn_Whooper Swans at Cruisetown 12.JPG
    tn_Whooper Swans at Cruisetown 12.JPG
    213.4 KB · Views: 61
Had a quick flit around today. At Baltray, there was a large flock of Golden Plover, maybe up to 5,000. The noise of them flying was very noticeable, a lovely sight as always. Also lots of Lapwing, Dunlin and some Knot. Also Widgeon and Shelduck
Quiet enough at Clogherhead, had lovely views of this Wagtail and Rock Pipit as they moved up the wall, pretty much oblivious to me leaning out the car window, madly snapping away.

Attachments

• tn_Pied Wagtail at Clogherhead 2.JPG
    tn_Pied Wagtail at Clogherhead 2.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 60
  • tn_Rock Pipit at CHead 01.JPG
    tn_Rock Pipit at CHead 01.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 66
  • tn_Rock Pipit at CHead 14.JPG
    tn_Rock Pipit at CHead 14.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 61
  • tn_Rock Pipit at CHead 07.JPG
    tn_Rock Pipit at CHead 07.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 72
With lambing well underway the ravens and buzzards are cleaning up the mess - this sheep tolerated the raven picking ticks from around its head...

Attachments

• raven and sheep.jpg
    raven and sheep.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 75
Early nesting

Starlings have nested in the corner roof space of my next door neighbour's house for as many years as I can remember.
I noticed this morning that they now appear to be mated and are nest building / repairing! Alot earlier than previous years.
That said, with temperatures expected to hit 16C today and tomorrow, I'm not surprised they're starting early.

Thought you might like to see picture of Buzzard (regular visitor to woods here in Bellingham) taken this week .

Attachments

• buzzard1.jpg
    buzzard1.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 78
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back