• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (5 Viewers)

Hello all,

Have a look at www.irishbirding.com
Its a new website devoted to irish bird sightings. You've probably all heard of it already but in case you haven't its well worth a look

Any news is good news!

I am assuming this has just been (re)launched? There are no photos when you press the photo link.

Anyway, it was one of my favourite sites when it was up and running a few years ago......... longevity seems to be a stumbling block when it comes to many of the internet sites. Another one...I cant recall the name at the moment.... gave British and Irish news daily, but has been "having a break" since last August!

Best of luck lads.

Hi all,
Here is a report I got back on a colour ringed Black-tailed Godwit I saw on the Little Brosna Callows a while back. If you look down the list you'll see a report from Dundalk Bay on 05-04-05. Did anyone on here report it by any chance? Its a long shot I know

The Dundalk bay record is indeed mine and here is a photo of the much travelled bird from that date!

Attachments

• black tail godwit wt rings.jpg
    black tail godwit wt rings.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 66
For anyone who might be interested Eric Dempsey will do an illustrated talk entitled "Summer Birds" that will cover pair formation, territory establishment, nesting, and rearing of young. There will also be an outing around the Carlingford area.
Date: Sunday 16th March 2008
Time: 3:30pm for outing; 7pm for talk
Place: Meet outside Carlingford Tourist Office (beside the car park)
There is a small fee involved - 7 euros for the outing (bus) and 5 euros for the talk. Note that Eric has gone digital - the photos are apparently "amazing" as Eric would say!

The Dundalk bay record is indeed mine and here is a photo of the much travelled bird from that date!

Thats brilliant thanks Breffni. Glad I asked now.
Much travelled is right. All that is missing is a Portugese sighting of the bird.
Amazing coincidence. There were at least 11 colour ringed birds (not counted by me) in the Little Brosna flock this spring. I don't know if all the bands were read fully though. It is really hard to get near them there.
Keep an eye out for the bird returning to Dundalk this spring ;)

Last edited:
Came home the coast road yesterday. 13 Whooper Swans at Salterstown, also a small number of Brent Geese there, one of them ringed. At Cruisetown there were 13 Whooper Swans with 5 of them ringed.

Attachments

• tn_Br Geese STwon1.JPG
    tn_Br Geese STwon1.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 61
  • tn_Wh Swans at STown 10.JPG
    tn_Wh Swans at STown 10.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 60
  • tn_Wh Swans at STown 18.JPG
    tn_Wh Swans at STown 18.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 53
Green-winged Teal seen at Lurgangreen yesterday by PK. Heading out this morning in the hope that it's still there.
Got a quick look at the GW Teal this morning thanks to Enda, just before it flew off. Went back this evening and after a short time Enda saw it flying in so got a good look at it, but too dark for digiscoping. After a large flock of Brent Geese flew in, any Teal around disappeared into the nearby channel. Enda should have some photos I hope.
A large flock of Golden Plover there, gave a wonderful display of formation flying!
Little Egrets flew off towards a roost close by - was there 9 or 11 of them Gerry?
A female Hen Harrier was seen there earlier today.

just about make it out in this pic.
also 11 pink footed geese out on the marsh today

Attachments

• gwt3.JPG
    gwt3.JPG
    207.4 KB · Views: 73
  • pink feet5.jpg
    pink feet5.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 77
Black Throated Diver at Cruisetown today by Paul Kelly. In quite close, but as tide was out, that was still too far for photos.
2 Bl Guillimots and 1 GC Grebe in Clogherhead Harbour.

Attachments

• tn_Bl Guillimit CHead 2.JPG
    tn_Bl Guillimit CHead 2.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 63
eider duck at balagan point this morning with gerry
not much else until this fellow showed up at mullahattan
summer is coming

Attachments

• IMG_5998.jpg
    IMG_5998.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
We had about 40 people for Eric's outing and talk on Sunday, many from Newry and a few from Dublin. Weather was great for once, the eider was the highlight. Missed GW teal on Sunday but flushed a presumed jack snipe in the spartina at lurgangreen (I'll tell you at the end of the year ;-). iWeBS count yesterday: duck and gull numbers well down, lapwing gone, 2000+ blacktailed godwits though, no migrants. Finally caught up with the green-wing teal in the falling light at Lugrangreen...

You can see from the link below the large amount of vegetation that has been removed from the centre of Dundalk. The site beside it, "Rice's yard" wil lalso soon be developed (app to cc was refused, as was appeal to abp but he will doubtless come back again). Key is to restore and conserve the riparian vegetation, much of which may well have naturally seeded. Also critical is to establish what was growing there in the first place - any photos or definate info on tree species would be very useful.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...4509,-6.392637&spn=0.001299,0.003186&t=h&z=18

Any news is good news!

I am assuming this has just been (re)launched? There are no photos when you press the photo link.

Anyway, it was one of my favourite sites when it was up and running a few years ago......... longevity seems to be a stumbling block when it comes to many of the internet sites. Another one...I cant recall the name at the moment.... gave British and Irish news daily, but has been "having a break" since last August!

Best of luck lads.

Hi Peter,
It is a relaunch. Looks like there'll be differences too though.
Apparently the site is only a test version and the glitches should be sorted soon. I didn't realise that when I posted initially above. I jumped the gun a bit.
By the way thanks for reporting on your Galway trip on the thread and posting the photos.
Regards,
Tom

Hi Peter,
It is a relaunch. Looks like there'll be differences too though.
Apparently the site is only a test version and the glitches should be sorted soon. I didn't realise that when I posted initially above. I jumped the gun a bit.
By the way thanks for reporting on your Galway trip on the thread and posting the photos.
Regards,
Tom

Thanks for that Tom.

The best at Lurgangreen this afternoon were 25 or so Pink footed Geese with the Greylag and White fronts. To far away to photograph.

Has the Eider been seen since?

Attachments

• greylags.jpg
    greylags.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 72
Thanks Breffni.

I got out for a couple of hours this morning. The best were 110 Red throated Diver between Salterstown and Cruisetown Strand, only about 200 Common Scotor remain and about 100 Razorbill are new. 100 Linnet and 20 Stock Dove also at Dunany. 2 first winter Iceland Gulls at Clogher Head along with 14 Black Guillemots.

No spring migrants yet.

Oystercatcher- A nice bird for someones garden list!

Attachments

• Oystercatcher.JPG
    Oystercatcher.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 61
  • icer.JPG
    icer.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 63
  • kittiwake.JPG
    kittiwake.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 60
February highlights (per forum)

February Highlights

(A bit quieter than january.)

2nd ‘a few’ Long tailed Duck- Salterstown BM

3rd Hen harrier ‘ring tail’- Rock Marshall BM
3rd Twite -near Ballymacscanlan BM
3rd 3 first winter Iceland Gulls- Cruisetown (to months end) Gerry O Neill et al

5th 2 Long tailed Duck- Giles Quay BM (also report of Velvet Scotor?)

10th Hen harrier ‘ring tail’- Seabank EF
10th Brambling Balagan Point JD BM
10th Long tailed Ducks-Carlingford JD

11th Short eared Owl-Baltray MC also reports of two during late Jan/ early feb

12th Hen harrier ‘ring tail’- Cruisetown DW

13th Ring necked Duck-Mell Quarry BM

14th 1-3 Pink footed Geese -near lurgangreen BM

16th 2 Shoveler – Beulieu MR

21st 3 Long tailed Duck – salterstown MR
21st 1 Goosander (male) Salterstown MR PP

24th 2nd Winter Ring billed Gull- lurgangreen PK GoN
24th 20 Pink footed Geese-Dromiskin PK

26th Velvet Scotor-Cruisetown BM
26th Sandwich Tern- Cruisetown BM

28th 6 Snow Bunting – Baltray MC

also report of 6 Long tailed Duck and 1 Slavonian Grebe months end at salterstown GoN DH

Last edited:
Louth Year List

I just did some sums and 133 species of birds have been recorded so far in County Louth this year.

Barn Owl and Woodcock are the only two resident species with no records yet.

The only regular (rare)winter visitors not recorded so far are Red necked Grebe, Black Redstart and Barnacle Goose.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back