• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panjin, Liaoning, China (1 Viewer)

Owen Krout

United States
I thought at first by the general size and shape, stubby wings and tail that I had a Daurian Starling in these pics, but the bill color and the white outline on the tail don't match the books. In riparian mixed woodland, immediately adjacent to apartment block. Sorry about the poor quality, but only got a chance for a few quick shots. It is the same bird as it only moved a short distance to the wires before flying off.

Attachments

• NT4A3053.jpg
    NT4A3053.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 56
  • NT4A3066.jpg
    NT4A3066.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 54
I would say this is Daurian. The overall structure (especially head/bill shape and short tail) looks right. I wonder if maybe the bill is paler because it is a juvenile, which seems to be the case with other starlings (e.g. White-shouldered).
The tail pattern looks fine for Daurian. They seem to have a white fringe to the outer tail feathers on several of the pictures on OBI, eg: http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?p=22&Bird_ID=2516&Bird_Family_ID=&pagesize=1&Location=

I would say this is Daurian. The overall structure (especially head/bill shape and short tail) looks right. I wonder if maybe the bill is paler because it is a juvenile, which seems to be the case with other starlings (e.g. White-shouldered).
The tail pattern looks fine for Daurian. They seem to have a white fringe to the outer tail feathers on several of the pictures on OBI, eg: http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?p=22&Bird_ID=2516&Bird_Family_ID=&pagesize=1&Location=

I have decided to count it as a Daurian. For the reasons that you give here and that there is a localized concentration of Daurian in that immediate area this year. I have gone back and looked at previous shots that I have of Daurian juveniles and this is a paler version. I did not observe the tail pattern on the previous individuals, but I didn't have any shots from that angle either.

Thanks for the help to everyone who both looked and who responded.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back