• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Taiwan on public transport. (1 Viewer)

adam.oscarson

Hi!

I'm currently I Taiwan and would like to do some birding. However, most places recommended I'm trip reports seems to require private transport. Are here any good sites that possible to reach on public transport?

I'm in Kenting area at the moment, planing to head up the east coast to Taipei in the next 1-2 weeks. At the moment we think of visiting Dulan and then Taroko before Taipei.

Regards,

Adam

Adam,

I visited Taroko many years ago before I was a birder. I had a taxi take me from Hualien to the upper end of the gorge, then walked down to the coastal road where I flagged down another cab back to town. It was a fairly long walk, but quite pleasant.

As to Kenting, the last time I was there I took the bus from Kaohsiung, then hired a car at my hotel for a day to see get to the various parks.

Not familiar with Dulan at all.

Jeff

Hi Adam,
When you get to Taipei there are several birding spots in the north that you can get to on public transportation. Keep in mind right now things are really slow birding wise since fall migration hasn't started yet but some early arrivals should start showing by the end of the month.
From City Hall bus station you can catch bus 1815 to Jinshan (which is the last stop) or to Yehliu (one of the best migrant hotspots) which is on the way about an hour from Taipei.
From Taipei main train station you can catch the MRT line going to Tansui and get off at Guandu which is a wetland area--there is also a Nature center there which has some local birds.
If you have computer access you can try and locate bus line NO.1 and get on and go to the last stop which is Huajiang Bridge which sometimes has some good birds. On that line you can get off at the Taipei Botanical Gardens--you're almost sure to see Malayan Night Heron there which is easy here but hard most everywhere else. Most of the Taiwan endemics are in the mountains and there is not much in the way of public transport to the birding spots. Of the endemics you can see in the Taipei area on public transportation only Taiwan Barbet and Taiwan Blue Magpie are good chances.

Good luck and enjoy your birding in Taiwan

David

Another good spot in the Taipei area is the Wulai Valley. There's a bus there from one of the MRT stations, but it's really hard to find the bus stop. I usually take a taxi to Wulai from the MRT and then take the bus back.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back