• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

chichester gravel pits advise wanted (1 Viewer)

Roger S.

I keep seeing reports now and again of birds sightings at Chichester gravel pits (Westhampnett-Drayton group) in west Sussex.
I have been around the quarry lane and southern leisure center ones but do not know what access I can get at the westhampnett/ drayton ones.
I have drove past them, but I am not sure where other birders get to view.I thought that they were private.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Roger.

Ah! I'll be watching this thread with interest Roger. I usually do the area around North Mundham didn't really know about the ones at Westhampnett as not usually on that road.

I'll have stern words to say to my brother next time I speak to him!!!

D

I have read that they get a lot of good birds drop in there from time to time Delia, but I think there are not to many areas you can view from, but I am not sure where exactly.
And as its surrounded by large roads it doesn't look very appetising to investigate.And according to the maps there are a few gravel pits you can not see from the roads, so I do not know if there is access to these.

Hi Roger

I can't help at all with the Westhampnett ones. But, as promised I've had some stern ;) words with my brother this evening and he said he will drive round that way tomorrow and report back to me. He thinks the lake on the town side of the by-pass is still being worked so don't think you can get access to it.

I know there are footpaths go right through. Some of the lakes are reserved for nature, some for fishing and others for watersports. This is why I do the ones at North Mundham. Not sure if you're local to the area or how well you know it. If you don't know it too well, there is a big car park off a track where the traffic lights are. There's not much restriction to access in this part.

At least these chats are keeping your thread live, so someone else may come in with some info.

D

I've just looked in the excellent book Best Birdwatching Sites in Sussex by Adrian Thomas and Peter Francis, published by Buckingham Press (would be well worth your while getting this, I use it so much). It says what you had already surmised, that these pits are private, and the only way to view some of them is by using public footpaths, so a good map must be got, or borrowed from your library. But it does say it's well worthwhile giving them a go. 30-45 species can be expected.

I live in Bognor Regis Delia, and have fished at the North Mundham lakes lots of times and occasionally have a walk round with my bins.
The reason I asked about the other lakes is that I have seen reports a few time on http://www.sos.org.uk

I was going to investage yesterday on my way back from Pulbourough brooks , but just as I got to chichester the heavens opened . So I gave up.

Roger.

Oh, you are very local then, I wasn't sure - send some rain up here will you (perhaps not they'll forget to turn the tap off then LOL).

Where are all the W Sussex members? I thought some of them might have joined in by now. I know there are some not far from you.

Thanks for the link to SOS. A good one for me to keep an eye on. Can see why you want to get to those lakes. My niece did a bird count there when she was at school but my brother couldn't remember exactly where they went. Am still waiting to hear from him how he got on today.

D

Hi Roger, I'm back again with a report from my brother. I don't know if this is where you have already been but..

On the Chichester by-pass, continue on at the roundabout instead of taking the A27 to Arundel and head for Westhampnett, in the village there is a road that used to go to Shopwyke (now cut off by the A27), a short way down this road is the access to the lake, you can walk round and there are fishing stances. The lake on the other side of the A27 is fenced off with no access.

D

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back