• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Location gizmo! (1 Viewer)

Reg10

My camera does not have GPS and I do not have a smart phone and if I did it would be switched off.

Without hours poring over a OS map at the time how can I log the exactish location of where I take a photo?

Does anyone use a product that will just log my location at a push of a button and then allow me to download onto Google Earth or something similar.

I am in the UK so unless available in UK not interested, thanks

Reg.

This one seems to be well reviewed and only £36 but GPS logging is all it does, for a bit more you could get a full GPS or even a smartphone that will do the GPS logging and a lot more besides and will even let you make phone calls!

What camera do you have, I have a Nikon D7000 and use it with a Opteka GPN-1, can be picked up for about £25 - and it works, I now geotag all my photos with it and the accuracy can be startlingly close.

I also use it with 'Geosetter' to fine tune or edit location data, you could use geosetter on its own if your memory is good and 'assign' locations and even direction with it.

Use a Canon currently and there doesn't appear to be an equivalent to the Opteka GPN-1 sadly, however thanks for the tip about Geosetter.
Looks like I will have to wait for Santa Claus and a handheld GPS, overkill for my needs but I will cope!!

Peter, Thanks for the offer but with the wealth of newer technology available I think I shall wait and see what comes to market in the rest of 2012/early 13

Reg

Anyone who is interested in a simple and inexpensive data logging device should try one of these from http://www.i-gotu.com/ I have had mine a few days and it has faithfully mapped my walks around the Lake District and also logged where I took my photographs. Simple to use and the supplied software is very good.

Available from various places at various prices, I got mine for less than £30.00.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back