• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice on MP3 Players for Bird Songs. (1 Viewer)

bellow

Hi Everybody,
I need your help. I want to download some birdsongs to play out in the field,but don,t want to spend loads of money on an ipod. I have been checking some MP3 players with intergrated speakers but none of them actually give information ,that they can be used on their own and how loud they are when played.As you probably realise I want to play the song and hope to bring the bird closer so as to take photos.Any advice would be appreciated.
Roly.

As you probably realise I want to play the song and hope to bring the bird closer so as to take photos.

FYI: many birders (and photographers) would not consider that an acceptable use of playback. It certainly is not putting the bird's interests first. Seems more like you are using the bird as a toy for your amusement. But there are arguments on both sides. I'm not trying to start a debate, just making you aware that what you propose is controversial.

Jim

Many thanks for your comments.I,ve seen an "experieced birder" use this,and firstly I would never use playback in the nesting season.I couldn,t subject them to the stress at such a sensitive time.Having seen it used,to view a "Yellow Browed Warbler"which was on transit to migration,it was played for approx.8/10 secs and the bird showed for less than 10secs,once realising that there was no other rival about, disappeared as quickly as it arrived.I think I,ll stick to normal methods of patience and stealth.

I guess these days most smartphones probably do everything you would want, although you may want a bit more volume in which case some external speakers might be helpful. With an MP3 player, the most important thing would be that it's easily searchable in the field.

Can I also recommend you have a read of the following:
http://www.sibleyguides.com/2011/04/the-proper-use-of-playback-in-birding/

I'd agree, rather redundant these days, use a phone.

And the debate has raged and raged, please let's not go there again!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back