• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mouse and Laptop (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
I had a mouse with my old laptop that after a couple of years suddenly became difficult to work with... it scrolled and everything OK, would wouldn't highlight text... it would start then drop the highlighting. I checked the mouse on a PC and it worked perfectly. So I wondered if it was my aging lappy.

I've now got a new laptop but the old mouse had the same problem on this one. So I bought a new mouse. It's been working fine until a couple of days ago when it decided it didn't want to move to the left - up, down and right are fine. I've had to use a bit of old blanket on a place-mat to get it to work properly.

I've tried cleaning it, but can't find a way to open it up.

It's a Technika Mini Optical Mouse - the other one was optical too.

Is there a reason why mice don't work that well on laptops? Or should I look for a more expensive one, or a different type?

Hi Delia it might be something to do with how shiny the surface of the area your using the mouse on,
Warm regards Nick.

I use an optical mouse with my desktop. For that to work properly, I have to use some kind of mouse pad, and where I sit the most convenient thing is simply a clean piece of paper (or the back side of a piece with something printed on one side). It will only last so long but it is very cheap to replace ;)

Niels

Thanks both.

Generally the mouse works OK using the cork side of a place mat, but the cursor is inclined to 'stick', then 'jump' when moving the mouse to the left. Going right, and up and down is fine.

The only way it will work properly going left, is if I have this old bit of blank on the mat, which just seems so odd.

I've tried paper Niels, but it's just about uncontrollable LOL.

:-O

Actually, the paper was OK, it was controlling the mouse on it I struggled with Niels, the cursor just flew everywhere!

Right... I found and tried the sensitivity thing, which seemed to work for about 15 minutes, then it was back to sticky-jump on the left move again.

So yesterday I bought a new mouse. This time a more expense, wireless Logitech, which seems to be behaving perfectly. Let's see if it works for more than a month or two then.

You gave me an idea too, so I've looked into the sensitivity of the touch pad. I found I was constantly being taken away from what I was typing back a page (or more) which is just so frustrating. It may be that I'll need to disable it altogether, but not sure what happens if the mouse breaks?

I've been using Logitech for several years (both keyboard and mouse) and I've been quite happy with them.

Most laptops have an option to disable the touchpad, usually FN+F# (one of the function keys) or through the control panel,useful to stop accidental brushes withe the palm of your hand which moves the cursor or 'focus'

I too have a 'Technika' optical mouse (Tesco's own cheap brand), it does not distinguish between a single or double click - all in all its just rubbish, but only cost a few pounds.

Most laptops have an option to disable the touchpad, usually FN+F# (one of the function keys) or through the control panel,useful to stop accidental brushes withe the palm of your hand which moves the cursor or 'focus'

I too have a 'Technika' optical mouse (Tesco's own cheap brand), it does not distinguish between a single or double click - all in all its just rubbish, but only cost a few pounds.

Thanks Thorn... all other functions on that mouse worked fine.

Now then, I might look into the functions; if I know how to disable/enable the touch pad it'll solve any problem of what happens if the mouse breaks.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back